Go to page:

Little Miss Catfish

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Trixareforkids said:Ugh, translated through my brain that comes out as:

It's considered poor etiquette put a deceitful person's own private words into the public arena to warn other members of the deceitful person.

How fucked up we are as a society never fails to surprise me 😟

Yup.

Another reason for a Public Service Announcement / Thread Of Shame by official DUP Staff to discourage future ASSHATS, TROLLS and CATFISHERS.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

lepperochan said:
"I think evidence or not, suspected wrong doing should be reported to Madame Lavender and or the Webmistress."

It's ironic Nazis were brought up on this thread.  

"Blatantly abusive PMs or those reeking of CATFISHING should be reported through the DUP software to the Mod Squad"

Blatantly abusive pm's has always been encouraged to be reported to mods ( which include Grace and Lord V among others )

you people love control. control your own lives, put all the lables on all your jars if it helps

in case you haven't noticed the wider community could care less if your friend thought a profile was a good looking female. more fool him

That's probably what you're really pissed about

hopefully he learned his lesson.

LMFAO, you forgot to work "snowflake" in there somewhere.  

It's sad they way some people not knowing how to deal with the shit life throws at them turn into nasty bullies, rather than looking for ways to improve things for themselves and those around them.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

I don't recall bullying anyone

but there ya go "bullies, Nazis, people dead"  is straight out the snowflake 101 rethoric book..

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Trixareforkids said:

LMFAO, you forgot to work "snowflake" in there somewhere.  

It's sad they way some people not knowing how to deal with the shit life throws at them turn into nasty bullies, rather than looking for ways to improve things for themselves and those around them.

Some people are very vocal in keeping DUP as unrestricted as possible so they can continue TROLLING and BULLYING.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2387

this discussion is vile, the problem isn't trolls or Catfish, it's grownups unable to refrain from taking subtle and not so subtle jabs at each other.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Umm said:this discussion is vile, the problem isn't trolls or Catfish, it's grownups unable to refrain from taking subtle and not so subtle jabs at each other.

TRUTH is TRUTH.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

lepperochan said:I don't recall bullying anyone

but there ya go "bullies, Nazis, people dead"  is straight out the snowflake 101 rethoric book..

What makes you think I was talking about you specifically?  Do you exhibit the characteristics of a bully, name calling, attacking a person instead of the idea in question, blatant disregard for other people's feelings and experiences?

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

Umm said:this discussion is vile, the problem isn't trolls or Catfish, it's grownups unable to refrain from taking subtle and not so subtle jabs at each other.

I'm curious as to the specifics of what you find vile?  You say this discussion, this discussion is about what we as a community think is the appropriate way to handle Catfish and trolls.  

The problem this thread is discussing is Catfish and trolls,

You could take a look at the whole discussion and identify where and how this discussion is "vile", think about those instances, who said what, how they said and start a new thread about civility in public discourse.

I would gladly join such a discussion but as it's off topic to this one I won't continue it here.  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Thanks man, fair play for standing up. I respect that a lot

But, for the love of God why didnt you google image search i mean "yoga teacher"  and the profile pic haha ..soz

like I said earlier the problem here is proving intent. I would guess there are plenty of profiles here which are gender based lies

( the other gender to which their profile might state)

That's where material things make it easier. Ie was there goods handed over, a trophy, reading list etc a like

I'm glad you didn't hand anything over ( not that I think you would)

My position throughout this thread has been feelings though important to people don't constitute sanction

why:  

people's feelings get hurt here all the time. through truth and lies, from people with real profiles and people without

If we go down the line where we want the boss to protect our feelings. we've lost

we need to protect our own feelings. and communicate to each other when there is a threat

I think a lot of the times we might not give people the credit they deserve when it comes to vunrability

What are the real risks involved. I have no idea, it depends on the person I would imagine. and intent

I think we're lost in a pre-emtive thing. we have to wait for shit to go down

Blaze's name and shame thread was proposed by me four or five years ago, it was rejected then too

and that's the crux of what I've been saying. Protect yourself, protect others. community, community watch

but for the love of God, don't delete the evidence

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

I agree. Thank you for your honesty.

If a man desires to be a woman online, it should be for creative purposes.  It's misleading to PM as a female without disclosing the Truth.  Sounds like he's gay,  attempting to seduce straight men through the pretense of being a recently dumped female.

The "Poor poor Penelope" syndrome that many White Knights flock to. Or, do we just protect females from predators?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Where do you draw the line: that is down to the individual. Some people are more wary or world-wise so less likely to leap and take a chance.

What are the real risks: actually managing to set up a meeting face to face where something awful happens, or even doesn't happen making you someone less likely to take chances where it matters. - less likely to say yes to what is a real connection, or more likely to want to vent anger and frustration against other people by treating them badly.

Are there any vulnerable people interacting with said account: most likely any catfishing targets a small amount of DU; either those online at the time or those easiest to reach, a smaller but still considerable amount of the community. Something that would be exasperated when the Groups function grows to include member made groups: catfishing targets and more vulnerable/novice members.

If I was approached in x-manner by someone else can I be sure they are who they say they are?: given the internet most people are not wholly who or what they represent, but being eternally suspicious and guarded may be safer but it takes more effort and is less fun. There is a difference between a persona or avatar, and catfishing, the former is you being what you want to be while the latter is being something for a goal.

"I think evidence or not, suspected wrong doing should be reported to Madame Lavender and or the Webmistress."
- And the rest of us Moderators. It is better to have a suspicion disproved than to let it flourish. Having a heads up, even if it is solely suspicion can be useful later on down the line: it provides some evidence and trend of a wrongdoing and at least draws attention to a problem so that it is not an elephant in the room!

Not everyone is a hard arsed stoic wise owl who can simply laugh off life and give it the finger. At the same time, 'outing' a suspect to protect the masses by penalizing the minority is not the way to go. I will not see DU cater to the cries of solely snowflakes, or to solely the overly vocal cries of the disgruntled masses. Both must be heard, but their needs and suspicions do not always warrant action. If a member is so toxic to DU, acts of trolling for example, rather than parade them through the streets like medieval enactment, they are banned and removed from DU: excommunicated to the point where they are out of sight and mind and no longer a cause for concern for some or a remote blip of text for most.

If you have the strength (of mind or character or balls/tits or faith) to protect and look after yourself than more power to you. If you don't then for the Gods' sake seek out the authorities and established ones (police or help line in real life, mods and founders on the internet) to help. And if something looks suspicious then tell the mods, even if you've strength enough: there is always some poor schmuck that can be fooled and though not everyone can be helped always a heads up goes a long way. If at least to mean that when the poor schmuck is fooled, the catfish or troll can be given the heave-ho out of DU.

Also, treat each other politely and civilly. Don't make me come down there and write more death-walls-of-text at you. You wouldn't like me when I'm hanky-panky.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

Moving forward, it might be an idea to have some sort of pinned post in the welcome group which advises members of the things needed to protect themselves against catfishing

and maybe here too in general population

seems a lot easier than trying to second guess a person's inent

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

Every culture sanctions physically harming people outside of sports and even there limits apply.  Why it is we as societies do not take the same stance on emotional abuse is a mystery to me.  I know that the later is harder to define as the former but for the most part society throws up its hands and says "no blood no foul"

A girl here in the states convinced a boy to commit suicide by emotionally abusing him, it was considered involuntary manslaughter.  Which to me is complete bullshit, she told him to commit suicide, she egged him on and stayed in contact with him until he actually died.  Nothing involuntary about that.  

There is a huge difference between hurting someone's feelings because you made a thoughtless comment or because you don't share the feelings they have for you and actively engaging with someone in a way that encourages feelings for your own amusement or ego that if they knew the truth of your gender or situation they would not have ever engaged with you at all.

I realize that stamens encompasses more than Catfish and in another thread I plan to start in the near future that larger group will be addressed.

As for Catfish, like the one who contacted Tod, I think they should be banned as should any of their Alts.  And barring that should be in a hall of shame as suggested by Johnny as warning to anyone who takes the time to check.  No, you can't protect everyone, or prevent everyone from walking into danger but if you can warn and protect some and don't, that is what I find vile.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: