Go to page:

Can anyone really be a poet?

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Off topic to the OP but in the response to what I have quoted. Did you know the stars in our solar system create music? Kind of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzeJq3CbiZM

Everything in the universe is pulsating and vibrating – nothing is really standing still! The sound Om, when chanted, vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz, which is the same vibrational frequency found throughout everything in nature.

As such AUM is the basic sound of the universe; so by chanting it we are symbolically and physically tuning in to that sound and acknowledging our connection to all other living beings, nature and the universe.

In addition the vibrations and rhythmic pronunciation also have a physical affect on the body by slowing down the nervous system and calming the mind similar to meditation. When the mind is relaxed, your blood pressure decreases and ultimately the health of your heart improves.

Josh said:

I agree. In the same way composers of old were attempting to reflect the divine (bring God nearer to people) through their music, likewise words (which are symbols) when put into a poetic form may help create a connection between the reader/listener and the Source of Life. If we accept every cell in the body holds our consciousness, then shifts in neural networks and other body reactions (remembering the gut has a brain with as many neural connections) is perfectly reasonably on hearing inspired music or poetry.
{Would be interested in any links to do with "how poetry alters the way our brains and bodies react"}

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1752

Ahavati said:A GREAT thread would be to post a poem that connects deeply with you.  It may introduce us to some amazing poetry - as well as revealing a bit about a member, and what they connect with.  It could be twofold: post a poem by a published poet that resonates - and one by a DU member.

A good idea; with the addition of why the poem is found to have a strong 'connect'. In that way we all learn how to see poems through differing lenses, accept the fact that 'poetry appeal' ranges from very individual to quite general, and that even though we all live in our own little bubbles of reality, there is common ground to be found in poetry - a fact that supports my theory that one day Poetry (and the creative process generally) is the only hope for humankind's survival.

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

It may be as somebody has pointed out that anybody who composes with words is a poet. I do not call myself a poet for this reason. I am interested in art not everybody who is a poet is an artist then. An artist has aesthetic and artistic objectives developed in and out coming from a profound relationship with reality art and existence. To aspire to be a poet is to a spire to be one of many who simply make plain inartistic reports detailing the trivial mundane sufferings of everyday existence. Those who aspire to be an artist whose medium is words are a different matter.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

and there are those who can sometimes post decent poetry who spend more time obsessing over others than the improvement of their talent

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

greyblueyellow said:It may be as somebody has pointed out that anybody who composes with words is a poet. I do not call myself a poet for this reason. I am interested in art not everybody who is a poet is an artist then. An artist has aesthetic and artistic objectives developed in and out coming from a profound relationship with reality art and existence. To aspire to be a poet is to a spire to be one of many who simply make plain inartistic reports detailing the trivial mundane sufferings of everyday existence. Those who aspire to be an artist whose medium is words are a different matter.

You know what? I think those who are serious about writing for the sake of writing ( and not socializing ) continuously strive to improve their craft.  And no matter how much they improve that craft throughout their lives, there will always be room for more improvement.  Every great writer knows this - and it distinguishes the mediocre from the great.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2296

During a morning meditation
i have concluded -- Yes, anyone can be, (become) a poet once the intense feeling awakens their soul

& now they want to express it !!!

I personally believe ALL CREATIVES are poets but some choose different paths to expression.

Go to page:
Go to: