Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
74awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3364

butters said:

that phrase: it connects. why? because most people have had fathers and a vastly different range of experiences/emotions that go with that. those who've had good, loving fathers cannot help but hurt for the boy who feels unloved; those who feel the same about their fathers will connect through the vehicle of shared pain; fathers who've loved their child well will feel their heartstrings pulled for the child who feels unloved; the father with the estranged child (for whatever reason) may feel th pain of the child as well as their own for the emotional distance between them and their own.... and so on and so forth

it. connects.
it's raw.
it bleeds.

and those without a poetic bone in their bodies might think 'self-centred twat should get up off his arse and do something useful'

subjectivity :D

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 433

somewhere on my phone i've a link to sound-studies that another write sent me years ago. it elaborates on how sound - specific repetitions/patterns etc - can induce (in both writer and reader) a more receptive state of mind, almost akin to hypnotism. it makes for really fascinating reading. if i can find it, i'll post it in case anyone wants to read it.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:somewhere on my phone i've a link to sound-studies that another write sent me years ago. it elaborates on how sound - specific repetitions/patterns etc - can induce (in both writer and reader) a more receptive state of mind, almost akin to hypnotism. it makes for really fascinating reading. if i can find it, i'll post it in case anyone wants to read it.

Mos def.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

and this is a fab quote from psychology spot (here... https://psychology-spot.com/heres-what-happens-in-your-brain-when/ ) :

"Poetry has the ability to send powerful emotional messages and activate reflection, though it is true that the greatest pleasure of reading a poem, as when we enjoy a work of art, does not come from profound reflection, but from the sensations we experience. In fact, Vladimir Nabokov said that one should not read with the heart or the brain, but with the body."

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

Mos def.
it goes into how you tune out from everything around you (as a writer) and opens parts of your mind to more easily access that which would normally not be available consciously; as a reader, the patterns induce that same openness, connecting you more deeply and cognitively with the poem's intent. something like that. basically, opens our receptors, free of charge and ingestion :D

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2077

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:it goes into how you tune out from everything around you (as a writer) and opens parts of your mind to more easily access that which would normally not be available consciously; as a reader, the patterns induce that same openness, connecting you more deeply and cognitively with the poem's intent. something like that. basically, opens our receptors, free of charge and ingestion :D

It's called channeling, and I do my best writing that way. It's as though poetry has its own frequency and once you tap into that vibration it flows.  Not to say my other writing isn't good - but there's something about channeled writing that seems so much more spiritually in depth - as though the poet really had no part of it.

the5thRiddler
the5thRiddler
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Aug 2019
Forum Posts: 166

Yeah. Look at all the people trying to be like Emily Dickson in this thread - poetry without a title.

Josh
Josh
Dangerous Mind
Portugal
26awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 371

butters said:and this is a fab quote from psychology spot (here... https://psychology-spot.com/heres-what-happens-in-your-brain-when/ ) :

"Poetry has the ability to send powerful emotional messages and activate reflection, though it is true that the greatest pleasure of reading a poem, as when we enjoy a work of art, does not come from profound reflection, but from the sensations we experience. In fact, Vladimir Nabokov said that one should not read with the heart or the brain, but with the body."

I think Nabakov's comment about reading with the body is in alignment with the famous Emily Dickinson quote that poetry should produce a visceral (body) reaction:
""If I read a book [and] it makes my whole body so cold no fire ever can warm me I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only way I know it.  Is there any other way".

greyblueyellow
greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 33

What is ''any old scrawl''? there are works of varying quality - this is the reality. How we then designate it is moot.

greyblueyellow
greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 33

In that case the best poetry I saw was the cask of amontillado

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Josh said:

I think Nabakov's comment about reading with the body is in alignment with the famous Emily Dickinson quote that poetry should produce a visceral (body) reaction:
""If I read a book [and] it makes my whole body so cold no fire ever can warm me I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry. These are the only way I know it.  Is there any other way".

I loved her. she had such insight.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1041

greyblueyellow said:In that case the best poetry I saw was the cask of amontillado

"When you write in prose, you cook the rice. When you write poetry, you turn rice into rice wine.
Cooked rice doesn't change its shape, but rice wine changes both in quality and shape.
Cooked rice makes one full so one can live out one's life span . . .
wine, on the other hand, makes one drunk, makes the sad happy, and the happy sad.
Its effect is sublimely beyond explanation."

-                                             ----- Wu Qiao

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Josh said:

there's nothing i enjoy more than reading someone whose words leave me feeling changed

there are studies about the physical effect on the body by music, how it affects brain and body and those changes are most often relfected in goosebumps! i've heard people sing and come out in goosebumps and the hairs on my neck standing to attention. those same studies are being linked now to how poetry alters the way our brains and bodies react. most of us will never write the sort of material to give anyone goosebumps, but the studies are very cool :D

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

greyblueyellow said:What is ''any old scrawl''? there are works of varying quality - this is the reality. How we then designate it is moot.
any old scrawl?

that, i suppose, will always be in the eye of the beholder.

tell me, though, if you will - a novice banging out notes on a piano, in tortured disinterest because they are made to, or a person who'd rather die than cook slinging a tv dinner into the microwave and putting it on a plate... do those renditions of sound or food qualify as 'music' and 'cookery'?

Go to page:
Go to: