see that ladies and gentlemen. Job done. no need for a huge debate

good on you Craic you have a keen eye

nymphomaniac
Holly
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 13th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 36

Who woke me from my lustful dream because of this silly drama?

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2608

nymphomaniac said:Who woke me from my lustful dream because of this silly drama?

lol I was just referring your sex therapy to a friend great to see you back with your sexy self

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

This thread was not about anyone in particular until you named them, again, as you yourself said intent doesn't matter.

You obviously do not believe in emotional harm and the physical effects that manifest because of it, nor do you apparently much care for the more fragile among us who being fooled (catfished) may react with self harm or violence against others.

If you believe no lasting harm it follows that your outing was done for purposes other than the community good.

I do not believe lying about who you are in your profile is in and of itself wrong and nothing I've said here points in that direction.  Catfishing is a different beast, it is purposely misleading people for personal gain, even if that gain is simple amusement at someone else's expense.  It's akin to trolling, stirring up shit as I think you have termed it for amusement.  The harm is that the community suffers when trolls chase away good poets/people, when they discourage people from speaking in the forums at all because they want a civil discussion of ideas, not a shit show.  And it harms, sometimes gravely those who have been deceived in many ways, nine of which you apparently feel anyone but them should hold responsibility for.

I disagree with you because thought begets deed, what we as a community say is acceptable,,hate speech for instance, does lead some to be so emboldened that that speech becomes deed, I'll point to the fucking Nazi rallies here in the US which led to a woman's death. To racism which leads to the death of many people.  You and many others differentiate between the "real" world and online communities like this, as if the means of communicate makes any major difference to the interaction between people or changes the real world effect on the persons communicating.  Anonymity frees some people to be asshats, the medium allows for anonymity, so some people are asshats here that would be more circumspect in another setting, but the setting does not change the moral dilemma, just the means of containing it and to whatever extent possible controlling it, and THAT is what I wished to discuss in this thread, the inspiration and desire to find a proper way to out catfish are irrelevant and I am of the opinion that you were fully aware of that when you turned troll and started to stir a pot of shit.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

Oops, double post

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Thread Summary

Trixareforkids said:

So if a person were to come here representing themselves as a man and posting poetry from a male perspective that's fine, but does artistic expression include sending flirtatious PMs to people without letting those people know the persona they are flirting with is not truly representative?

Ahavati said:

Hell to the no; that's underhanded and despicable.

Trixareforkids said:

No, I'm speaking of someone who holds only one account but that account is not representative of who the actually are. Such as a man representing himself as a woman (straight or gay) or the reverse.

Ahavati said:

I discerned that from your reply to Craic but knew we'd cross post!

The internet is filled with sociopaths out for gain at the expense of others. Does it make it right? No. Thus the ban button.

Then there are those as described above with self-esteem issues who want to fit in and maybe feel wanted / loved.  This is where actual expression comes in to determine intent, i.e. - actions.  

The Truth could be from their heart while wearing a different skin.  But to blatantly be dishonest about looks, education, and especially gender, is misrepresentative in any form regardless of personal circumstance.

And then a suspected Catfisher was publicly outed by someone else.

lepperochan said:Ok
since you don't have the balls to do what you believe, I'll do it for you

This whole thread and pretend  debate is because the host thinks profile Dragonfly doesn't look like her in real life...

Newsflash: I am not the moon

This concludes today's Thread Summary.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

And is it acceptable to the community to publicly NAME such a person barring definitive evidence?

Such a thing could be used as a tool to harass an innocent member, does that out weigh the benefit of the pubic service of warning other members?

Is the point of the thread.

Edit:  the BS about the pic was Lep's projected opinion not mine.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Trixareforkids said:And is it acceptable to the community to publicly NAME such a person barring definitive evidence?

Such a thing could be used as a tool to harass an innocent member, does that out weigh the benefit of the pubic service of warning other members?

Is the point of the thread.

Edit:  the BS about the pic was Lep's projected opinion not mine.

I think evidence or not, suspected wrong doing should be reported to Madame Lavender and or the Webmistress.

Without evidence introduced into a public warning made by non-DUP staff, it is likely that a TROLL will chime in and obfuscate the entire situation with a barrage of distracting replies, thus encouraging CATFISHERS to continue CATFISHING and other TROLLS to continue TROLLING.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

That still begs the question of PMs as proof and what is and is not acceptable to share from PMs.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Trixareforkids said:That still begs the question of PMs as proof and what is and is not acceptable to share from PMs.

Blatantly abusive PMs or those reeking of CATFISHING should be reported through the DUP software to the Mod Squad.

It's only considered "poor etiquette" to share an indivual's PMs without their consent publicly or privately to other individuals. Thus it reflects poorly on the Information Releaser's character.

But it is not considered "poor etiquette" to share such with the Mod Squad.

To do so publicly still garners the attention of the Mod Squad through a more long drawn out process, which will likely end up in a thread hijacking by a TROLL and thread locking and relocation to the BOILER ROOM by a Mod.

Thus, a public NAMING of a CATFISHER by non-DUP Staff involving PM evidence authentic or fabricated will most likely end being hidden from public viewing due to the efforts of a TROLL and therefore, you are back to square one.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

woops. nevermind

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016

Ugh, translated through my brain that comes out as:

It's considered poor etiquette put a deceitful person's own private words into the public arena to warn other members of the deceitful person.

How fucked up we are as a society never fails to surprise me 😟

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

"I think evidence or not, suspected wrong doing should be reported to Madame Lavender and or the Webmistress."

It's ironic Nazis were brought up on this thread.  

"Blatantly abusive PMs or those reeking of CATFISHING should be reported through the DUP software to the Mod Squad"

Blatantly abusive pm's has always been encouraged to be reported to mods ( which include Grace and Lord V among others )

you people love control. control your own lives, put all the lables on all your jars if it helps

in case you haven't noticed the wider community could care less if your friend thought a profile was a good looking female. more fool him

That's probably what you're really pissed about

hopefully he learned his lesson.

Go to page:
Go to: