Need we take an interest in the poetry of the past?

88.89% • 16 votes • YES: It will inspire, educate and encourage us
11.11% • 2 votes • NO: It is irrellevant and unhelpful to us today
Total votes: 18
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Need we take an interest in the poetry of the past?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Courtesy of Ahavati 💜, I just now started reading The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

Up until now, I've read perhaps a dozen poems on the Internets by established poets such as Poe or Ashbury. Never had I owned or read a book of poetry. The Prophecies of Nostradamous some might say qualifies, but I dismiss that as a book of riddles without answers.

I'm 47 and have written poetry in 10 of the last 15 years.

It can be done, but if I could go back in time and do things differently, I would read everything I could get my hands on pre-Internets.  I WISH I was introduced to poetry at a young age.

A hundred to a thousand years from now, should anyone take an interest in your poetry? If you hope someone should or will, then there is your answer.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

JohnnyBlaze said:Courtesy of Ahavati 💜, I just now started reading The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

Up until now, I've read perhaps a dozen poems on the Internets by established poets such as Poe or Ashbury. Never had I owned or read a book of poetry. The Prophecies of Nostradamous some might say qualifies, but I dismiss that as a book of riddles without answers.

It can be done, but if I could go back in time and do things differently, I would read everything I could get my hands on pre-Internets.  I WISH I was introduced to poetry at a young age.

A hundred to a thousand years from now, should anyone take an interest in your poetry? If you hope someone should or will, then there is your answer.

👏💜

poet Anonymous

JohnnyBlaze said:Courtesy of Ahavati 💜, I just now started reading The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

Exactly where I'm coming from. If anyone thinks that he/she is god gifted and can do without the poets that have come before us, then let me say that it is a foolish statement and that all that we are doing here is useless! Useless is the community and the reading, commenting and writing. It would be very presumptuous to think that we should be read and the greats who came before us are a useless read! J.

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

My thoughts on the question,

"That went by, this may too."

poet Anonymous

AnonymousBystander said:My thoughts on the question,

"That went by, this may too."

All finishes. Greatness remains! History has proven so.

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

My quote didn't go that far back, only to old English - I thought it apt since we still use English.

poet Anonymous

AnonymousBystander said:My quote didn't go that far back, only to old English - I thought it apt since we still use English.
All languages have descended from Greek, Latin and German, with traces of Arabic. At least in the West. So old English is archaic and a language of all due respect. J

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Juvenalis66 said:
Exactly where I'm coming from. If anyone thinks that he/she is god gifted and can do without the poets that have come before us, then let me say that it is a foolish statement and that all that we are doing here is useless! Useless is the community and the reading, commenting and writing. It would be very presumptuous to think that we should be read and the greats who came before us are a useless read! J.

Anyone who thinks that they are "god gifted"  are over valuing themselves.

Just because you cannot do without the poets that have come before you does not mean every writer can't. It is a preference not a requirement.

To say this site would be rendered useless otherwise is a foolish statement. This site is a place for those who enjoy writing, a place for expression and learning if one chooses. Not everyone comes here soley to be read and to receive comments. There are some who do not even accept comments. It's a place for like minded people to come together. There are some who will put their work here and not interact with anyone. I could go on and on about the different reasons people come here and how great this site is because it is not full of judgmental elitist snobs  like some of the poetry sites I have been on. The ones where they rip some writers works apart and make them feel like shit, for them to never return, no matter how young they are.

write_er
Write-er
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 30th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 43

What's past is prologue.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

[ Birthday 2018 ] Inspires

Art      
inspires further Arts and Poetries      

Poetry      
inspires further Poetries and Arts      

Love      
inspires further Loving      

---what we're no longer coveting      

All these creative wonders
poured into the Universe
from our Heart's desires      

Love      
rendered onto canvas      

Love      
tendered into verse      

Love      
inspires      

Written by JohnnyBlaze
Go To Page  

Something else to consider regarding established poets or any artists of the past.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

[ Birthday 2018 ] Inspires

Art      
inspires further Arts and Poetries      

Poetry      
inspires further Poetries and Arts      

Love      
inspires further Loving      

---what we're no longer coveting      

All these creative wonders
poured into the Universe
from our Heart's desires      

Love      
rendered onto canvas      

Love      
tendered into verse      

Love      
inspires      

Written by JohnnyBlaze
Go To Page  
JohnnyBlaze said:

Something else to consider regarding established poets or any artists of the past.

Brava! 👏💜📝❤

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 729

Here's what I think, the word 'poetry' is defined by what has already been written that we refer to as 'poetry',
So in order to create new 'poetry', we must first learn the definition of the word by studying poetry that has already been written.  It evolves, and we can be a part of that, but it can't really be reinvented, (like the wheel).

So, yes I agree studying classic poetry is important, it helps if you just love it :)

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5262

PoetsRevenge said:Here's what I think, the word 'poetry' is defined by what has already been written that we refer to as 'poetry',
So in order to create new 'poetry', we must first learn the definition of the word by studying poetry that has already been written.  It evolves, and we can be a part of that, but it can't really be reinvented, (like the wheel).

So, yes I agree studying classic poetry is important, it helps if you just love it :)

Spot On!

Go to page:
Go to: