Go to page:

The current state of poetry

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

It could be a lot worse, but the Internets was a game changer.

And are we just going to pretend what comes out of our radios and Ipods isn't poetry set to music? Seriously.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

I can't agree with you more on the point of what the "real issues" are!  The true dividing line is "poverty" aka geoeconomics; hence the author's reference to China and its' potential global dominance (1893), and how it's manifested today.

Divisions by color, race, culture and or religion is just subterfuge manipulated by the global oligarchs, and their puppet politicians, to keep the tribes divided and fighting for crumbs amongst themselves.

Wars are fought with child soldiers in Myanmar, Congo, Colombia, Syria and Iraq, spurring terrorists attacks that drive up the stock price of arm manufacteuers (Did anyone here notice how arms companies' stock prices doubled while the US and North Korea engaged in a pissing contest over the last year?  Any of you poets see your stock portfolio benefit from it all?)

As to the point of this thread ... those same oligarchs dictate what's good art; what stories get told and when ... all to the benefit of their bottomline.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Who buys magazines anymore? That would be the last place I'd look to find poetry... Metaphorically Kubrick summed up the state of "The Arts" perfectly in Eyes Wide Shut... a bunch of self proclaimed nobodies in masks hire some beautiful prostitutes for a pompous orgy on some pompous estate to gratify their own selfish desires and overinflated egos, until one day shit gets out of hand when the debaucherous party gets crashed by some dick in a mask and a talented chick dies for no apparent reason... and now it's too late for a spoiler alert, but you get the picture.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14281

Surchoix,

Could you perhaps state who you're responding to if you're not going to quote them?  It's kinda hard to follow as it is now.

As an aside, I'm curious how many here submit to hardcopy or online publications? We already have a good idea who self-publishes.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

That's exactly my point. That's a very closed and incestuous audience. The world doesn't find poetry in our poems anymore.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14281

Thank you.

The link to the thread I posted has a list of self-published DUP poets.  

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

I worked for an agency that marketed some of the leading US magazines, and in short ... magazine sales are DOWN.  

Newspapers are dead and dying.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-40897967

To case28’s point ... people more often than not seek and find alternatives via the net rather than traditional print which is proving to be cost and time ineffective for publishers.

poet Anonymous

I do and have been successful in submitting to online publications, ezines and the such. I also tend to look for local publishing opportunities, projects, collections etc

I dunno, I kinda feel that self publishing is a bit of a cop out. If I had a pound for every time someone on here thought they were hot shit because they’ve self published I’d be a rich woman.

I’m not slating people that do, I’m just saying that for me personally it’s too easy. You haven’t really worked for anything, you’ve just put your words into a prettier format. Never really understood that.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013

Wow! You really don’t know hip-hop if you believe that ... ever heard of the Last Poets, I’ll leave it to you to research and read their work if you care to ...

In the mean time, here’s an easy one ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbtkLA3GrY

There are other more in depth challenges like it.

Go to page:
Go to: