Can anyone really be a poet?

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1688

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Interesting point. Almost anyone can learn the 'forms' of poetry, some have a natural skill/talent in using it well (others have to sweat at it), but I reckon there is a third element which is the poet's personal journey up to the point they wrote the poem and the inner processing required for them to write it - ie: an element that cannot be learned as a form, and goes beyond gift/talent/hard-work.
And welcome to DUP.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

fuck, i did it

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Josh said:

Interesting point. Almost anyone can learn the 'forms' of poetry, some have a natural skill/talent in using it well (others have to sweat at it), but I reckon there is a third element which is the poet's personal journey up to the point they wrote the poem and the inner processing required for them to write it - ie: an element that cannot be learned as a form, and goes beyond gift/talent/hard-work.
And welcome to DUP.

Here in America there was a show back in the late 80 early 90's called 'The Wonder Years'.  Not sure if they showed it in other countries ( this was waaaay before extended cable, Netflix or Hulu ).  Episode entitled CODA in which the star of the show, Kevin Arnold, was talking piano lessons, but didn't feel as technically good as another student, Ronald. The teacher attempted to explain there was a difference in technicality and instinct, which she felt Kevin had if he would apply himself more.

Kevin ends up dropping out for fear of embarrassing himself at the recital.  He lives to regret that decision, and the episode ends with him playing Canon in D.  Each family member stops what they are doing to listen to him.  This clip does not show the recital, but parents and guests were fidgeting and feigning interest while listening to Ronald's mechanical style, while Kevin's family, who had previously, and for the most part ( with the exception of his mother ) mocked the noise he was banging out during practice, now  willingly stopped and listened to his natural ability to connect with music beyond the mechanics of reading sheet music.  

It also revealed to Kevin that he could connect naturally if he would apply himself.

It's something that can't be explained; only felt when experienced.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36cDEfpatRQ

That, to me, is poetry.  

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>
Welcome to DU.
This sums it up my views.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

Derogatory is only for the guilty of the conscience.
If one's not an elitist then I wonder why it stings. 😊

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

I used to watch the wonder years. probably on ch4 they seemed to get all the good stuff

just on the term -elitist-

for me its not necessarily a derogatory word. it can be of course same as most words if said in the right/ wrong tone.  art is notorious for harbouring elitists, it's well documented. true also people can hold elitist views without actually being of the elite. just one of those things

I think what we're talking about here ie poetry and poets can easily tease an elitist view from someone. my idea of an elitist view would be: someone who tries to close of an art to only those deemed worthy, in this case those who the person believes has written to a standard which meets his or her approval

or "a poem needs to be [insert criteria here] "

the problem I have with that kind of thinking is firstly in the definition of poetry. there is no true definition of poetry. there are no absolute parameters unless attached to a form of poetry. when I say anyone can write a poem I mean it literally. if your six year old son/ daughter/ niece etc etc strung 8 words together on a page for you and said (s)he'd written a poem for you would it be a lie ?

there's obvious craft in good poetry. it's well documented. even here it's apparent. at the same time -good- is subjective so let's say also there's obvious craft in poetry which can appeal to many. not everybody can write fine poetry or poetry which will stir feelings, etc, but anyone can write a poem

if you disagree the French revolution will find you and take your head

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

lepperochan said:I used to watch the wonder years. probably on ch4 they seemed to get all the good stuff

just on the term -elitist-

for me its not necessarily a derogatory word. it can be of course same as most words if said in the right/ wrong tone.  art is notorious for harbouring elitists, it's well documented. true also people can hold elitist views without actually being of the elite. just one of those things

I think what we're talking about here ie poetry and poets can easily tease an elitist view from someone. my idea of an elitist view would be: someone who tries to close of an art to only those deemed worthy, in this case those who the person believes has written to a standard which meets his or her approval

or "a poem needs to be [insert criteria here] "

the problem I have with that kind of thinking is firstly in the definition of poetry. there is no true definition of poetry. there are no absolute parameters unless attached to a form of poetry. when I say anyone can write a poem I mean it literally. if your six year old son/ daughter/ niece etc etc strung 8 words together on a page for you and said (s)he'd written a poem for you would it be a lie ?

there's obvious craft in good poetry. it's well documented. even here it's apparent. at the same time -good- is subjective so let's say also there's obvious craft in poetry which can appeal to many. not everybody can write fine poetry or poetry which will stir feelings, etc, but anyone can write a poem

if you disagree the French revolution will find you and take your head

ok, so if it doesn't stir feelings, it hasn't connected - so is it still a poem?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

a poem will always have the potential to connect. indeed a reader connects to a poem initally with his or her mind. that connection is instantious. but more than that a poem or any poem will hold the potential to connect on a deeper level for all its life. even without stirring feelings ie could be relatable, or interesting etc.  at what point in its life or after how many readers would you shut it down (so to speak) and call it not a poem

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

A GREAT thread would be to post a poem that connects deeply with you.  It may introduce us to some amazing poetry - as well as revealing a bit about a member, and what they connect with.  It could be twofold: post a poem by a published poet that resonates - and one by a DU member.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

lepperochan said:a poem will always have the potential to connect. indeed a reader connects to a poem initally with his or her mind. that connection is instantious. but more than that a poem or any poem will hold the potential to connect on a deeper level for all its life. even without stirring feelings ie could be relatable, or interesting etc.  at what point in its life or after how many readers would you shut it down (so to speak) and call it not a poem simple - i wouldn't. if it has 'connected', it has stirred something, emotionally

i like what you say about a poem having the potential to connect on deeper levels all its life. that resonates.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:A GREAT thread would be to post a poem that connects deeply with you.  It may introduce us to some amazing poetry - as well as revealing a bit about a member, and what they connect with.  It could be twofold: post a poem by a published poet that resonates - and one by a DU member. sounds interesting

people need to credit poems, of course, and if they belong to a dup member i'd suggest ask their permission first? i'm saying that (might be because i'm not yet familiar with all the bells and whistles) whenever i try to post links they almost always end up as showing the whole in the post i made rather than simply the link.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:sounds interesting

people need to credit poems, of course, and if they belong to a dup member i'd suggest ask their permission first? i'm saying that (might be because i'm not yet familiar with all the bells and whistles) whenever i try to post links they almost always end up as showing the whole in the post i made rather than simply the link.

I've got so much on my plate right now I wouldn't dream of it!  I just like to throw down ideas in relation to poetry when I get them. Put the vibration out to the Universe, so to speak. Let it gravitate toward another poet. Maybe an elitist!

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

I've got so much on my plate right now I wouldn't dream of it!  I just like to throw down ideas in relation to poetry when I get them. Put the vibration out to the Universe, so to speak. Let it gravitate toward another poet. Maybe an elitist!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Ahavati said:A GREAT thread would be to post a poem that connects deeply with you.  It may introduce us to some amazing poetry - as well as revealing a bit about a member, and what they connect with.  It could be twofold: post a poem by a published poet that resonates - and one by a DU member.

This could be a wonderful comp
similar to HF's comp that took an eternity to be judged  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

This could be a wonderful comp
similar to HF's comp that took an eternity to be judged  

You can do eeet!

Go to page: