Go to page:

The current state of poetry

AdamW
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom 1awards
Joined 24th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 7

rozetta said:in a time of real war, every word can be felt as a weapon by some faction or other

so let's use words not only to defend ourselves, but protect each other too

I  like what you say here Rozetta.

As for the current state of poetry, after a quick look around this site i find it appalling.

Becoming acquainted with poetry, like musicianship or needlework and much else, was a familiar process taking place over many years a few generations ago.

in our hectic times a different attitude is required and seems to me to be detrimental to the achievement of many valuable capabilities.

Poetry has always had an important place in culture and ,although we are currently languishing in the doldrums, it is certain to remain of great importance long after our laughable phase.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1337

AdamW said:

Poetry has always had an important place in culture and ,although we are currently languishing in the doldrums, it is certain to remain of great importance long after our laughable phase.

I wouldn't say we are languishing in the doldrums. there are fantastic poets that are working, and publishing, today. right now. On this site, in magazines, in books, in spoken word videos.

maybe it's different from the past, but it's not laughable.

in my very humble opinion.  

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

yes I would agree with daisy, there are certainly quality poets at work today and everyday, as well as a lot of dross.

but really I think that one should only focus on doing the best that one can do, whatever the rest of the world is doing...well....it is whatever it is, and it is beyond your control anyway, so best not to worry about it...

CArpeNoctem_
CN_
Twisted Dreamer
Netherlands
Joined 1st Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 8

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. @snugglebuck

Like you Cancer changed my life. I did won, but it cost me a lot.

Poetry was/is something in which I can lay in my deepest thoughts/ feelings. A way out of some sorts, or a way in.

Like you this isn't my real name. But to use this one does provide space. It does pronounce all my inner feelings, thats why I use it. Friends call me; Alice.

Poetry means more to some, than sunlight upon their face. Yet both aren't bad for the soul;-)

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Bless you Alice,
Your words flatter me.  And never be afraid to share your gift of poetry.  Such light shouldn't be hidden from others.

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

The evolution, the spectrum of poetry as I know it has been exponential since I started writing ( I was twelve, I will be 41 in a couple of months). From metered, iambic, or haiku to free verse and even terse verse, the options are nearly limitless. I say nearly only because I do not consider myself educated nor experienced to say more than that. I remember in school being taught strict iambic pentameter and despairing at one point because sonnets (while beautiful to read) were not my forte!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

inechoingsilence said:The evolution, the spectrum of poetry as I know it has been exponential since I started writing ( I was twelve, I will be 41 in a couple of months). From metered, iambic, or haiku to free verse and even terse verse, the options are nearly limitless. I say nearly only because I do not consider myself educated nor experienced to say more than that. I remember in school being taught strict iambic pentameter and despairing at one point because sonnets (while beautiful to read) were not my forte!

Funny You should mention sonnets (not funny for me, though)
as i wrote a crippled sonnet -- my first ever and my last ever as i struggle to rhyme, let alone arranging syllables with fucking feet in a line just rightly so.......

& although educated, i've never taken courses for writing or poetry and so i'm just muddling my way around here
often, with lots of mud on my face.  

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019

There was a point where I was writing villanelles, and then I was like, y'know what? It's pretty and all, but not me. This was pre-12 year writer's block - I must have been 18,19? It was fun, I could do it, but the way I write now is more me. It's totally organic from start to finish. Every single word feels right, fits in its' space, and I couldn't care less about rhyme or any other rules. I learned about poetry in English class in school, no training here either. So I am there with you, my face muddy too! :)

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

Right on!

I believe reading a lot influences my ink spills.  My favorite English class i took was Olde English.  Loved that course and fell in love with Chaucer.

I feel most comfortable with free-verse almost Prose-like (maybe some of it is Prose but maybe too terse to be)

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019

I agree with that. I loved the Decameron and the Divine Comedy. I say it in past tense as I haven't read them in forever. For me, it's a literal process. I write it out in whatever words come to mind first, then rearrange it, then type it and whatever words feel slightly off get looked up in the thesaurus.  Whatever words spark that 'aha' in me, there is the new word. A final rewrite and done. I leave it and never look back. Each piece is done in one day because I capture the moment in the moment. I well may feel totally different the next day. The concept could sit for weeks, but each piece is written start to finish in one day. If it rhymes, great. If not, also great. I totally adore terse verse and try to incorporate that even into rhyming pieces. But yeah..sorry for the book :D

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Terse Verse Dispersed It's A Curse Without An Ending

Like Some Words Written That Some Be Defending

A Poem Ripped Apart By Some Spirit Apprehending

Mending Bending Tending Unending Human Trending

Go to page:
Go to: