poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1373

Receive one too many rejection letters? 😆

All joking aside, the current “state of poetry” doesn’t bother me. Just like any other art form, it changes and transforms quickly.

I find that loads of good poetry can be angry, self-indulgent, and hyper-political. As it always has been. And probably always will be. Are there good love poems? Of course. Are there good poems about friendship? Absolutely. But I think artists are the ones who record our social unrest. They mark change. So if we didn’t have people writing the angry and political poems, we would lose that.

And....

If you agree that art is up to individual taste, why are you so angry about magazine editors having individual tastes?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

I can only write what I can write and while I have strong political views I have never been inspired to express these through poetry.

In short I agree with you.

poet Anonymous

I am desperate now to start ranting about our so called society but I will resist it!!

poet Anonymous

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Agreed!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14629

I have online and hardcopy subscriptions and don't consider myself a novice, while I am a student of life.  There is some beautiful poetry to be found in them, especially in Pilgrimage ( which San Pedro recommended ), Sequestrum, Frontier, and a few more.  I enjoy them all.

I do think there are scam sights out there like poetry.com ( not to be confused with poems.com, which is legit ).  Those are the type of sites I believe should warrant the attention of the original poster.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Like all art forms poetry certainly has its' gatekeepers, but the situation is no different than that of the music industry, or for painters or illustrators.  As mentioned by others here in this thread, I've read work on this site that I found more engaging than that of Pulitzer Prize winners.  

With that, I've come to realize that most published contemporary poets are those of a certain pedigree, having gone to the "right schools", and having attended the "right seminars" led by the gatekeepers, or their trustees.  

From time to time the idea of releasing a collaborative book of poetry with the "best of DUP" within the pages is chatted up; but the question then becomes: Who decides what's best? ... How many poems get included ... 50 ... 60 ... 80 ... 100?  ... and again how are those chosen? Is it from active members ... or from the archives? ... Thus the same cycle we now criticize.

All we can really do is continue to support each other here on the site (how many of you have bought a self published book by a poet you admire? or actively recruited others to the site) ... and relish in the fact that we've got a glorious oasis for writing, and self expression.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14629

All we can really do is continue to support each other here on the site (how many of you have bought a self published book by a poet you admire? or actively recruited others to the site) ... and relish in the fact that we've got a glorious oasis for writing, and self expression.

Me me!

And here's anyone who wants the opportunity to support DUP poets:

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/poetry/read/8982/

rozetta
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 1

in a time of real war, every word can be felt as a weapon by some faction or other

so let's use words not only to defend ourselves, but protect each other too

Go to page:
Go to: