Go to page:

The current state of poetry

poet Anonymous

snugglebuck said:This is one of the most insightful threads I've read on DU's forums.  

I'd like to contribute a few thoughts of my own that are based on my experience and are in no way intended to be a commentary on other's contributions.

As many of you already know, though I contribute to DU under the name snugglebuck, my name is Kim Solem.  I started writing poetry in 1990, yet I never shared it with anyone till I was diagnosed with stage four cancer in 2012.  Till then I never had the confidence to submit my work to any forums, whether it be online or print.  But like Walter White from 'Breaking Bad' I underwent a personality transformation, so much so, Walter became my muse of sorts.

Like Walter's alter ego Heisenberg, mine was snugglebuck.  And just as Walter's friends and family were shocked to discover this new dimension to his personality, so were my acquaintances to find I write poetry.  Especially erotica.  Keep in mind, I was a quiet unassuming guy who lived outside a very small rural Wisconsin town, who had worked at the same place for 25 years.  As a consequence, I impressed a few, but shocked and disgusted many by the revelation of my poetry.  But like Walter White, when it comes to those I've disappointed, I don't give a shit!

But enough about myself.  I just wanted everyone to know how my life experience has influenced my opinions about the current state of poetry.

In the past, I would have never considered self publication.  I feared being labeled a vanity author.  But in the last five years the world of the printed word has changed dramatically.  Ebooks have changed everything.  With traditional publishing houses going belly up like goldfish in an oxygen starved fish tank, selling a book of poetry is harder than ever.  So, just like Walter White I'm going to say "to Hell with the old rules," and try to publish an ebook on my own.  

Though, I'm in remission, one thing cancer has taught me; life is short, very short.  So, my fellow poets, most of who are more talented than me, do what you have to do to promote your art.  Don't leave it molding in a drawer or stuck in a hard drive.  Your talent is to good not to share.

Scribble on.

Amen. Just Amen.

Thank you. You may have helped me more than you realise.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14567

Miss_Sub said:

Amen. Just Amen.

Thank you. You may have helped me more than you realise.

What she said. ^

Thank you for sharing, snugglebuck.  And please post your publication in the DU Published author's thread when you do. 📕

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

This thread was temporarily locked and hidden by myself, in my role as a Moderator, as it had quickly spiraled into a personal pissing match between members rather than a balanced argument on the merits and state of contemporary poetry, however one defines the art form.

The thread will stay locked for another day or two, until other issues can be resolved.

My deepest apologies to snugglebuck as your contribution to the thread was INCREDIBLE!

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

As a sign of recognition for my students, I display flags representing their families' heritage in my classroom.  I teach in a school that is 80% Latino with most students' families hailing from Mexico, various parts of the Spanish speaking caribbean, and South America.  I also have flags for students from France, Italy and Germany.

I have flags for the UK and Australia to rep my DUP poets.

Today I hung a Texas flag at the front of the room for snugglebuck.

I originally got it as a sign of support after the devastating storms that rocked the Houston area last year (and for my San Antonio Spurs).

I wasn't going to display it this year, but then I read about snugglebuck's fight.

When students or their parents ask,  "Why Texas?"  ... I'll tell them "it's for a poet I know who's an incredible fighter.  He fought cancer, and won."

... with that said, this thread will reopen tomorrow ... please bring positive commentary.

It is certainly within your rights as members to debate, but please be respectful.

Thank you.

(P.S. The flags are 3 ft. x 5 ft. = 91.44 cm x 152.4 cm)

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

... and we're back ...

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

So many kind comments on my post.  You all want to make me cry.

Keep up the good ink.

Hellarchy
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Oct 2016
Forum Posts: 5

Personally I think the silliest thing is that heavily editing, rhyming, and counting syllables is discouraged and even frowned upon. Why does work that takes all this effort get shunned in favor of poems with like 5 lines, no rhyme and no apparent rythm? I don't know. Both are valid

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1365

Hellarchy said:Personally I think the silliest thing is that heavily editing, rhyming, and counting syllables is discouraged and even frowned upon. Why does work that takes all this effort get shunned in favor of poems with like 5 lines, no rhyme and no apparent rythm? I don't know. Both are valid

Where does it get shunned? From literary mags? There are online publications that have taken some of my rhyming/strict form pieces. You just have to search them out. Like I said a few pages back, magazines editors are allowed to be subjective. It’s their magazine. You don’t send English sonnets to a magazine that only publishes free verse and haiku.

While free verse has been around for centuries, I’d say it became extremely popular with the beat poets and we haven’t looked back. Here in America at least. We are people who like to break rules and cause a ruckus. Which is exactly what the beats did. They broke all the rules with poetry.

I’m not saying traditional forms are not relevant. I absolutely love trying my hand at them and REALLY love haiku and tanka. There are powerful pieces written by members here who use traditional forms and I applaud them for it.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Nicely said , Grace...and fair ;

I am averse , myself , to heavy editing , and counting syllables ;

Rhyming , however is my main thing ;

I just hear the rhyme / song in my mind , and the words flow ;

I have written much Haiku in my past , all lost through time...

I like free form , with structure , in combination...

As far as Snugglebuck's experience : and I am very glad you

came out the other side of your health challenge , Snugglebuck ,

I had something somewhat similar , and life changing almost two

years ago , when I had  esophageal varices , lost 3 1/2 quarts of blood ,

and almost died ; I stopped breathing in the 2 1/2 hr drive in ambulance...

I was in the hospital for a week after the operation ;

Since then , I was inspired back to my poetry , carving , and teaching code ;

( doing seminar in L.A. , two weeks from now , going to read poetry in Venice ,

Ca. while I am there in public on boardwalk , while selling my antler carvings )

So I know how that urgency and impetus feels , especially being 64 ;

I used to read in Berkeley in 1970's , when some of the Beat Poets were still

around , and found great inspiration from those who broke the rules of poetry ,

and also committed acts of civil disobedience...

Then , when rap first came around , I was not a big fan...

As it progressed , however , I loved it , and have been influenced by many in the genre ;

Classical poets , and the Bard himself , have played into the mix...

Allen Cohen lived here in a commune , where I live now , and each year we have a major

Writer's Conference , including poetry ;

http://mcwc.org/blog/

Jazz poetry is not only celebrated and performed here , yet taught in the schools ;

This man has been one of our local treasures , incorporating poetry , jazz , and painting together ;

http://tobypoet.com/

Poetry is alive and well in my area...has been for a long time...

Of course , I do love much of the poetry , and many of the poets here...especially those strange !

Hellarchy
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 23rd Oct 2016
Forum Posts: 5

I'm glad that your breathing resumed function when you reached that junction!
It's great that we're all alive and well, you both have inspiring stories to tell
And Daisy, that's just the impression I get, but I don't let others' opinions make me fret
I'm probably wrong about that anyway, acute paranoia, what can I say?

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

For those looking to publish, this is a great resource.  The subscription rate is well worth it if you’re looking to get your work out there on different platforms ...

https://duotrope.com

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

Short notice ... I found this ezine on Duotope.  Robocup Press is a fave of mine ... the theme of their next issue is LABOR, due date September 15 ... so rummage through what you’ve got, and submit it to them.  If it’s a piece already published on DUP, you may have to take it down while it’s up on their pages ...

Cheers

https://www.robocup-press.com/hence-tirade.html

Sex_on_the_Joe
Joe-D
Fire of Insight
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 274

I'm in love with the power self expression gives to me.... It allows me to take control of the feelings I feel especially when I cannot control the situation or outcome....  Self expression is my escape pod from this cruel and evil world....why have a mind when you cannot exist, why have a tongue when you can not speak, and why have hands when you cannot write..... This is the power of self expression, to let the world know who I am and what I stand for

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: