Go to page:

Tea and Poetry

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 96

Those of you that know me know that I have a ritual of reading a poetry book with herbal tea (licorice) in the afternoon. I am a voracious reader of poetry books using my stubby pencil to underline words, accentuate line breaks, and make comments in the margins - something one of my poetry professors taught me. So I thought I would see if you would join me with a recurring discussion of poetry books I've read and maybe share some that you have enjoyed.

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

The Lioness Awakens by Lauren Eden is a recent book that I purchased at B&N (Barns & Noble) that is one of the best collections of poetry that I've read in a long time. The poetess is from Australia and has a short crisp style of poeting that I particular enjoy and practice. The work is divided into five sections: Prey, Captivity, Sharpening the Claws, Nine Lives, and Pride. She writes about life's challenges from the female perspective. I know for me her poetry resonated so very deeply.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

Hey Bender ... coffee is welcome ... so glad you stopped by ... I have milk and honey ... I liked her poems as well ... she does such a great job of emoting/evoking ... while avoiding the "oh poor me" tone that I read in so much poetry ...

poet Anonymous

Weeds and wildflowers by Alice Oswald is an anthology I like to pick up intermittently.

As for tea, I consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur. Currently obsessed with a ginger & sweet cherry lapacho blend. Always nice to meet another tea fan.

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

I've not read Oswald ... I will have to check her out ... what do you like about her poetry ...

poet Anonymous

It’s Earthy, and grounded. I also like that there’s a subtle metaphor that runs through her work. Sometimes it’s downright despair knotted into something beautiful.

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

Sounds like my kinda poetry ... I have put it on my Amazon wish list so I can check it out ... I see by your quote you like Anne Sexton ... so do I ... I read her complete works and letters for a poetry course ...

JusTim_
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 22nd Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 171

Maybe tea tomorrow as I have indulged on my secondish glass of wine...reading some hardcore Dostoevsky

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

Hey JT ... thanks for stopping by ... wine goes well with Dostoevsky ... which of his works are you reading ...

poet Anonymous

LilDragonFly said:Sounds like my kinda poetry ... I have put it on my Amazon wish list so I can check it out ... I see by your quote you like Anne Sexton ... so do I ... I read her complete works and letters for a poetry course ...

Anne Sexton is (in my opinion) the finest female poet of her kind. Totally untouchable.

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

I so agree ... she was a blend of strong and vulnerable that leaves me in awe ... her daughter published an autobiography, Half In Love, that shared her perspective on growing up with a bipolar mother and having the disease herself

JusTim_
Tyrant of Words
United States 26awards
Joined 22nd Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 171

LilDragonFly said:Hey JT ... thanks for stopping by ... wine goes well with Dostoevsky ... which of his works are you reading ...

Notes From The Underground

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017

Haven't read that one ... yet ... hope you enjoy it

poet Anonymous

If you like vulnerable and powerful, also check out Adrienne Rich. Granted, she writes on more feminist themes, but it’s always powerful and wonderfully imagined.

Go to page:
Go to: