Tea and Poetry

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
31awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 77

Miss_Sub said:If you like vulnerable and powerful, also check out Adrienne Rich. Granted, she writes on more feminist themes, but itís always powerful and wonderfully imagined.

I have read Rich's work ... you are right ... she is strongly feminist ... also resonates strongly with me ...

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

Hey all ... been a while since I posted ... thought I'd share a poetry book I just finished. It is The Day's Light Reddens the Leaves of the Copper Beech by Stephen Dobyns. This is the first poetry book of his that I have read. To me he is an interesting blend of Mary Oliver and Billy Collins. His poetry can be moving emotionally and stirring intellectually. Some are very humorous, like Parable: Horse. One part of the book is titled Sixteen Sonnets for Isabel ... it brought me to tears. Each of the poems is about his wife finding out she has cancer. It goes thru the emotional rollercoaster that he felt as he watched his wife get sicker and sicker, then die. I would recommend the book for its variety in poetry styles and his poetic range. I for one will definitely be reading more of his work in the future.

LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

I have been reading Strength in Silhouette by T.L. Cooper ... it is a collection of poetry describing the challenges and joys of being a woman. There is much focusing on being in and then leaving an abusive relationship. The main signet of her poetry is the powerful use of repetition ... sometimes a beginning word ... a slightly altered phrase or altered line ... she uses it to such great effect.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

Oh Mary Oliver ... I love her ... I have read Dobyns ... The Day's Last Light Reddens the Leaves of the Copper Beech was an excellent collection ... he also reminded me a lot of Oliver's poetry. My poetry prof was a big time Mary Oliver fan and turned me onto her poetry ...

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

I usually start with paperback ... but if I really love a book I will splurge and get the hardback ... I prefer to have actual poetry books than ebooks ... because I write all over the poems I read ... underlining ... writing comments in the margin ... capturing the experience ...

Need to check out this book ... thanks for recommending

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LilDragonFly
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 22nd July 2017

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

I buy way too many books ... keep them all ... running out of space to store them ... ... I too love writing retreats ... the best ones I have gone to are at Kripalu ... a yoga institute in the Berkshires in Massachusetts ... there I get to do the two things I love most ... writing and yoga ...

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Sartoris
Sartoris
Twisted Dreamer
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 4th Mar 2019
Forum Posts: 22

I'm rather unfocused when it comes to reading poetry collections (durgh...,) but for awhile lately I revisited Dickinson's Complete Poems. It's one of my very favorite books, considering it a primer and source of spiritual cleansing. Might consider venturing into somebody "new," once the library's are available again.

And since tea is mentioned, I generally drink black (at the moment usually either lapsang or darjeeling,) but also really loving peppermint.

Since Adrienne Rich was mentioned, are there any volumes recommended? I've been interested, based on some pieces in one of my Norton anthologies.

Josh
Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
35awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 811

Does this thread include books about (writing) poetry? (For example Strong Words [Modern poets on modern poetry], W.N.Herbert & Matthew Hollis (eds), published by Bloodaxe, 2000; Poetry Writing [the expert guide] by Fiona Sampson published by Robert Hale, 2009)

SheriGoddart75
SheriGoddart75
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 25th Sep 2020
Forum Posts: 3

Yes, I think you are absolutely right. I completely agree with you.

SheriGoddart75
SheriGoddart75
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 25th Sep 2020
Forum Posts: 3

I completely agree with you. Thanks for your reply Could you tell us more?

Go to page:
Go to: