Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Tallen said:

not meeeeeeeeee  LOL

i suck at judging spills

I meant for SOMEONE ELSE TO START A COMP

I think maybe just a nice speakeasy or poetry thread tributing DU poets would be adequate. I wouldn't make it a comp -

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Ahavati said:

I think maybe just a nice speakeasy or poetry thread tributing DU poets would be adequate. I wouldn't make it a comp -

Sounds delightful  

Just have to find a non-indolent person to start it, now...........

Ooooooooo, maybe butters?  

Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 223

Short answer no
Long answer no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Tallen said:

Sounds delightful  

Northern1 said:Short answer no
Long answer no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

( welcome back! )

Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 223

Ahavati said:

( welcome back! )

ty

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Josh said:

I agree. In the same way composers of old were attempting to reflect the divine (bring God nearer to people) through their music, likewise words (which are symbols) when put into a poetic form may help create a connection between the reader/listener and the Source of Life. If we accept every cell in the body holds our consciousness, then shifts in neural networks and other body reactions (remembering the gut has a brain with as many neural connections) is perfectly reasonably on hearing inspired music or poetry.
{Would be interested in any links to do with "how poetry alters the way our brains and bodies react"}

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7565/om-what-is-it-why-do-we-chant-it.html
on the chanting of om. aum, frequencies and vibrations.

by the same token, certain words resonate on different levels and can create underlying calm/tension/light/dark underlying moods in a poem, quite independent of the actual surface layer of the writing

Everything in the universe is pulsating and vibrating – nothing is really standing still! The sound Om, when chanted, vibrates at the frequency of 432 Hz, which is the same vibrational frequency found throughout everything in nature.

As such AUM is the basic sound of the universe; so by chanting it we are symbolically and physically tuning in to that sound and acknowledging our connection to all other living beings, nature and the universe.

In addition the vibrations and rhythmic pronunciation also have a physical affect on the body by slowing down the nervous system and calming the mind similar to meditation. When the mind is relaxed, your blood pressure decreases and ultimately the health of your heart improves.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Tallen said:

Sounds delightful  

sorry, butters is a bit bizzy right now making apple butter tomorrow - went out today to the localish orchard and came home with eaters, grannies for cooking apple-pie with and some others i can't for the life of me remember but a deep dark red skin for making the apple butter. probably gonna be moving soil from a-t for his mother who has some new pots of chrysanths she wants to plant

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

butters said:sorry, butters is a bit bizzy right now making apple butter tomorrow - went out today to the localish orchard and came home with eaters, grannies for cooking apple-pie with and some others i can't for the life of me remember but a deep dark red skin for making the apple butter. probably gonna be moving soil from a-t for his mother who has some new pots of chrysanths she wants to plant

Oooh Jan, how I miss gardening... and I LOVE apple butter! (especially if It’s homemade)
🍏🍎

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Jade-Pandora said:

Oooh Jan, how I miss gardening... and I LOVE apple butter! (especially if It’s homemade)
🍏🍎
my husband connects deeply to the earth and his toil is like religion to him; i love to plant and nurture, harvest and cook/eat, but when it's so hot i'm leaving it to him, lol

never made apple butter before - never even heard of it before i came over here, but looking at the ingredients i'm pretty sure there's not a lot can go wrong

i shouldn't have said that, should i?
famous.last.words.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

butters said:
i shouldn't have said that, should i?
famous.last.words.

I love that!

Btw, welcome to the world of apple butter.

And some trivia:  when I was able to go the extra mile when it came to cooking and baking specialty dishes from scratch:

My favorites to make (before my accident):
• homemade pomegranate jelly (harvested the fruit from trees in a neighbor’s orchard in October annually)
• homemade fresh peach pies with lattice crust, everything from scratch (I’d go to a small town, Little Rock, in the upper desert of Antelope Valley, CA in summer when fruit stands of growers there when the fruit was perfectly ripe were selling big crates of free stones for pennies on the dollar)

There’s more, but these two were my top specialties, and I’d give a lot of the jellies & pies away to family & friends.  I miss all that.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Jade-Pandora said:

I love that!

Btw, welcome to the world of apple butter.

And some trivia:  when I was able to go the extra mile when it came to cooking and baking specialty dishes from scratch:

My favorites to make (before my accident):
• homemade pomegranate jelly (harvested the fruit from trees in a neighbor’s orchard in October annually)
• homemade fresh peach pies with lattice crust, everything from scratch (I’d go to a small town, Little Rock, in the upper desert of Antelope Valley, CA in summer when fruit stands of growers there when the fruit was perfectly ripe were selling big crates of free stones for pennies on the dollar)

There’s more, but these two were my top specialties, and I’d give a lot of the jellies & pies away to family & friends.  I miss all that.

now you have to reap the wealth of all those memories

pie poems, anyone? :D

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015

butters said:now you have to reap the wealth of all those memories

pie poems, anyone? :D

Heheh... you’re absolutely right!  In fact, I have some poetry scattered hither & thither in my catalog with a food theme - tasty!

But as my favorite season slow-rolls in through October ( we in Cali aren’t there yet), I’m sure I’ll do a foodie or two.😉

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Jade-Pandora said:

Heheh... you’re absolutely right!  In fact, I have some poetry scattered hither & thither in my catalog with a food theme - tasty!

But as my favorite season slow-rolls in through October ( we in Cali aren’t there yet), I’m sure I’ll do a foodie or two.😉
looking forward to ingesting the fruits of your labour

and that's all the punniness i'm gonna resort to :D

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

lepperochan said:I used to watch the wonder years. probably on ch4 they seemed to get all the good stuff

just on the term -elitist-

for me its not necessarily a derogatory word. it can be of course same as most words if said in the right/ wrong tone.  art is notorious for harbouring elitists, it's well documented. true also people can hold elitist views without actually being of the elite. just one of those things

I think what we're talking about here ie poetry and poets can easily tease an elitist view from someone. my idea of an elitist view would be: someone who tries to close of an art to only those deemed worthy, in this case those who the person believes has written to a standard which meets his or her approval

or "a poem needs to be [insert criteria here] "

the problem I have with that kind of thinking is firstly in the definition of poetry. there is no true definition of poetry. there are no absolute parameters unless attached to a form of poetry. when I say anyone can write a poem I mean it literally. if your six year old son/ daughter/ niece etc etc strung 8 words together on a page for you and said (s)he'd written a poem for you would it be a lie ?

there's obvious craft in good poetry. it's well documented. even here it's apparent. at the same time -good- is subjective so let's say also there's obvious craft in poetry which can appeal to many. not everybody can write fine poetry or poetry which will stir feelings, etc, but anyone can write a poem

if you disagree the French revolution will find you and take your head

nailed it.

Go to page:
Go to: