Go to page:

Preference: Handwriting or Typing?

gothicsurrealism
Daniel Long
Thought Provoker
United States 6awards
Joined 26th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 138

Handwriting for taking notes when I'm out and about, I keep a small notepad with me wherever I go. Typing for when I sit down in my office and it's time to transcribe onto the computer and building either a poem or a scene for a short story.  

MediocrePoet
Strange Creature
Joined 25th May 2019
Forum Posts: 4

I use and enjoy both. The urge to sentimentally choose the pen is understandable, and I do always keep a pen and notebook close by. That said, there is such a benefit to seeing what your poem will look like in real time. Seeing the line breaks, stanza breaks, and even the physical appearance of the words on the page is incredibly beneficial when making edits or creative decisions.

Sartoris
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 4th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 22

The Swinburne Arms

Drinking beer and thinking of Swinburne's poems.
Watching time slip backwards as beer slips down, and
realising none of his work is present
at The Swinburne Arms.
Written by AnonymousBystander
Go To Page  
Going further, has anyone started out by primarily using one method, then gradually moving over into the other?

AnonymousBystander said:Yes.  I've tried sonnets (https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/321736-email-reply/), Pushkin sonnets (https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/322919-lbc---leading-britains-condescension/), terza rima (https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/323937-english-lane/), villanelles (https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/324995-truck-stop-or-the-repeal-of-the-truck/), sapphic ()[/url] ... I didn't realise I've done so many until I wrote this note.  (It still doesn't come easy though: one other point to mention, I've posted poems even though I know that they could or should be better, the sapphic is an example of such).

I think that my next 'strategy' is to try and write something in iambic pentameter (one of the things I'm working on is a court case from the 1720s) and either leave it in blank verse or put some rhyme in it.  The point is just to practice the meter though.

ps I don't know why the poem appeared in the thread?

It's partly because I haven't worked with specific verse forms, but there's a couple you've mentioned that I don't know of at all. The "Pushkin sonnet" for one (how many varieties are there...?!) (Haha.)

Speaking of metre again, I've never quite understood how the stresses work. If unused to writing in this way, does one develop an 'ear' for it?

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

"Speaking of metre again, I've never quite understood how the stresses work. If unused to writing in this way, does one develop an 'ear' for it?"

Yes but it isn't easy.

There are some good links on the web about iambic pentameter where wanna be actors get into the rhythm of Shakespeare's iambic pentameter in his blank verse.  That is a good 'in' (or it was for me); by repeating their exercises I good 'feel' it.  It all sounds a bit hippy-dippy nonsense but if you find the websites you'll know what I mean.

There are lots of resources for scansion to get you thinking about it ... I found For Better for Verse https://prosody.lib.virginia.edu/ a really useful resource.

I also found Anglo Saxon meter really useful to 'feel' a rhythm ... I've got some links but not to hand at the moment ... will post later (as well as the Shakespeare ones).

Ladyehawk
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2016
Forum Posts: 5

I like to use a pen and paper to work out what I'm going to say.  Once the poem is written, I type it into my computer

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

I like writing in blood LOL

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5299

David_Macleod said:I like writing in blood LOL
Mate you remind of my teenage years...when a friend my bro wrote a love letter to his girlfriend in blood. Only that the blood in that case was from a chicken butchery near his home.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Maeve
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 1st Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 1

I love the aesthetic of handwriting. It's intimate to have all your writing bundled up in a notebook. I'm also very narcissistic in the sense that I enjoy looking at my own handwriting. However, with longer pieces of writing, typing is always a go-to. You never hear about writers writing novels on paper anymore. Too many pages. And graphite smears; I can attest to that.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Maeve said:I love the aesthetic of handwriting. It's intimate to have all your writing bundled up in a notebook. I'm also very narcissistic in the sense that I enjoy looking at my own handwriting. However, with longer pieces of writing, typing is always a go-to. You never hear about writers writing novels on paper anymore. Too many pages. And graphite smears; I can attest to that.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I am curious - do you find your handwriting changes over the years?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I am curious - do you find your handwriting changes over the years?

I wish it would - so that it became more readable!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

I wish it would - so that it became more readable!

LOL! You may get your wish, old man!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

LOL! You may get your wish, old man!

LOL I hope to be equipped with a bionic hand like Lee Majors!

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

LOL I hope to be equipped with a bionic hand like Lee Majors!

LMAO! Now I've got the theme song in my head!  And Lindsey Wagner! LOL!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

LMAO! Now I've got the theme song in my head!  And Lindsey Wagner! LOL!

And the sound effects!

Go to page:
Go to: