Page:

What do you think

EpicUtester69
Just a simple poet
Dangerous Mind
Australia 5awards
Joined 10th Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 122

Do you think that technology today is making us more rude and less respectful, what are your thoughts on this topic!

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16069

Rude people are that way because of many things but one of them is their upbringing. Their parents did not teach them that being rude is unpleasant which could be because the parents were never taught that by their parents either. They are also rude because they have low self-esteem and want to get noticed.  Rudeness is the only way they can gain attention.  I think it has nothing to do with technology

poet Anonymous

My first thought is on rudeness itself, and I'm inclined to think that rudeness depends on the opinion of the person condemning it rude behaviour. For example (and I'll use myself as an example) - I swear like it's going out of style. But the way I was brought up means that this is normal for me. So much so that I use those swears as a term of endearment, even sometimes a greeting - and that's normal for me. Now, some people do (and have) find that rude, but to me it's nothing. So surely rudeness is dictated by the individual defining it as rude.

Secondly, the question refers to technology. I think technology essentially provides this mask and with it, a sense on anonymity that makes a person be a lot more raucous than they perhaps would be in real life. So I do think that technology makes us more rude. I hate the fact that it breeds this kind of human ignorance, that digital words replace the need to have real conversations with people.

That's why I like Skype so much I think. It reminds us that we are real people, with real faces, having real thoughts, capable of face to face conversations. It reminds us that there is a person on the other end of the keyboard. That's a good anchor.

Trixareforkids
Dangerous Mind
United States 6awards
Joined 2nd Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 2597

I think we choose to be friendly or not based on a few words on a page, the rudeness is inherent in the person at the keyboard.  The distance that technology allows us to engage from may afford some rude people the feeling of freedom to be an asshat, but it is not the cause of the asshattery.

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

Miss_Sub said:My first thought is on rudeness itself, and I'm inclined to think that rudeness depends on the opinion of the person condemning it rude behaviour. For example (and I'll use myself as an example) - I swear like it's going out of style. But the way I was brought up means that this is normal for me. So much so that I use those swears as a term of endearment, even sometimes a greeting - and that's normal for me. Now, some people do (and have) find that rude, but to me it's nothing. So surely rudeness is dictated by the individual defining it as rude.  

Miss Sub, two things occur to me when I read this paragraph. The first is that you seem to suggest that we are prisoners of our upbringing, that we cannot possibly modify or change our behaviour because, 'that's how I was brought up'. This seems to me a very defeatist attitude that denies any originality or determination on the part of the individual to live life according to his or her values, not somebody else's.

Secondly, you suggest that it is the person who perceives certain words or actions as being rude who is at fault. Well, up to a point - we all have our own value systems, many of them held in common with the majority of the society we live in. If, however, I know that a torrent of obscenity or the use of crude racial epithets will upset or embarrass a particular person who has dome nothing to offend me, I will normally resist the temptation to speak in this way. I don't blame the other person for being over-sensitive or looking for rudeness, I'd call it being polite and having some concern for the feelings of others.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

I think technology can enhance rudeness because it's easy to hide behind a keyboard and let loose. I believe also, that there has to be a personality trait for rudeness, in place as well, that just gets amplified online because there's little or no repurcussion for it.

I believe as well, that anyone can change their behavior if they truly want to and make the effort to do so--there comes a time in life when it's no longer Mommy and Daddy's fault, for one's negative behavior and all on the person for their actions.

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

I don't know the connection between technology and rudeness.

Rudeness is an attitude, not really limitted to choice of words. Its contextual. I can talk to people who insert Fuck, Shit, bullshit, Damn every five letters and I wouldn't think of him as rude if he is not  saying it in reference to me. Also, one could be rude eloquently, without saying crude things... like being internationally sarcastic and argumentatitve and aggressive. I would also consider the other party's origin and their command in the English Language. Really, it's just a matter of reading between the lines and understanding or misunderstanding as the case maybe.. (Technology is innocent, Intention and attitude os the real culprit.)

Gearigon
Cognitive Ignition
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 22nd Feb 2015
Forum Posts: 43

I think technology is a house of cards, laid on a foundation of quicksand.  I wouldn't blame it solely for the ongoing, constant attacks on community everywhere.  
 But i will say, it is a tool that could unite humanity, but instead is being used to divide us all.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Technology is a barrier to face to face communication - in the same way that a car is - put some folk behind the wheel of a car and all of a sudden their inner devil comes out - road rage, rudeness, semi-bravery and plastic heroics - people feel safe behind a screen and keyboard and they say things to others they wouldn't dare say when face to face - I speak from some experience (those who remember Yaho chatrooms will get it) Technology affords us the option of being mega-rude because we don't see real consequenses.

Page:
Go to: