Go to page:

a discussion on multiple profiles

admin
DU Webmistress
Mistress of the Underground
1awards

Thanks everyone for the points raised in this discussion. Please see the following thread outlining a policy update in regards to this matter. Hopefully this compromise is sufficiently amenable to those on all sides of the argument.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/9739/

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Hullo, and thank you. can't be easy trying to facilitate so many different viewpoints.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Viddax said:JohhnyBlaze - At the risk of making conversation and receiving a thousand death stares from everyone else, your output numbers can hardly be considered as inspiration or pro-multiple profiles evidence. If anything they just show that you have a lot of creativity and can make/craft/pen (what is the right word?: its draw for pictures and paintings, and compose for music) a lot of poems. You could have only 2 profiles or 2,000 and they would all have high numbers of poems. Though I get that you're saying more profiles have meant you have more poems.

- On the lighter side, I am a sure there are some people who would only count the creativity output in terms of limericks and or haikus.
- "Whose Poetry Is It Anyway?": sounded more like What's My Line?/What's My Poetry?. Indeed by Whose Line logic, points mean nothing.

Sorry, I wasn't paying much attention to this thread and missed your comment.

I have more poems precisely because I have more profiles.

True, I could have such without such, but the additional profiles allow me to get into and stay in character(s) which then allow me to better write about subjects from vantage points I normally wouldn't consider as Johnny Blaze, let alone myself.

As far as characters go, Johnny is the closest representation of who I actually am ( JAM ).  However, depending on the day or week, even Johnny fluctuates through an assortment of personalities.

Depending on the persona, the mind becomes tuned to a frequency and thus receptive to information that does not come through on all frequencies.

If you ever paid close attention to your imagination, these holographic scenarios conjured up within nanoseconds have fine details incorporated in that you did not sit around consciously piecing and pasting together. To attribute these details as a mish mash of memories derived from a single human's past is idiotic and arrogant at best. Point being, you can obtain information via imagination about physical locations you've never physically travelled to. Or knowledge of a trade you never attended a school to learn about. Or experiences belonging to another individual that you biologically are incapable of being

You can call the gathering of this information "remote viewing" or simply being "psychic".  Whatever the case, information available to you on a relatively endless variety of subjects is embedded in your imaginings, but it won't be available to you if you don't use your imagination differently and thus imagine things alternative to what you typically imagine.

The recap:

Additional profiles are not necessary,  getting into character helps and thus is somewhat necessary, every one of us has a treasure trove of information woven through our imaginings, one person imagines differently from the next and I write a fuck ton of poetry.

Savvy?

p.s.

You also have a wealth of such information available to you in regards to visions that occur while you are meditating and dreams you have while sleeping.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6692

JohnnyBlaze said:
Depending on the persona, the mind becomes tuned to a frequency and thus receptive to information that does not come through on all frequencies.

You can call the gathering of this information "remote viewing" or simply being "psychic".  Whatever the case, information available to you on a relatively endless variety of subjects is embedded in your imaginings, but it won't be available to you if you don't use your imagination differently and thus imagine things alternative to what you typically imagine.

You also have a wealth of such information available to you in regards to visions that occur while you are meditating and dreams you have while sleeping.

Ha! I say ha not in derision of your words but of the sentiment attached, or rather the ideas proposed that I take as a given. When talking to me about dreams, imagination, and being receptive of experiences through different personas here is the punch line: it is preaching to the choir, as I am a Pisces and a rather good summation but not epitome of it!
-By that I mean that my imagination I near limitless, although my ability to transfer and convey such imagination is limited and has only caught a miniscule fraction of the fish-like visions and thoughts in the wide sea of imagination. I also mean that I embrace and have a tendency to be able to put myself in other people's shoes and experiences, as fitting the feature that the Pisces as the 12th astrological house has bits of all the other houses in it as it goes into the 'beyond'.

This also accounts for why I dislike the idea of multiple profiles on DU, just to tie this chat back into the thread's main theme. To me, to have multiple profiles and make them be this or that is similar to having dozens of watercolour paints but limiting yourself to only using two or three when painting and making sure they don't bleed or mix with each other. It is the sense of putting things and ideas in boxes and only opening one at a time. Or having a piano but only ever playing one chord at a time.
It is the idea that more profiles will allow more diverse and different poetry, and that personas should not mix. When in reality a person evolves and develops, and that a persona is a only a character or aspect: a tool to and end or even an end but not the multi-tool that a person is.

Although the point is now irrelevant as the Webmistress herself has spoken and highly leans against multiple profiles, there is still the option to talk about it if nothing else. And it may well be that at the end of the day for some, the need or argument for multiple profiles in order to have multiple personas and multiple styles, speaks more of their shortcomings as an artist than the benefits of multiple profiles and personas. The previous sentence was not a snarky, or directed comment, definitely not to JohnnyBlaze, but simply a thought. I can hardly talk about profiles without at least admitting that my avatar/username is based around some semblance of a persona and super-ego desire rather than just a profile where I do and say anything and everything as I wish without an aim in mind.

Short version: I'm a Pisces so have a boundless imagination. Multiple profiles for different personas is like having different rooms for different moods. The Webmistress has spoken, and multiple profiles are actively discouraged.

For those of you not following this long ramble and suffering from severe eye damage via text wall of death, don't worry you're not alone. Wallace is one of you.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Viddax said:

Ha! I say ha not in derision of your words but of the sentiment attached, or rather the ideas proposed that I take as a given. When talking to me about dreams, imagination, and being receptive of experiences through different personas here is the punch line: it is preaching to the choir, as I am a Pisces and a rather good summation but not epitome of it!
-By that I mean that my imagination I near limitless, although my ability to transfer and convey such imagination is limited and has only caught a miniscule fraction of the fish-like visions and thoughts in the wide sea of imagination. I also mean that I embrace and have a tendency to be able to put myself in other people's shoes and experiences, as fitting the feature that the Pisces as the 12th astrological house has bits of all the other houses in it as it goes into the 'beyond'.

This also accounts for why I dislike the idea of multiple profiles on DU, just to tie this chat back into the thread's main theme. To me, to have multiple profiles and make them be this or that is similar to having dozens of watercolour paints but limiting yourself to only using two or three when painting and making sure they don't bleed or mix with each other. It is the sense of putting things and ideas in boxes and only opening one at a time. Or having a piano but only ever playing one chord at a time.
It is the idea that more profiles will allow more diverse and different poetry, and that personas should not mix. When in reality a person evolves and develops, and that a persona is a only a character or aspect: a tool to and end or even an end but not the multi-tool that a person is.

Although the point is now irrelevant as the Webmistress herself has spoken and highly leans against multiple profiles, there is still the option to talk about it if nothing else. And it may well be that at the end of the day for some, the need or argument for multiple profiles in order to have multiple personas and multiple styles, speaks more of their shortcomings as an artist than the benefits of multiple profiles and personas. The previous sentence was not a snarky, or directed comment, definitely not to JohnnyBlaze, but simply a thought. I can hardly talk about profiles without at least admitting that my avatar/username is based around some semblance of a persona and super-ego desire rather than just a profile where I do and say anything and everything as I wish without an aim in mind.

Short version: I'm a Pisces so have a boundless imagination. Multiple profiles for different personas is like having different rooms for different moods. The Webmistress has spoken, and multiple profiles are actively discouraged.

For those of you not following this long ramble and suffering from severe eye damage via text wall of death, don't worry you're not alone. Wallace is one of you.

What of the soul then, Viddax my friend?

Would you limit the soul to live out only one human experience only to have it return again and again in linear fashion?

Or would you allow it to simultaneously branch out into several human incarnations that could possibly interact with one another within the same timeframe of history?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

The soul is the essence of an individual. It is all that they are, could be, and wish to be, but it is still a very individual centred thing. A soul absorb every conscious and unconscious experience but manifests as the essence of an individual. The human experience only has one soul; that soul can grow and shrink but is mostly limited to the oneness. Upon meeting a kindred spirit, match made in heaven, or 'right crowd' then the individual souls expand and meld to create a shared experience: something greater than the sum of its parts but made of individual souls.
A soul is basically a bag waiting to be filled by the individual, rather than a template that dictates the individual. Though the soul will tend to point the individual in certain directions, similar to how a compass points towards the north or how some supermarket trolleys veer left or right but you want to go straight forwards.
The soul therefore has near limitless potential, but is the essence of an individual more than their expanded potential. For an explorer the soul sums up them as an explorer but hints at the other paths they could have taken. If it were to return again and again then it would not be linear or predetermined: it would be unique to its circumstances and time, and prone to the multiple worlds theory so that even 'returning' would involve a change somewhere. (Soul of World 1 earth 'returns' to World 1a earth but no fridges then 'returns' to 2a earth but no fridges and greener sunlight, and so and so forth.)
This description of a soul means that several human interactions interacting is impossible: the soul in each case is unique and an essence of individuals, rather than something that binds them all together such as anima mundi. In this case, the soul is the anima, and the interconnecting thread is the anima mundi.

There are also some experiences and viewpoints that even with a million years and million souls, or even an infinite years and infinite souls, would not experience. Not just because of probability, but because it is simply not meant to be. Meaning that some artists: poets, writers, singers, performers, simply cannot get that stance or style because it is not within their capability, just like how everyone else cannot do everything. Not because their soul is not big enough, but because essentially it is not them, although it might be someone else.

The accumulation of all souls has the potential for everything, but lacks the physical being and individual to make them happen, or rather it has happened and will happen but is not possible for the individual. If the individual is transcended then the multiple is possible but lacks the definition of the individual, but only in arbitrary classification. - as opposed to multiple profiles on DU where the multiple (the different) is possible but is then segregated in perception while still being part of the individual.
In other words the former case is a hand of many fingers that only classifies which finger is moving when needed, whereas the DU latter case is an index finger moving but attempting to claim that there is no hand which it is attached to.

If you or a loved one has been affected or confused by any of the words of ideas in the above sentences, please send all your inquiries to yourself and await further instruction.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

so, basically souls don't exist

if a soul is just the essence of something then what's the point of calling it a soul, anything can have an essence

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Viddax said:
If you or a loved one has been affected or confused by any of the words of ideas in the above sentences, please send all your inquiries to yourself and await further instruction.

I think I understood most of what you said.

But don't pop quiz me on it.

Anyhoo, I've been writing under multiple profiles that have interacted with one another longer than I've been a member of DUP.

And I plan on publishing under multiple identities. Like I said earlier - somewhere - I already forgot where, I doubt lesbian erotic / love poetry authored by a man would be well received.

An unbiased person only has to read the poems submitted to my various accounts to see if getting into alternative characters has made a difference or not in my writing styles.

Let me rephrase that.

Anyone other than the Webmiss who has a problem with me contributing poetry under more than one account can kiss my hairy ass.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

Umm said:so, basically souls don't exist

if a soul is just the essence of something then what's the point of calling it a soul, anything can have an essence

Not quite. The essence of water or a lake is water, but the essence of an individual is not so easily reduced down to one single point. Even then the soul of things that are not human beings are not single words either. The soul of Mt. Fuji is not simply rock or snow. Though the idea that everything has a soul, is not as widespread or popular as the idea that only human beings have souls.

The soul in this example or theory is not simply the essence of an individual, in the idea that essence means 'boils down to' or 'is just x'. Here essence refers to the accumulated and potential, rather than the fundamental. So the soul of an explorer is all the places they've explored and their desire for exploration, not simply meaning in essence they are 'exploring' or 'an explorer'.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Interesting. would it be possible to expand the soul through use of multiple persona, or might it have more of an annex effect ?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

lepperochan said:Interesting. would it be possible to expand the soul through use of multiple persona, or might it have more of an annex effect ?

Do you mean do multiple personas expand the soul or annex other souls instead?

With this idea of soul, which there is probably no term yet so lets just go with Viddaxian Soul because imbuing something with ego is better than letting someone else claim it for darker purposes!

Anyway, the Viddaxian soul is like a rainbow cloak that fits round you, so if you have over a thousand multiple personas then that cloak still fits around you and shows the colours to the world. If anything the more personas that are adopted, the more the soul becomes defined based off of the original rather than the multiple personas. The multiples become simply additions and expanded possibilities than the defining essence; though parts of the multiple will also form part of the essence. However the more multiples, the more watered down the multiples become in the soul overall: the soul being a hot air balloon and multiple personas being different gasses which make the balloon bigger and only count under intense scrutiny.

A soul cannot annex anything as it is an essence of an individual. The cloak does do anything more than cover; it is the individual underneath who can 'annex' by picking up and holding more values, attributes, experiences and behaviour.

However the soul is future-proof in that it already sums up all that you are and will be. Plus the soul is not measured or regarded in terms of quantity as it is like measuring the length or oranges, pears and bananas when buying a smartphone for money: it is completely beside the point. Whether the soul is bigger or smaller has no relevance, as the soul just is; it is an individual in essence, and each essence is irrecoverably unique and without value.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Just a thought, how do you know the difference between family members here? Are there any husband/wife or children in the same family that could be sharing the same computer or wifi connection? I did when I was living with my brother. So how would you know it was or was not just me with two accounts? Are spouses of poets already here not allowed to have their own account? I know two poets here who are in a very serious relationship. If they get married, which one will have to leave the site? Both are very active members, what will happen to them?
iP addresses don't tell you anything except that two computers may appear to be one person. Do you call them on the phone and ask them to talk to you at the same time? My brother and I have very similar voices. We are frequently mistaken over the phone for each other. I used to pretend to be him when his girlfriends called but I'm five years younger than he is, so when he was 15, I was only 10 and they figured it out pretty quick. But now we're old men and still sound the same. You can't even tell we are in our 50's. We both still sound like we are much younger. So if he was a member when we were roommates, we'd have been in trouble.

So do you do any investigating or do you just ban people without a trial?
Inquiring minds want to know...
JJ

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I'm sure it comes down to conduct  and whether multiple profiles are being abused for purposes other than poetry.  So if you're two people living at the same address, I can't see that being a problem if you are adhering to the T&C's and not fucking other members over, especially via PM.  There are many that use more than one profile to PM those nice people and solicit them in one way or another, or use said profile to rig comps (i don't give a damn about comps, not as serious as the former)  Such arseholes out to serve their own needs.  

So if you are spouses both enjoying this site, no need to fret, I'm sure the mods and webmiss are savvy enough to know.  :)  

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

i jist dont get it.
my cat has been logging on
and i dont even know his screen name

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 728

lepperochan said:HUllo and greetings from the Emerald

I've noticed there's been another big influx of multiple profiles. I read about people saying "it's for art reasons" but I don't see much evidence of it when i look at people's different catalogs. its more or less the same

can I ask, without causing a huge drama. whats all this about. who needs three or four profiles for art reasons ?

sounds like a huge crock of shit to me, but I'd like to understand a bit  more if anyone is willing to share  

I think there's nothing wrong with having a couple profiles, however, I have noticed that there are dozens of new ones popping up since the new website format launched in July, coincidence? Could it be that a single individual who had been banned in the past found a new way in and this is their new attack, trying to dominate the site singlehandedly ? Many of the stuff being written in these many new profiles does have a similar writing style.  If this individual is trying to provoke the poets on here, it's too bad if it's working, I think we should just hang in there and not be daunted, I hope this helps as a possible theory....

Go to page:
Go to: