Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Magdalena, why did you leave DUP?
JJ

Magdalena said:

On the most part this is me from when I first started writing and purging at the age of 18 and now, 37 years later.
I went through a phase in the middle where I wrote for competitions and such, got published in a few anthologies and put into the libraries of the UK, won $100 first prize in poetry writing comp.

Now I don't really give a toss whether I write or not, whether I'm read or not and so on. I do however love creating audio poetry, for that on the most part, I need to write, but I struggle to find it in me anymore.

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

Honestly no if you don't have anything deep or lyrical to say there's a difference between poets vs people who think they are poets and the ones who have big egos and try to one up actual poets when their so called poetry is trash then they ain't poets they're wannabe shakespears with trash writes

poet Anonymous

MsRockyJackson said:Honestly no if you don't have anything deep or lyrical to say there's a difference between poets vs people who think they are poets and the ones who have big egos and try to one up actual poets when their so called poetry is trash then they ain't poets they're wannabe shakespears with trash writes

Worddd.

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2254

Is there not
shallow poetry
formed within
the shallow waters
of a plasic life

Is there not
deep ocean poetry
forged
in emotion
then hammered in thoughts
written down
in words
of pain

Scarred and Wounded
within ones mind
compound fractures
within ones soul
Spirit
borderline broken
painfully writing
sowing ones seeds
trying to find balance
between
surppressing ones empathy
and ones screams
writing
what one feels
is no
easy thing
one has to
walk
though the fire
then put pen
to paper
while the flames
burn you
to the bone

Deep

within your Soul

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

I am curious as to how many of us, have family, alive or dead with creative genetics.
See my opa(grandfather) is a published writer, avid reader, musician, definitely where my creativity comes from.

"that cat appeared as if the gust of a ghost".
That was said by my at the time 3year old daughter. Profound by any standard let alone, well she's 4 going on 5 now. If she choses to pursue her artistic gift as a writer, she is going to have a lot to say.

It is up to you the creator what your vision is. Are you just randomly throwing words about or are you making magic

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 2879

Anybody can be a poet ! I say this with the comprehensive values of passion for poetry, eager to learn, attitude towards criticism, etc. then yes.. anyboy can be a poet.  Also I say this with my experience. I never had a pasion for poetry as a kid. Its been like 5 years since I started writing poetry. I could laugh at my old poems, but it was a process.

But if the question was asked as in "can anybody be a poet within a night",  I say  No! -_-

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Many writers fail to understand that Poetry is a two way street.

It's not completely poetic if there isn't someone else reading who is making magic out of your words inside his or her mind.

A disconnect occurs when one or the other or both are making little effort necessary to "finish the poem".

One of the reasons why the music industry is so popular despite churning out some pretty awful lyrics is that the bulk of its listeners are more tuned into the feelings the sound of the music, voices and energy helps draw out. These things compliment and reinforce what is being sung about.

So .... if you can't get anyone to care about your poetry by adding music or vocals or conspiracy theories or smashing watermelons with a hammer, then you might want to invest some effort in connecting with others through choice of wording and subject matter alone.

Stoney223
WOLF BAY33
Tyrant of Words
United States 17awards
Joined 3rd Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 86

Yes it is in everyone to be a poet for a story teller is a poet of words that draws you into the depth of the mind and imagination, making you apart of the story line from beginning to end for poetry is like that for it tells a story about life and love and death reflections of the heart and soul and mind for I feel that we all are given a talent as a gift, for words are a powerful thing but to be able to express your feelings and emotions spiritually takes a deep mutual understanding of the depth of your subconsciousness to be able to just reach out and touch the mind and heart and soul through unspoken words just made from your imagination of your inner thoughts, and to put them into a work of a pure masterpiece done from the mind put together by pen and paper expressing your mind thoughts.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

JohnnyBlaze said:Many writers fail to understand that Poetry is a two way street.

It's not completely poetic if there isn't someone else reading who is making magic out of your words inside his or her mind.

A disconnect occurs when one or the other or both are making little effort necessary to "finish the poem".

One of the reasons why the music industry is so popular despite churning out some pretty awful lyrics is that the bulk of its listeners are more tuned into the feelings the sound of the music, voices and energy helps draw out. These things compliment and reinforce what is being sung about.

So .... if you can't get anyone to care about your poetry by adding music or vocals or conspiracy theories or smashing watermelons with a hammer, then you might want to invest some effort in connecting with others through choice of wording and subject matter alone.

Exactly, it's a matter of perception. What some consider trash others revel in. DU is a perfect example of that with its various genres and respective followers.  

If one studies hard, connects with quality critics ( I'm not speaking of those who merely rewrite your poem ),  and heeds honest critiques, yes - they can become a poet.  While some gifts are innate others are earned.

poet Anonymous

I think you only need look at the great bards of the past who captivated their audiences with their stories, their myths, their legends. They were the wordsmiths, the poets, the musicians... and they did that because they had a story to tell.

I’ve been captivated lately by the use of the word courage.

Courage usually refers to somebody who is heroic, but if you look at the word courage, the root of the word courage is cor - the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage meant "To speak one's mind by telling all one's heart."  (for more on this check out the incredible Brené Brown)

And that’s what you need as a successful poet — heart.

Like my good friend and mentor always says, “don’t even think of picking up that pen if you don’t have anything to say”.

And so I practice turning my heart into words. My vulnerable, wonky, colourful, sweary, musical, whole heart.

It has served me well.

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

Ahavati said:

Exactly, it's a matter of perception. What some consider trash others revel in. DU is a perfect example of that with its various genres and respective followers.  

If one studies hard, connects with quality critics ( I'm not speaking of those who merely rewrite your poem ),  and heeds honest critiques, yes - they can become a poet.  While some gifts are innate others are earned.

Agreed, I was talking with Eamon the other week, about his recent write, told him what I got from it, really felt it. Him telling how it took him a while to get it where he wanted it. We both agreed that if you are serious about writing, it's like a job you have to work hard on it

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14554

Carpe_Noctem said:

Agreed, I was talking with Eamon the other week, about his recent write, told him what I got from it, really felt it. Him telling how it took him a while to get it where he wanted it. We both agreed that if you are serious about writing, it's like a job you have to work hard on it.

I am sure knowing that greatly encouraged him, as well as infused him with connective energy that writers share.  Connection is a wonderful experience for any writer. It shows them they are not alone.  

Many great poets studied hard, obtained degrees ( some honorary ), and learned exactly how to open themselves up through working with others, e.g. - Eliot through Pound, Neruda through Lorca, and so forth. Reception is a vital component of becoming.  Writing can be wonderfully cathartic for those healing from broken homes or abuse;  it can teach a person how to release negative energy from past experiences, while retaining the positive energy of survival and growth that can be a light unto others; however, it can also be a challenge to someone who is not in touch with themselves due to a boa constrictor of history squeezing them shut.  

This is where the value of an experienced mentor comes into play, so that any aspiring writer may experience the fullness of energy that is poetry through dedication and diligent study. Even if they take baby steps throughout life.  We never finish growing or learning.

Even the most profound and recognized poets of our time are still becoming themselves every day through reading, writing, and connecting.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1737

I (used to) play the piano but never considered myself a pianist. I make sculptures but don't consider myself a sculptor. I make hand-weaving looms (occasionally) but don't consider myself a wood-worker. I look after 2 acres and grow stuff but I'm not a farmer. I write poetry - and consider myself a poet - the difference being, it is the activity that fundamentally energizes my life, gives me the most meaning, and I can't ever imagine tiring of it.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Anyone can become a poet, even overnight. Poetry is the free expression a writer writes down. Who is anyone to say - "It's not Poetry" or "It's not good poetry" That place belongs to arrogant critics who put people down in order to raise themselves up based on low self-esteem. Critiques aimed at hurting or discouraging new poets are completely invalid and not worth the paper they are written on. In all walks of life, there are those practising elitism any poet worth their salt should always be humble always be self-deprecating. The first sign of professional arrogance you should run the other way.

So it is too with intellectual snobbery which is simply bullshit. A person who never went to college is equally able to write good poetry as a graduate. It is intellectual snobbery that stops some writers from even trying, they get told they are not good enough or they don't have the right degree it is mindless thinking that allows the pseudo-intellectuals to put themselves at the top of the pile. You are told you must read the classics? WHY? by all means, educate your self on poetry forms and the use of words and grammar, learn about techniques of expression, plot twists, etc learn as little or as much as you can. But be original, break rules, invent new poetry forms and new ways of writing, please do not read the classics and the become a copy cat drowning one like some broken record Keats is Keats, Poe is Poe and you are you. A mentor can be useful on occasion as long as they are never negative and use positive motivation. the moment a mentor expresses negativity or tells you, you are wrong - even if they believe they are being honest then ditch the bitch. You have no further use for them.

everyone is free to be a poet and they have the freedom to use their own voice, their own words, their own intent, their own imagination, their originality is paramount despite what anyone else says.

For encouraging, positive critiques that let you be you go to:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/groups/poetry-medics/discussion/

Poetry Medics (The Only DU Official Critique group) and it's Free :-))))))))

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Poetry as an art form is basically for "Poets"...most people buy novels to read even if they do not write,,,most people buy music to listen to even if they play no instrument...most people have some form of art (painting, sculptor) in their house even if they create none themselves...most people got to the art gallery now and then...but poetry is different, at least here in Australia, poetry is for Poets in the main...most people who read poetry also write poetry...that's why it is truly the poor artists art form...but also the most honest form of art. So can anyone be a Poet? Will everyone read a poem? Only if they choose to...
Cheers...Harry

Go to page:
Go to: