Page:

Anti Phycotics Kidnapped My Creativity

meganflewaway
Lost Thinker
Australia
Joined 15th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 2

It's been almost six months since mental health forced me to get monthly injections of anti psychotics in my backside.
It has completely taken away who I am.
I keep telling myself this is not a forever thing, but I do miss me.
I struggle to write poetry now, my creativity has completely gone, I'm tired all the time, I feel like a freaking zombie.
Sorry for the rant, I didn't know who else to tell.
Not like I can trust mental health with my thoughts ever again.
I really do miss writing the most though....
Has anyone else been through this?

nottoday
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 18th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 1

Yes, for 10 plus years, I refer to them as prison inmate drugs because the tend to take away whats most important to you...creativity, you become flat. It sucks.

The question then becomes the value of keeping yourself safe and your family and friends not as worried about you. To me that always seemed like total bullshit when manic, I deal with it every single day - it really helps to write, because poems become bookmarks of your one and only soul. Be honest with yourself, and never ever be ashamed to get help.
Peace to you.

poet Anonymous

I've not had anti-psychotic medication, but I have been on medication for depression for about ten years and have tried lots of different types.

Some have been absoloute brain killers that just sorta have you in a zombie state, and stuff like I'm on now (Mirtazapine) balances me out and genuinely allows me to sleep at night and hold down a job. I can function perfectly fine on this stuff just now, but the first four weeks on it were pretty rocky. I was taking (prescribed) benzos for a little while back when it was really bad, but haven't taken any for years. I hate the brain fog it clouds you with. I try and avoid them at all costs.

I guess it's just finding what works for you. Some of them genuinely are just effin horrible.

carrieriding
Strange Creature
United Kingdom
Joined 23rd Sep 2017
Forum Posts: 3

When I am too high or too low and I need antipsychotics (or an increase in my usual meds) I lose, amongst other things, my ability to write.

I have bipolar

They are increasing them at the moment and I’m worried I’ll lose the best bits of me again.

:(

X

AliasRobot
Strange Creature
Joined 26th Sep 2017
Forum Posts: 1

Yes Anti-psychotics and Antidepressants will do this to you.

princessofharkness
Strange Creature
United Kingdom
Joined 26th Sep 2017
Forum Posts: 3

I have been through this and I realised I would have to find another way to deal with my anxiety and depression. I eat well and workout now, and boring though that may sound to many, it has given me my life and my brain back. I would rather be up and down in my emotional state than lose that part of myself I feel I need to survive. I hope you find your balance and get back to writing soon. <3

Page:
Go to: