a discussion on multiple profiles

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

HUllo and greetings from the Emerald

I've noticed there's been another big influx of multiple profiles. I read about people saying "it's for art reasons" but I don't see much evidence of it when i look at people's different catalogs. its more or less the same

can I ask, without causing a huge drama. whats all this about. who needs three or four profiles for art reasons ?

sounds like a huge crock of shit to me, but I'd like to understand a bit  more if anyone is willing to share  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I have another profile called Muggle, its been dormant for ages, it was a team profile ( a profile run and maintained by a team) it was fun. I do understand privacy accounts, an account made because family of friends were checking out a profile. hell, I was close to opening a few myself after I shared my profile with family and friends but got over it

probably just me, but I feel fair enough, have an extra profile for privacy reasons if needed. but this business of having three, five, seven profiles has nothing to do with art,  more to do with hiding,  stirring, being snide, cruel etc ( an assumption )

but again, I'd rather understand than make assumptions. if multiple profiles help art then perhaps we should all open some to improve our art  

poet Anonymous

This is my one and only comment on the broad subject as a whole in the spirit of general discussion.

There are a couple of people on here who have used multiple accounts for successful poetry purposes. For example and not mentioning any names, many years ago, back in the day, an old-school user (who simply isn't to my taste and I'm quite sure I'm not their cup of tea either) had a few accounts. Didn't like their primary account at all, but I was a firm fan of one of their alter egos... so I guess it is possible to write with a different voice. And in those cases, it's awesome. Ain't got no problem if it's done well.

but personally... I dunno, it just seems like an awful lot of work to me when you can just be yourself.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

lepperochan said:HUllo and greetings from the Emerald

I've noticed there's been another big influx of multiple profiles. I read about people saying "it's for art reasons" but I don't see much evidence of it when i look at people's different catalogs. its more or less the same

can I ask, without causing a huge drama. whats all this about. who needs three or four profiles for art reasons ?

sounds like a huge crock of shit to me, but I'd like to understand a bit  more if anyone is willing to share  

lepperochan said:I have another profile called Muggle, its been dormant for ages, it was a team profile ( a profile run and maintained by a team) it was fun. I do understand privacy accounts, an account made because family of friends were checking out a profile. hell, I was close to opening a few myself after I shared my profile with family and friends but got over it

probably just me, but I feel fair enough, have an extra profile for privacy reasons if needed. but this business of having three, five, seven profiles has nothing to do with art,  more to do with hiding,  stirring, being snide, cruel etc ( an assumption )

but again, I'd rather understand than make assumptions. if multiple profiles help art then perhaps we should all open some to improve our art  

It's about putting one's self into an alternative mindset, then receiving inspiration and writing without the limitations of being your usual self.

In theory, if used in this fashion, each profile should produce different styles of writing and subjects written about.

So, I would agree, there's not much use for additional accounts if there is little to zero difference in creative output.

I certainly wouldn't / couldn't have written 150 poems during April for NaPoWriMo just as Johhny Blaze.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/9560/

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

I have several profiles but it's not my fault.

My original profile was made back in 2011 but I hardly used it. Then when i rediscovered DU I had to make a new account because I no longer had access the previous one. Then I had to terminate the new account because I was mad at someone, and a few months later when I wanted to be back on DU again I had to make yet another profile(this profile)  

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

First off, it's great to see you, Craic, with my respect.

As for multi-profiles, I'm me as you see and always have been.  This account is all I have no matter where I make my online presence known, and any of my layers/facets/alters I exhibit come out in my poetry.  I know there are a number of DU members who have left as one name and returned as another name.  This numbers many more than a mere couple of people, and some of them don't know that I know.  I'm fine being just as ambiguous with them as they are with me as long as they give me the respect that I give to them.

Peace, out.
ever
~Jade x

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

I could hardly make this one profile count, I don't think I'd be making anything new in the near future. and besides, I'd like to be able to claim all my works as me outside of Dup. so if I have several accounts, I don't think that'll help. I have a bad experience of being accused of plagiarism because I claim and reposted a work of mine from another site to another using a different Name. Imagine defending myself to myself? so i'll stick to one for now.

(No offense thou to those who had multiple accounts, If it works for you then its all good. I have no ill thoughts about that, that is a prerogative that is your own)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

Bumped this in the Speakeasy for anyone who would like to be honest about who they are.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/9544/120/#398610

JohnnyBlaze said:

It's about putting one's self into an alternative mindset, then receiving inspiration and writing without the limitations of being your usual self.

In theory, if used in this fashion, each profile should produce different styles of writing and subjects written about.

So, I would agree, there's not much use for additional accounts if there is little to zero difference in creative output.

I certainly wouldn't / couldn't have written 150 poems during April for NaPoWriMo just as Johhny Blaze.

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/9560/

Amazing job!  We were all mind-blown.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

I love it when mods passive aggressively out peoples personal multiple accounts used for creative purposes on threads about how it's okay to have multiple accounts, Ahavati.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Umm said:I love it when mods passive aggressively out peoples personal multiple accounts used for creative purposes on threads about how it's okay to have multiple accounts, Ahavati.

Your view-point is noted, Umm.  And because you edited to remove a name, I shall as well.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

Ahavati said:

Your view-point is noted, Umm.  And because you edited to remove a name, I shall as well.

oh.  well. I'm glad you see the error in your ways

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Umm said:

What name?

Because you have edited to remove it I shall PM you.

And because you returned to edit your previous post afterthefact from the above quoted ( I'm so glad I quote ) to:

Umm said:

oh.  well. I'm glad you see the error in your ways

Let me just share my private message to you publicly so there are no misunderstandings.

You originally listed you were angry at Eamonn before you edited.

I apologize if you felt I was being passive-aggressive. I truly didn't see it that way. I saw it as calling out the hypocrisy of admitting you previously had one account but weren't admitting another being used for months on a thread about how it's okay to have multiple personas.

I edited because you pointed out it could be viewed that way. That is not how I intended it to be viewed at all. And again, I apologize.

I edited my post not because I felt there was an error in my ways, but because some people don't see the world as it is, but as they are.

And because of that, I wanted to insure there was no misunderstandings.

Carry on.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

No need I understood what you meant. It just took me a sec. The name was on my first post and hardly has anything to do with what we're talking about.

(Instead of "someone" I said Eamonn because I thought it would be cute.) ^-^

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Umm said:No need I understood what you meant. It just took me a sec. The name was on my first post and hardly has anything to do with what we're talking about.

(Instead of "someone" I said Eamonn because I thought it would be cute.) ^-^

Perception can be tricky. People can interperet things differently than how you honestly intend them. It's best to edit ( if possible ) to prevent misunderstandings.

I'm glad I won't be hearing gossip about WHY you were mad at Eamonn! LOL!

Go to page:
Go to: