Go to page:

How much money is enough money? for you?

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16186

I would like to have more money than I have now. Travel a little. Anyway, enough money I think is relative. I would be deliriously happy with a smidge of what Richard Branson has as he would be just as happy if he had ten times what he has now.

composedWITHrazors
Blade Artist
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 84

I have been flush and I have been skint. Similar circumstances to miss sub. You never realise the value of a pound till you aint got one in your pocket. Also when its dark times its easier to take your limited cash and spend it to self medicate yourself to escape the crushing situation you have found yourself in.

I am lucky that I realise now the worth of a person is not relative to their bank balance. Its common decency. Take for example the homeless chap who went to the aid of a victim in the recent london terror attacks.

How much money do we need? Just enough to be a fair and caring society. Why is this culture of greed and bling so popular? I dont understand.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16186

You have to be greedy and crave popularity to understand that, Razor. I don't understand that too. But if I have a little more money, well, travel is one of my main thing to do...pending which the internet is a good conduit to see far away places.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Just started reading The Phylosopher and the Wolf, which is kinda fitting to this discussion.  The first chapter describes the inner ape in us all, which is similar to the selfish gene; we're pretty much wired to look out for ourselves (some more than others); if we help another then what's in it for me?  Anyway, the author explains that we all have a soul; perhaps it's our mind or our conscience; he refers to this voice or internal story as our inner wolf.  The wolf within calls bullshit on the ape inside and reminds us that, what is of real value cannot be quantified or traded.

Money is just a tool, unfortunatley many people in the world worship it like a god.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

i think six dollars is about right
i earned that from taking some kind of psych research test at a local universityfinding various places to sleep like a plastic polyjohn portable restroom at a construction site
an electric golf cart with its rain cover on
and in the bushes along a jogging trail thru the canyon in southern california
i am pretty skinny looking with all  the biking
i do (well i borrowed a bike left abandoned
at the U,)
well i would get food from behind the grocery dumpster
one guy would hand it out
another would come out saying
"you know what you are doing is illegal"
i would defiantly say i guess its illegal to be hungry
well i saved those six dollars so long that one day i accidentally threw them away

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

Enough that I would end up with a positive at the end of the day/week/month. I say with my current situation in mind: where I don't pay rent but do not have a job, where I have a mobile phone and a hand-me-down ipad, but do not have a smartphone like my contemporaries.

The dream amount for me would probably be that of the first mentioned millionaires and billionaires: in order to then simply extend my hand and spend money to reshape the world and right the nonsensical wrongs in the world. To not feel helpless: where I can provide the means and tools to fund and back the willpower of the good and strong. Those millions and billions would be in circulation, more to my name than to my bank account; ever flowing and can be directed to plug a leak if needed.

Yet for a truly happy life, no amount of money is ever the right amount, as happiness is found in moments and time that eternally run out and have limited lifespans. Even as much money as there atoms and possibilities in the universe could not buy eternal happiness. It is through the sheer pricelessness and uniqueness that happiness has value.
Whilst contentment is somewhat person specific; though generally points towards a state of less and of letting go - that the one with nothing is the one with contentment.

The irritating thing is not people who have lots of money or all the money, or even those who want money as the want-mores have the benefit of being productive and active and maybe mean some of their more trickles down to the less fortunate. The really irritating and simply wrong thing is the case of those without awareness and perception: those who want more and think nothing of millions just because they could have had more, and are not aware of those who have almost nothing.

It is an intensely irritating thing for me that modern affluent society is one based on materials and posturing, without status or value. That people get the new phone, the new machine, the new game, because it is new, and not because it progresses technology or experience. That people wear bling, show off their smartphones, and posture, to present themselves as being all important and fancy rather than showing off their occupation or skills. That importance is based on what you have and can show in items, not in deeds or efforts or skills of sport/art/craft/knowledge.
That in an affluent society, life is for leisure and leisure is the only god. - Then some act of terrorism hits and people still revert to panicking like anyone else from any other time and their fancy clothes and technology are all for nought: that when the shit hits the fan only a few seem capable enough of putting on gloves and dealing with it.

And this is making me rather depressed, seeing as those same panicking people are fully capable of immense acts of self-sacrifice and aid, but only when encouraged and intensely evoked to.

archetype23
Tyrant of Words
United States 7awards
Joined 5th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 3672

Could you spare a few bucks, buddy?

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Fizzle
Ammiture
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 5th Sep 2016
Forum Posts: 99

You don't need any money to live a happy life.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

How much money? - it depends on the difficulty of the hit :-p

Gearigon
Cognitive Ignition
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 22nd Feb 2015
Forum Posts: 43

I don't live to work.  I work to live.  I would spend enough to do the work I love, and the things i believe in.  The rest...who cares.

SamiBmuse
Thought Provoker
United Kingdom
Joined 9th July 2017
Forum Posts: 63

unfortunately in todays society money is a must, now to ask how much money do you need, it depends on what your goals are and how you wish to live your life.
for me, I just need enough to live and not worry, as long as I have food, a roof, and 'my god' cigarettes lol I'm happy.
(the cigarettes stop me from killing people on a daily basis haha)

landolover
Strange Creature
Joined 11th July 2017
Forum Posts: 3

alot

Tai_2
Strange Creature
Joined 1st Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 4

In my mind I don't care how poor I am or how much money I don't have, as long as my children see me actively in their life from day one and I can raise them as morally great human beings that's all that matters to me.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5262

Tai_2 said:In my mind I don't care how poor I am or how much money I don't have, as long as my children see me actively in their life from day one and I can raise them as morally great human beings that's all that matters to me.

Echo!!!

Go to page:
Go to: