Page:

can we talk about adjectives and their (over)use?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5266

as they say each to their own...and in my own case i have found a natural aversion, somewhat deterrence or simply put off-putting the over-use of the adjectives

yes they add color, that more stress or let's just say movement in some cases to the writer's projection.

in reality, just like most other things in life, the overuse/abuse can defeat the purpose.. the following articles if you read objectively might help add that much solidity to your work.

intention here is to share some tips i felt will help the interested souls

https://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-goal/write-first-chapter-get-started/nobles-writing-blunders-excerpt

https://electricliterature.com/the-case-against-adjectives-6fde3b10dfac

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/books/chapters/0311-1st-yago.html

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2288

Voltaire: "The adjective is the enemy of the noun."

I enjoyed the articles - good food for thought and digestion.

In my old college days, if a TA at UCLA came up with this I would have taken it as a challenge and wrote a paper using only (or predominantly)  adjectives and adverbs.
No, my English TA said she didn't want to see cliches in our papers (I was a Freshman who was put in a class with Juniors and Seniors) and being the rebellious student I was, I wrote about cliches.  LOL!  She tried to give me a <D> for the class and I had to see the Prof to get an upgrade.

Just sharing a memory that this subject conjured up.
I DO appreciate the info.
Thank You    :)

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Tallen said:Voltaire: "The adjective is the enemy of the noun."

I enjoyed the articles - good food for thought and digestion.

In my old college days, if a TA at UCLA came up with this I would have taken it as a challenge and wrote a paper using only (or predominantly)  adjectives and adverbs.
No, my English TA said she didn't want to see cliches in our papers (I was a Freshman who was put in a class with Juniors and Seniors) and being the rebellious student I was, I wrote about cliches.  LOL!  She tried to give me a <D> for the class and I had to see the Prof to get an upgrade.

Just sharing a memory that this subject conjured up.
I DO appreciate the info.
Thank You    :)

Thank You Tallen for reply and equally for sharing your memories.

Appreciate both. Immensely.
😊

poet Anonymous

I guess this is a bit of an argument between the minimalists and those who are naturally descriptive.

Personal preference and all that jazz.

I’m very aware that on certain occasions, only adjectives will do. I think I’m more opposed to cliché than the humble adjective.

Oshinome
Lost Thinker
United States 1awards
Joined 11th Feb 2018
Forum Posts: 11

Bravo... But why should the adjective and the adverb bear the brunt of this criticism. In many cases, if not all, the noun could be dropped as easily as the adjective, while still conveying the intended expression. Same goes for the verb/adverb relationship. In fact a noun could even suggest some form of verb, and so on.
However, it is apparent that within the organism of a given work (or some portion of it) there is a natural balance of elements which is allowed by the work itself. Though, this call for a more careful usage of the adjective and adverb is worthy.
The noun and the adjective are born out from the roots of some antique lineage, where grows the seed of both.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Oshinome said:Bravo... But why should the adjective and the adverb bear the brunt of this criticism. In many cases, if not all, the noun could be dropped as easily as the adjective, while still conveying the intended expression. Same goes for the verb/adverb relationship. In fact a noun could even suggest some form of verb, and so on.
However, it is apparent that within the organism of a given work (or some portion of it) there is a natural balance of elements which is allowed by the work itself. Though, this call for a more careful usage of the adjective and adverb is worthy.
The noun and the adjective are born out from the roots of some antique lineage, where grows the seed of both.
thankyou thankyou
i felt like i was taking a bath in a wonderfully deep bath filled to the brim with fragrant waters and topped off with bubbles

ok, first typed 'bubles' but one buble is enough, michael :D

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Miss_Sub said:I guess this is a bit of an argument between the minimalists and those who are naturally descriptive.

Personal preference and all that jazz.

I’m very aware that on certain occasions, only adjectives will do. I think I’m more opposed to cliché than the humble adjective.

Welcome your presence dear friend.

True, use of the adjective is necessary and unavoidable as it is a part of speech after all and we're talking about writing and poetry here . Just the overuse is what I mean here, hence the title of the thread.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

In my experience...
descriptions are a tight rope. a balancing act.

I do notice my eyes wonder in a read when they are overused. having said that I have the same problem with pronouns, I find the overuse of pronouns very difficult to read.

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021
Forum Posts: 5737

cold_fusion said:as they say each to their own...and in my own case i have found a natural aversion, somewhat deterrence or simply put off-putting the over-use of the adjectives

yes they add color, that more stress or let's just say movement in some cases to the writer's projection.

in reality, just like most other things in life, the overuse/abuse can defeat the purpose.. the following articles if you read objectively might help add that much solidity to your work.

intention here is to share some tips i felt will help the interested souls

https://www.writersdigest.com/writing-articles/by-writing-goal/write-first-chapter-get-started/nobles-writing-blunders-excerpt

https://electricliterature.com/the-case-against-adjectives-6fde3b10dfac

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/books/chapters/0311-1st-yago.html

I found the articles interesting, especially the second that goes into the top reasons publishers will reject manuscripts. How less is more, and that writing should always require the imagination of the reader and not just be served up to them on a plate.

… I’ll be honest, I can totally get behind that sentiment.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Northern_Soul said:

I found the articles interesting, especially the second that goes into the top reasons publishers will reject manuscripts. How less is more, and that writing should always require the imagination of the reader and not just be served up to them on a plate.

… I’ll be honest, I can totally get behind that sentiment.

https://www.kseniaanske.com/blog/2016/2/8/dont-explain-stupid-your-reader-is-not-an-idiot

.😊

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

cold_fusion said:
https://www.kseniaanske.com/blog/2016/2/8/dont-explain-stupid-your-reader-is-not-an-idiot

.😊

“Your job as a writer is merely to record.”

… what a perfect fucking article. *chefs kiss*

Summarises many of my frustrations with writing.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Northern_Soul said:

“Your job as a writer is merely to record.”

… what a perfect fucking article. *chefs kiss*

Summarises many of my frustrations with writing.

I am glad that that resonated with you too. 😊

Northern_Soul
-Missy-
Tyrant of Words
England 32awards
Joined 10th Jan 2021

cold_fusion said:

I am glad that that resonated with you too. 😊

Oh absolutely. 💯

Page:
Go to: