Go to page:

Little Miss Catfish

poet
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
54awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2382

lepperochan said:I must have missed why whoever left left. who was it ?

24601 [John brady]

poet
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Did his deleted reply give any hint as to why he would suddenly pack it in?

poet
Magdalena
Tyrant of Words
54awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2382

Trixareforkids said:Did his deleted reply give any hint as to why he would suddenly pack it in?

I didn't see it.  I just quoted him and went into preview to find out who it was.

poet
Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

Ah well, I hope he comes back,  I enjoyed his poetry

poet
JohnnyBlaze
Fire of Insight
United States
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 644

Trixareforkids said:Ah well, I hope he comes back,  I enjoyed his poetry

Ditto.

poet
rabbitquest
Bunn
Dangerous Mind
Israel
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 1218

i would like to suggest the creation of a Group dealing with Catslapping.

The PM's would be assigned to a moderator, whose job would be to anonomize ,yet still maintain the spirit and severity of the slight:
"He tricked me into thinking he was of royal British heritage"
Could be anonomized to:
"He led me to believe he were an O'Kelly of Galagh"

The incident is be posted for members of to ponder before judgement is pissed

if no crime is found, the accused remains anonymous.
if the accused is found guilty she will be levied  a fine of 150 Crowns

poet
David_Macleod
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom
28awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 653

I think in this debate there has to be a separation between the creative and the personal. If I write a poem that reads like a suicide note and I am not suicidal does that become a punishable lie. I would assume most members would think not. I have written in the voice of many characters and worked hard to make them believable, technically another lie.

To me what is unacceptable is lying in a personal pursuit of sex, power or abuse. If there is evidence of a bully or a predator acting that way then there should be sanction. Evidence would cover comments on poems and private messages.

I have no issues with multiple accounts and can see their value from a creative stance. I only have one, that was a personal choice. I may consider another account for a creative alter-ego to write erotic content. I am mulling that one over.

Fascinating debate #ImJustSayingToo

poet
Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 5931

Err... doesn't anonymizing work in reverse to the example shown? From an O'Kelly of Galagh to royal British heritage?
While the idea sounds good, it could itself be abused to create witch hunts and false black marks against people out of spite or boredom. (I think you mean 'passed' rather 'pissed' though the group of the righteous may feel the latter against a catfish.) Having a group seems a bit backwards: exposing an incident to more people rather than keeping it private, and relying on anonymous general sentences to be judged en mass with noise rather than quietly by as few as possible. The problem being that somewhere down the line with more people it starts to bleed through into the rest of DU, and some daft bastard would purposefully catfish to get the publicity and judgement by the masses.

Perhaps an easier alternative would be to change the terms of DU slightly, or rather start a in depth discussion on identity and presentation to gauge the average, and outlying, stances on the topic. To engage as a community where the shortcomings and vulnerabilities are to reinforce them to keep the vile misleaders out, rather than give them a stage or allow a stage for corruption and vendettas to hold sway.
Not too sure how widespread or limited the catfishing is so a thread may help, though of course that will certainly involve a certain degree of admittance by those caught out. Those may be either embarrassed, lazy, wiser, or way over it, to provide sufficient evidence and advice. Only time and other input can tell!

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
38awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 1157

Viddax said:Err... doesn't anonymizing work in reverse to the example shown? From an O'Kelly of Galagh to royal British heritage?
While the idea sounds good, it could itself be abused to create witch hunts and false black marks against people out of spite or boredom. (I think you mean 'passed' rather 'pissed' though the group of the righteous may feel the latter against a catfish.) Having a group seems a bit backwards: exposing an incident to more people rather than keeping it private, and relying on anonymous general sentences to be judged en mass with noise rather than quietly by as few as possible. The problem being that somewhere down the line with more people it starts to bleed through into the rest of DU, and some daft bastard would purposefully catfish to get the publicity and judgement by the masses.

Perhaps an easier alternative would be to change the terms of DU slightly, or rather start a in depth discussion on identity and presentation to gauge the average, and outlying, stances on the topic. To engage as a community where the shortcomings and vulnerabilities are to reinforce them to keep the vile misleaders out, rather than give them a stage or allow a stage for corruption and vendettas to hold sway.
Not too sure how widespread or limited the catfishing is so a thread may help, though of course that will certainly involve a certain degree of admittance by those caught out. Those may be either embarrassed, lazy, wiser, or way over it, to provide sufficient evidence and advice. Only time and other input can tell!

*coughhewasbeingfacetiouscough*

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

David_Macleod said:I think in this debate there has to be a separation between the creative and the personal. If I write a poem that reads like a suicide note and I am not suicidal does that become a punishable lie. I would assume most members would think not. I have written in the voice of many characters and worked hard to make them believable, technically another lie.

To me what is unacceptable is lying in a personal pursuit of sex, power or abuse. If there is evidence of a bully or a predator acting that way then there should be sanction. Evidence would cover comments on poems and private messages.

I have no issues with multiple accounts and can see their value from a creative stance. I only have one, that was a personal choice. I may consider another account for a creative alter-ego to write erotic content. I am mulling that one over.

Fascinating debate #ImJustSayingToo

Welcome to the fun side!

poet
lepperochan
Craic-in-a-box
Tyrant of Words
63awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 11964

I thought we already seprated creative multiples from this debate, but it keeps piping up anyway ..then cheerleaded

The reality is both females and males lie for sex. It happens all the time.
...let those without sin cast the first stone and all that jazz

that in mind, I think people should grow up rather than run crying to teacher because they've been lied to

I mean, come on, if you do that in real life..

This debate seems primarily about changing our constitution  ( for want of a better word) to outlaw lies

I haven't read one sentence on this thread which gives a good enough reason for change

just some offhand observation which may or may not have substance,  and which may or may not have hurt a feeling  

Ladies and gentlemen,  I draw your attention to the UN when Colon Powell pointed at pictures...

and the U.N. when the Israeli contingent drew a line..

history screams..

thank you for reading

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:I thought we already seprated creative multiples from this debate, but it keeps piping up anyway ..then cheerleaded

Give me an M! Give me a U! Give me an L! Give me a T! Give me an I! Give me a P! Give me another L! Give me an E! Give me an S!

What've ya got?! MULTIPLES! Say it again! MULTIPLES!

RAH! RAH! RAH!

poet
lepperochan
Craic-in-a-box
Tyrant of Words
63awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 11964

^  problem with trying to have a grown up debate is when tri-polars can't help themselves

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

lepperochan said:^  problem with trying to have a grown up debate is when tri-polars can't help themselves

That would be quad!

poet
JohnnyBlaze
Fire of Insight
United States
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 644

lepperochan said:

that in mind, I think people should grow up rather than run crying to teacher because they've been lied to

The grown up thing to do is tell everyone who the liar is so the liar can be avoided by everyone including those who have yet to be lied to.

And then with any luck, the liar will leave.

Rah Rah sis boom bah and Hooray for common cents.

Go to page:
Go to: