Page:

Why Do You Enjoy Your Favorite Poets?

Sartoris
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 4th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 22

I always enjoy talking and learning about other artists, in this case poets; along with reading, listening to other people's thoughts about them.

So I thought it would be enjoyable for us to share and discuss what resonates with us, personally, rather than just asking for people to surrender names (Haha.)

I'll just start with one, for now: Wallace Stevens. Probably the poet I, currently, have returned to most consistently since I was introduced to him in college, several years ago. My favorite piece is probably The Idea of Order at Key West, though it's nearly impossible to cite just one.

Like many others I love, he leaves me with a distinct impression that remains mysterious, even puzzling, at times. Able to write very short and longer pieces, whose tone ranges anywhere from absurdly humorous to clearly controlled reflections, and anything in between.

Though always written with a clear love, respect, and fascination for the power of language and words, as well as the power of sensibility and imagination.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

My favourite poets always force me into an emotional response (Good or Bad)

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5792

I was reading back some old forum threads tonight (I do that a lot) and came across this one and was surprised it didn’t get more love.

Firstly - Wallace Stevens. Thank you. A recent discovery of mine, but my god, the imagery that comes out of that pen is insane. I’m also captivated that he seems to do short poetry so well, which is not something you see terribly often from that particular time period. I mean, knock you on your arse well. It’s astonishing.

The Snow Man is my favourite of his so far, because it creates this empty canvas of emotion. A stark metaphor of  staying neutral in a world designed to pull us in multiple directions. It’s a stunning read.

I think to answer your question, one of my long term favourites that I return to time and time again is Donald Hall. He was one of the few poets that really allowed me to see that art could truly be made from grief.

Grief is one of those emotions that people shy away from because it’s difficult. And I get that. But Hall, man… he really climbs inside it. Explores his emotions, his relationships, his fears. And I think that absolutely inspired the way I art now.

So yes, thank you for this question. I do hope you get a few more answers.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Who do?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

… right… but what’s that got to do with your favourite poet?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
aliciasmith
Strange Creature
Joined 5th Mar 2024
Forum Posts: 2

following

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Maybe write some?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 33awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

Anyway… back on to the original theme of the thread:

Sartoris said:I always enjoy talking and learning about other artists, in this case poets; along with reading, listening to other people's thoughts about them.

So I thought it would be enjoyable for us to share and discuss what resonates with us, personally, rather than just asking for people to surrender names (Haha.)

I'll just start with one, for now: Wallace Stevens. Probably the poet I, currently, have returned to most consistently since I was introduced to him in college, several years ago. My favorite piece is probably The Idea of Order at Key West, though it's nearly impossible to cite just one.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5297

I enjoy reading my favourite poets because their truly takes me "there's. And that as I have said, imho, is the idea of art.

Page:
Go to: