<< post removed >>
poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 2678

Miss_Sub said:I do and have been successful in submitting to online publications, ezines and the such. I also tend to look for local publishing opportunities, projects, collections etc

I dunno, I kinda feel that self publishing is a bit of a cop out. If I had a pound for every time someone on here thought they were hot shit because theyíve self published Iíd be a rich woman.

Iím not slating people that do, Iím just saying that for me personally itís too easy. You havenít really worked for anything, youíve just put your words into a prettier format. Never really understood that.

Congratulations.  

I have had a bit of local success in newspapers, newsletters, and social periodicals; however, they weren't serious literary publications.  Probably just a local name more than anything else ( or they wanted free photography services LOL! ).  

That was years ago.  

I'm on the fence with self-publishing, which is why I haven't sought out that avenue. There are pros and cons.   I worry for others that it may hurt their chance of publication through a reputable publisher, though others have been successful.

I submitted to Sequestrum once, and heard back in less than three weeks because they found them on DUP, which disqualified me.   I thought having them hid would prevent such, but apparently there's a cache.  I even blocked them from public view during the process; however, cache . . .

Even though they strongly urged me to submit unpublished pieces, I kinda took that as I sign I should probably just keep doing what I'm doing.   Removing them altogether would remove the time-stamp, and thus proof of original publication date. There was a poet here who deleted their entire account and was pretty much plagiarized on a lot of work, but could do nothing to prove it.

Let that be a lesson to all poets here.  

I do wish there was a way they could be made unsearcheable for such purposes.  

poet
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
93awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 26th June 2011
Forum Posts: 7708

Ahavati said:

Congratulations.  

I have had a bit of local success in newspapers, newsletters, and social periodicals; however, they weren't serious literary publications.  Probably just a local name more than anything else ( or they wanted free photography services LOL! ).  

That was years ago.  

I'm on the fence with self-publishing, which is why I haven't sought out that avenue. There are pros and cons.   I worry for others that it may hurt their chance of publication, though others have been successful.

I submitted to Sequestrum once, and heard back in less than three weeks because they found them on DUP, which disqualified me.   I thought having them hid would prevent such, but apparently there's a cache.  I even blocked them from public view during the process; however, cache . . .

Even though they strongly urged me to submit unpublished pieces, I kinda took that as I sign I should probably just keep doing what I'm doing.   Removing them altogether would remove the time-stamp, and thus proof of original publication date. There was a poet here who deleted their entire account and was pretty much plagiarized on a lot of work, but could do nothing to prove it.

Let that be a lesson to all poets here.  

I do wish there was a way they could be made unsearcheable for such purposes.  

... the cache is quite a useful tool. Itís saved my ass a few times on the DU, but also been useful to look up good memories from past poets who are no longer with us.

Iím not sure why publishers insist on not publishing in other places to start with. I know itís an exclusivity thing but I feel the nature of poets IS to write, and that detracts from that slightly.

poet
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 26th June 2011

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

I have self published in the past. I think thatís what made me dislike it so much. It felt unrealistic. In terms of being noticed though, youíve got as much chance of winning the lottery.

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:

... the cache is quite a useful tool. Itís saved my ass a few times on the DU, but also been useful to look up good memories from past poets who are no longer with us.

Iím not sure why publishers insist on not publishing in other places to start with. I know itís an exclusivity thing but I feel the nature of poets IS to write, and that detracts from that slightly.

I guess everything has it's positive / negative aspects.  It's not that I dislike the cache; it definitely has a purpose ( as you've pointed out ).  I only wish there was an option for poets applying to bypass it.  

You're right in that writing ( and I'll add feedback ) is essential to poets.  But what better way to submit than after garnering feedback?  And what better exposure than a published poet than to credit DUP?

But then, enter cache . . .

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1274

That's just stereotyping.

Face the music: there's just as much badly written poetry as there are badly written songed poems

At least the poorly crafted songed poetry can be compensated for with enjoyable music.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet
Miss_Sub
- Missy -
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
Joined 26th June 2011

Ahavati said:

I guess everything has it's positive / negative aspects.  It's not that I dislike the cache; it definitely has a purpose ( as you've pointed out ).  I only wish there was an option for poets applying to bypass it.  

You're right in that writing ( and I'll add feedback ) is essential to poets.  But what better way to submit than after garnering feedback?  And what better exposure than a published poet than to credit DUP?

But then, enter cache . . .

Usually the responsibility for what it caches lies with the website owner. Iím quite sure if it was a major comp the webmiss would be able to wave her magic wand so to speak. Details of whether this was possible would actually be quite useful for future reference. Maybe the webby could weigh in on that some time.

I understand how feedback is important to some.

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Miss_Sub said:

Usually the responsibility for what it caches lies with the website owner. Iím quite sure if it was a major comp the webmiss would be able to wave her magic wand so to speak. Details of whether this was possible would actually be quite useful for future reference. Maybe the webby could weigh in on that some time.

I understand how feedback is important to some.

It would be an awesome site tool.  I can see it now: The Publication Something or another.  

I was probably projecting my own need for a second ( or third ) set of eyes to comb for mistakes and offer suggests.📝👀

poet
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1274

https://youtu.be/Ah4f62bYAcw

I disagree to agree with you.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Dangerous Mind
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 821

I have to agree with Johnny Blaze here...

There are many good poets in Rap and Hip Hop...

I know a few here on DUP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MitZ-C0tgQ&list=RDQBsA2ETp7JA&index=7

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet
snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States
69awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1713

This is one of the most insightful threads I've read on DU's forums.  

I'd like to contribute a few thoughts of my own that are based on my experience and are in no way intended to be a commentary on other's contributions.

As many of you already know, though I contribute to DU under the name snugglebuck, my name is Kim Solem.  I started writing poetry in 1990, yet I never shared it with anyone till I was diagnosed with stage four cancer in 2012.  Till then I never had the confidence to submit my work to any forums, whether it be online or print.  But like Walter White from 'Breaking Bad' I underwent a personality transformation, so much so, Walter became my muse of sorts.

Like Walter's alter ego Heisenberg, mine was snugglebuck.  And just as Walter's friends and family were shocked to discover this new dimension to his personality, so were my acquaintances to find I write poetry.  Especially erotica.  Keep in mind, I was a quiet unassuming guy who lived outside a very small rural Wisconsin town, who had worked at the same place for 25 years.  As a consequence, I impressed a few, but shocked and disgusted many by the revelation of my poetry.  But like Walter White, when it comes to those I've disappointed, I don't give a shit!

But enough about myself.  I just wanted everyone to know how my life experience has influenced my opinions about the current state of poetry.

In the past, I would have never considered self publication.  I feared being labeled a vanity author.  But in the last five years the world of the printed word has changed dramatically.  Ebooks have changed everything.  With traditional publishing houses going belly up like goldfish in an oxygen starved fish tank, selling a book of poetry is harder than ever.  So, just like Walter White I'm going to say "to Hell with the old rules," and try to publish an ebook on my own.  

Though, I'm in remission, one thing cancer has taught me; life is short, very short.  So, my fellow poets, most of who are more talented than me, do what you have to do to promote your art.  Don't leave it molding in a drawer or stuck in a hard drive.  Your talent is to good not to share.

Scribble on.

Go to page:
Go to: