Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2282

butters said:
any old scrawl?

that, i suppose, will always be in the eye of the beholder.

tell me, though, if you will - a novice banging out notes on a piano, in tortured disinterest because they are made to, or a person who'd rather die than cook slinging a tv dinner into the microwave and putting it on a plate... do those renditions of sound or food qualify as 'music' and 'cookery'?

I am not certain if my example is applicable to this discourse but gonna share, anyways........

I took a college course (1980's i think) called Music & Motor Skills (a Child Dev course) and one of the assignments for us was to come up with 2 pages worth of notes and the Prof would play on the piano.  No one in the class knew music (most were Preschool Teachers upgrading their credential or Parents looking to Home School).

When the day came for all of us to submit what we'd come up with EVERYONE IN THE CLASS  either marveled or hated me because my piece sounded like a real something or other!!  I tried to tell them that i used an algebraic equation to help me with this assignment.  

Did this make me a potential musician?  

Are we not quibbling about a cornucopia of different fruits and vegetables?

(sorry to intrude.........just adding my 2 cents, again    )

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Tallen said:

I am not certain if my example is applicable to this discourse but gonna share, anyways........

I took a college course (1980's i think) called Music & Motor Skills (a Child Dev course) and one of the assignments for us was to come up with 2 pages worth of notes and the Prof would play on the piano.  No one in the class knew music (most were Preschool Teachers upgrading their credential or Parents looking to Home School).

When the day came for all of us to submit what we'd come up with EVERYONE IN THE CLASS  either marveled or hated me because my piece sounded like a real something or other!!  I tried to tell them that i used an algebraic equation to help me with this assignment.  

Did this make me a potential musician?  

Are we not quibbling about a cornucopia of different fruits and vegetables?

(sorry to intrude.........just adding my 2 cents, again    )
it certainly makes you a potential composer! lol

you obviously have a natural flare for sound, which was reflected in your composition

intruding? it's just a discussion of ideas and you are most welcome

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1732

butters said:there's nothing i enjoy more than reading someone whose words leave me feeling changed

there are studies about the physical effect on the body by music, how it affects brain and body and those changes are most often relfected in goosebumps! i've heard people sing and come out in goosebumps and the hairs on my neck standing to attention. those same studies are being linked now to how poetry alters the way our brains and bodies react. most of us will never write the sort of material to give anyone goosebumps, but the studies are very cool :D

I agree. In the same way composers of old were attempting to reflect the divine (bring God nearer to people) through their music, likewise words (which are symbols) when put into a poetic form may help create a connection between the reader/listener and the Source of Life. If we accept every cell in the body holds our consciousness, then shifts in neural networks and other body reactions (remembering the gut has a brain with as many neural connections) is perfectly reasonably on hearing inspired music or poetry.
{Would be interested in any links to do with "how poetry alters the way our brains and bodies react"}

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Josh said:

I agree. In the same way composers of old were attempting to reflect the divine (bring God nearer to people) through their music, likewise words (which are symbols) when put into a poetic form may help create a connection between the reader/listener and the Source of Life. If we accept every cell in the body holds our consciousness, then shifts in neural networks and other body reactions (remembering the gut has a brain with as many neural connections) is perfectly reasonably on hearing inspired music or poetry.
{Would be interested in any links to do with "how poetry alters the way our brains and bodies react"}
cognitive poetics is a good place to start, but i'll see if i can scare up some of the links you're after

a link to peter stockwell's pdf file on cognitive poetics
http://www.cxrlinguistics.com/UploadFile/201112194315914.pdf

here's a link to how it affects our brains and bodily responses
https://www.mic.com/articles/103490/why-we-should-all-be-reading-more-poetry

and a more detailed, scientific article, here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5597896/

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1732

butters said:cognitive poetics is a good place to start, but i'll see if i can scare up some of the links you're after

a link to peter stockwell's pdf file on cognitive poetics
http://www.cxrlinguistics.com/UploadFile/201112194315914.pdf

Thank you; I'll check it out.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5253

Miss_Sub said:I think anything can be poetry

... but it takes talent to make that poetry become words.

Gem.
Now if only the elitists would have both the eyes and the brains to understand that.

poet Anonymous

cold_fusion said:

Gem.
Now if only the elitists would have both the eyes and the brains to understand that.

Be interested to see what you mean by "elitists" and explain the terminology because to me it's being used as a ways and means of dismissing a persons point  by being "elitist" in your own opinion...

This by the way is not meant as an attack of any sort but a ways of clarifying. Elietist is a scornful term and comes loaded with derogatory tones.

Also be interested in who you feel is being elitist if you mean anyone in this thread...

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Commentonly said:

Be interested to see what you mean by "elitists" and explain the terminology because to me it's being used as a ways and means of dismissing a persons point  by being "elitist" in your own opinion...

This by the way is not meant as an attack of any sort but a ways of clarifying. Elietist is a scornful term and comes loaded with derogatory tones.

Also be interested in who you feel is being elitist if you mean anyone in this thread...

Those who know they are not need not worry my friend. This is referring to those members of human population both on DU and in society in general, who are dismissive and disrespectful for looking down on other humans's efforts at art.
Naming names is not necessary. If someone is not an elitist then they should be free of worry. If their guilty conscience is making them worried then I have to say it's nothing one can do about it.

Rest assured its not about you dear friend.

poet Anonymous

cold_fusion said:
Those who know they are not need not worry my friend. This is referring to those members of human population both on DU and in society in general, who are dismissive and disrespectful for looking down on other humans's efforts at art.
Naming names is not necessary. If someone is not an elitist then they should be free of worry. If their guilty conscience is making them worried then I have to say it's nothing one can do about it.

Rest assured its not about you dear friend.

Hahahahah

Typical of a relativist, or maybe even dare I say it a religious fundamentalist

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Commentonly said:

Hahahahah

Typical of a relativist, or maybe even dare I say it a religious fundamentalist

Guilty consciences eh... Not funny but yes make me laugh too, what they push some to do

poet Anonymous

cold_fusion said:
Guilty consciences eh... Not funny but yes make me laugh too, what they push some to do

No guilt here, just attempting to get a straight answer instead of what appears to be condescension. A straight answer and we night be able to press forward, innuendo and avoidance isn't worth a great deal.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Commentonly said:

No guilt here, just attempting to get a straight answer instead of what appears to be condescension. A straight answer and we night be able to press forward, innuendo and avoidance isn't worth a great deal.

A straight answer is a trap some use to get people into trouble. So dear friend I have clearly mentioned that you are not any way near those people. Perhaps you can ask me in pm if you want to know the who's and why's.
There's no reaction without an action first. Denial of laws of nature is the trait of the narcissists.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Miss_Sub said:I think anything can be poetry

... but it takes talent to make that poetry become words.
innate poetry of a 'thing' (a moment, a thought, an inanimate object, the sweat on a horse's flank - anything), when a writer can translate that into words to do it justice, it becomes a poem. to render innate poetry into a poem does, indeed, take a degree of talent.

most talents are innate - it's how we develop those talents by practise, learning, observation and thinking that allows people to be able to write a poem or craft a sword

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Commentonly said:

one man's "elitist" is another man's "regular poet"; elitism appears to be in the eye (and minds) of certain people who apply it without any regard to its true sense and, yes, as a derogatory term.

oh well, fuckin' poets

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: