Go to page:

a discussion on multiple profiles

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Hence the reason I pretty much keep myself to myself, because I can never trust who's who in here and my trust levels diminished long ago.  Albeit there are some who are open about their multiple profiles, not all members read the forums and are completely oblivious to such things, especially the more vulnerable.

I know for a fact in the past profiles were created here to solicit other members. If you're going to do it, then put it on your profile so you're not fooling anyone.  I got nothing against people having more than one profile but  don't use them to fuck with people.

Poetryman
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 14th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 1531

Maybe some people actually have multiple personalities and don't even know their other selves have profiles. Then they can secretly tell themselves off, like "don't quit your day job"...
Or maybe their other sides want to be supportive and lift up their real self's self-esteem... one could write a book just on the psychology of this. Like, are they on a dating website where they heart their real self and ask their self out on dates? That would suck though, they would constantly be getting stood-up...

Maybe they got a bad reputation for being negative and no one reads their poems anymore so they started fresh. But they keep the old one so as not to create suspicions about he new one.

I can think of a few members who ticked me off and I won't read heir work anymore. I often wonder if they made new profiles so I would read and comment without knowing it was hem.

If I think too much about his, my other personality will come out and spank me, so I'm going back in my closet to hide now...

JJ

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16195

MadameLavender said:

Solution : can we just knock it the fuck off, already??  No more witch hunts, tit for tat, sucker punching, reach-arounds, nitpicking on semantics of syntax and such, vendettas, revenge, boo-hoo my feelings were hurt....

I agree with this.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Magdalena said:Hence the reason I pretty much keep myself to myself, because I can never trust who's who in here and my trust levels diminished long ago.

I'm amazed at the covert intentions by some in here at times.

Albeit there are some who are open about their multiple profiles, not all members read the forums and are completely oblivious to such things, especially the more vulnerable.

I don't know about the others in here, but I do know that I ( as well as Johnny ) PM those who comment on our other profiles so we're certain they realize it's us.

I know for a fact in the past profiles were created here to solicit other members. If you're going to do it, then put it on your profile so you're not fooling anyone.  I got nothing against people having more than one profile but  don't use them to fuck with people.

That ^   I think it's safe to say that those who do have alternates and are open and honest about them pretty much have poetry on the brain ( as evidenced by the body of work and critiques ).

Some people really do want nothing more than an expanded Experience in writing.

Magnetron
Fire of Insight
United States 6awards
Joined 20th July 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Johnny was busy critiquing and mopping his pirate ship, which gave me a chance to submit a poem for a change.

I am inspired by the Greek Myths, not wenches and booty.

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

lepperochan said:
also I genuinely do not get the 3+ for art reasons. poetry 'supposedly' comes from the heart

And you will never get it until you try it.

AgentStarling
Clarice
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 30th Apr 2017
Forum Posts: 15

PsycoticMastermind said:

And you will never get it until you try it.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, Dr. Lecter. It silences the lambs. . .

PsycoticMastermind
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 209

AgentStarling said:

I'd be inclined to agree with you, Dr. Lecter. It silences the lambs. . .

You're always popping up when I least suspect it.

It's unnerving.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

Fair enough, Blaze. commenting here with your different profiles kinda puts the whole "for art' thing in the dark

But more than that, we're all adults here on this thread. There's no major shit being posted. some to and fro-ing  yes, but nothing which should Warrant the kind of " shut the fuck up " remarks

if you don't like the thread don't read it. everyone else is happy to share  

JJ, you make some valid points I hadn't thought of,  good stuff

AgentStarling
Clarice
Twisted Dreamer
Joined 30th Apr 2017
Forum Posts: 15

PsycoticMastermind said:

Youre always popping up when I least suspect it.

It's unnerving.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah16/Ahavati1/Starling20soon_zpsgmkxo9ni.jpg

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

lepperochan said:Fair enough, Blaze. commenting here with your different profiles kinda puts the whole "for art' thing in the dark

But more than that, we're all adults here on this thread. There's no major shit being posted. some to and fro-ing  yes, but nothing which should Warrant the kind of " shut the fuck up " remarks

if you don't like the thread don't read it. everyone else is happy to share  

I'm scratching my head over this response to a conversation that is clearly only taking place in your mind.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

"if you don't like the thread don't read it" - I read threads. I do not necessarily always like or dislike them. Sometimes my reaction is neutral.

Anyway back to the main point in hand, rather than any grab-your-pointy-stick-underhand.

I do not quite understand the need or desire or impulse to separate writing styles, or modes of thought, or profiles, so definitively. To me it is like having different rooms in a house and acting as though the bathroom does not connect to the bedroom or the stairs do not connect the floors or that the kitchen windows is completely different from the living room windows. Each part or prompt of writing or of any art, is surely connected together in one form or another. The uplifting track of one album still comes from the same artist who produced a melancholic hit from another album.

To me, by separating, and to a degree alienating, is useful to produce specific outcomes but misses out on the thousand possibilities of all the in-betweens. That we as modern beings are quite capable of multitasking, of being multiple things, while still maintaining definition and not ending up as a vague blobby mess. (Though the current heatwave in England may make that a reality.) I can appreciate a love poem, self poem and miscellaneous poem from the same author without getting hung up on what the main style or trope of the poet is.

It is not that I am completely against multiple profiles or see them as an utter waste of time, or anything along those lines, but that they seem an outcome of permission rather than necessity: people have multiple profiles because they can more than because they intrinsically need to have multiple ones.
To me it also can somewhat stymie creativity by enforcing a certain approach or style or persona, rather than looking to produce the best of a specific or any style through the combined powers of all other experience and stylistic skills.

Most likely a line of thought shared by no one else, and understood by only a few, but hey at least it broke up the soap opera with the convoluted scholar bumbling across the stage for a bit. Oh, no! I used different tones in my comment and now must rend myself asunder into a thousand shards in order to properly experience each variation, and forsake all schools of thought that appreciate art and life in terms of a rainbow with various colours that are definitive but can meld.

To the solipsist (look it up) everyone else is their multiple profile.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

lepperochan said:Fair enough, Blaze. commenting here with your different profiles kinda puts the whole "for art' thing in the dark

Good to see you back and to your old self.  I missed the Craic

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Feel free to post your creative output and compare numbers.

Poems submitted in 2017 so far as

Johnny Blaze - 89
Mary Walker - 48
Psycotic Mastermind - 52
Magnetron - 44
Anarchitect - 40

Doesn't include poems hidden from public view by the Mods.

And we're not talking limericks, haikus or one word poems either.

Thank you for playing Whose Poetry Is It Anyway?

poet Anonymous

Are you seriously lowering yourself to who has written the most poetry? Seriously?

Congratulations. Here's a gold star. They gave those out in primary school to make special kids feel smart.

Quality over quantity any day. Something, for the record, Lepp has in bucket loads. So let's not go there shall we.

Go to page:
Go to: