Page:

Choosing a Form

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

How do you go about choosing a form when writing a poem?

AB

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

generally speaking , the poem tells me what form it should take. never do I plan it ahead of time.

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018

Thanks for the reply.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Unless I feel like attempting a particular form, everything that comes out is its own unique form that I never repeat.

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

GingeryJosiff
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 3

I have no knowledge of poetry though have always loved lyrics, specifically rap lyrics. Often wanting to have a go myself but never doing so I "discovered" spoken word and performance poetry and thought it something i can have a go at.  I prefer choice of structure and tempo that peotry affords (rather than being tied to a backing track). Probably only vaguely related to your thread, sorry

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018

No apologies necessary; thank you for taking the time to consider, and reply to, the question.

Nari
Laura Jean
Fire of Insight
Luxembourg 3awards
Joined 2nd July 2018
Forum Posts: 273

Intent, intuitive feel ie how does it flow; does it need to be romantic-poem, everyday language-prose, confessional-narrative, brevity-haiku, rant and rave-free verse, mimic the traditionalists-sonnet...hot topic...

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018

What you you mean by free verse?  Do you mean a unique form that you worked out before writing; or, do you mean no form at all?

Page:
Go to: