Go to page:

Ultra Feminists, feminists and men

mialat
Strange Creature
Joined 26th Oct 2017
Forum Posts: 1

Rupi Kaur is a popular modern author well known for her literary work in the form of poetry. “Milk and Honey” is a New York Times Bestseller and earned Kaur popular recognition as well as thousands of followers on both Instagram and Twitter. Her poetry details the aspects of women in today’s modern society and brings to light many major social topics.
One of Kaur’s poems details of a woman addressing the struggle she faces finding commitment and expresses self love and power.  This poem is located in the chapter known as “the breaking” which deals with poetry the author identified with the feeling of being broken and/or the path to breaking. Milk and Honey contains four different chapters, the hurting, the loving, the breaking, and the healing. All of these chapters include aspects of feminism, relationships, sex, and other social instances in today’s modern society. None of the poems within the book contain titles, they are all simply separated into chapters and placed where the author seemed fit. The specific poem written in the chapter of the breaking focuses on the aspect of relationships and commitment and the author uses metaphors and imagery to appeal to the reader.
     In present day America, relationships are extraordinarily different from relationships in past times. We see in today’s culture a rise in open relationships, divorce, cheating and a decrease in respect and monogamy. Who is to blame for this, the music industry, movies, celebrities? We are evolving as a culture and things seem to gain and lose value. There has been a rise in mental illnesses and social media representation (MacMillan). Many members of society express their feelings in different ways. Some lead towards social media outreach, posting on sites like twitter and instagram. Others take towards athletics or music to release energy built up. Many people, such as the author Kaur, express their feelings and emotions through writing.
     A sketch of a city is drawn directly above the poem. The author uses this to give effect to her writing and as symbolization. The poem is not directly about a city but uses it as a symbol to convey her message to readers. Not every poem contains a sketch or drawing, the author uses them to add extra meaning and originality to her works.
     Kaur’s focus on this specific piece was primarily on the concept of relationships as well as feminism. She shows this by describing a form of a relationship between her and her audience. Using first person narrative she includes words like “you” and “I” to refer to this relationship and draw the audience in. One phrase she used, “i am not street meat i am homemade jam”(line 10) symbolizes empowerment in a way of context. Street meat conveys easy, out in the open, which explains why Kaur uses it in terms of a metaphor. Homemade jam takes time to make a process but is worth it in the end because it is sweet and doesn’t require a quick store purchase but does require time and commitment. Kaur uses metaphors in a powerful way to support the ideas of power structure and relationships.
The purpose of Kaur’s poem is to generate an emotional response from the readers. Kaur attempts to find common ground with readers in a way of common experience. By writing a personal piece, which may or may not be true to the author, she describes a common feeling an experience many face in relationships. The concept the piece focuses in on is commitment. Commitment in a relationship is an interpersonal relationship with a significant other, based on mutually agreed terms and faithfulness to one another. Metaphors are used throughout the poem to highlight this point and allude to commitment issues the author is facing. A clear metaphor Kaur uses towards the end of the poem is, “i am not a hotel room i am home”(line 19). Hotels are associated with short term stays and multiple occupants, homes are more often permanent or long-term commitments with the same residents inhabiting for the length of the duration. Therefore, we can conclude the author is sending a message, whether it be to readers or a specific person, that she is a long-term personal commitment and not a short-term visit or opportunity for comfort.  
Kaur uses metaphors and imagery in the form of poetry to emphases and display the role of commitment and power in relationship structures. The poetry can correspond with common human emotions and uses commonalities to appeal to the audience. The lack of titles within the book promote thinking and allow the reader to make their own interpretations. Symbolism, metaphors, and imagery are powerful tools that endorse deeper analysis and understanding from readers.

slowfires5
Lost Thinker
Joined 30th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 22

feminism is a sub-culture grown by women to take back the power and control of their bodies

such as preventing her from getting and keeping a job, asking the man for money, giving her an

allowance, the cycle of violence against women comes down through the ages, such as witches,

sexual frenzied violence against children, women.

as a man in a notorious biker gang riding a softail i did not choose to be a humanist( and this is not
casting a shadow over miss_sub or restraint)

i chose cognitive empathy when dealing with women,
twin crystal thinking,

poet Anonymous

It’s ok. I consider myself unshadowed, sir.

slowfires5
Lost Thinker
Joined 30th Dec 2017

it's new years eve down under, mademoiselle, or miss_sub, it's 2pm and i,m about to start on a slab of

bad manners, have a smoke, and  by morning still have all my scales and scalp, but will be headless and giddy.

you have have a wonderful new-year and may your sails be full.

poet Anonymous

Missy. My name is Missy.

Well it’s just turned morning on New Year’s Eve in England so toodle pip, hop-skip, and have a goodun yourself. 👍🏻

slowfires5
Lost Thinker
Joined 30th Dec 2017

let me extend the hand of equanimity to you missy, feminism to men has become
ambiguous,  as though men are being plucked out by the roots, because of their  stupidity.
if i was to hurt a woman out of sheer anger, and the blind side of opinion, i would with a perpendicular posture  before a judge, suffer the pains and penalties  

LunasChild8
Dangerous Mind
Canada 21awards
Joined 27th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 536

Feminism as an idea is not bad, but it's got to be applied in the right countries. It makes no sense to me why feminists are attacking the so-called "white-patriarchy" of Western Civilization. They live in one of the best societies in the world and have plenty of rights. Ask a woman in a Middle-Eastern country what rights they have.

From my observations (note that I'm not saying every feminist is like this), but the modern feminism movement is a political move to distribute the wealth from the working men to them as they use the excuse of suppression and inequality. More and more men are committing suicide, and in a statistic I once read in an online article, close to 75% of millennial men believe that asking a woman out for a drink is a form of "sexual harassment."  

Ladies, it's great that you want to advocate equal rights between both sexes, but alienating men and painting them as the "enemy" is not the solution, nor is it true. I'm a free woman; I respect men, and I know that men respect me too.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Yin/Yang...feminine and masculine is different in all of us...some men have more feminine energy then masculine...while some women have more masculine energy than some men...thus we are all different...Margaret Thatcher vs The Dalai Lama...in most of nature essence precedes existence in many ways...what makes humans different (NOT better) than other animals on this planet is that existence precedes essence and we are all different in many ways...some men/women want to run countries...some women/men want to have power by making lots of money in whatever field they choose, thus they become bullies in order to move up this social scale of power and greed.
For me, I follow the advice of Lao Tzu in The Tao Te Ching...Know the masculine, but keep to the feminine. So I'm a house husband who stays at home and does the cooking, the housework and shopping while my wife works as a school teacher...we have been happily married for 25 years and we are both comfortable with our roles...and I get to write poetry and play classical music throughout the day while she works very hard in a world where masculine energy drives the machinery of capitalist consumerism. Time to move beyond the old penis vs vagina argument...just masculine (yang) and feminine (yin) energy...and all of us are different when it comes to how we use our chi.
Peace...Harry

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 758

One of the original women to setup battered women's shelters throughout the U.S. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Pizzey) also wanted to set up battered men's shelters ...but was fought in every state at every turn by radical feminist organizations in court to stop her from helping men to the point that she ran out of money defending her position...4th wave nazi feminist are led by bitter white women trying to protect their jobs as feminist by manufacturing rage against men...they project the lie of "weak" women in the society...to validate a false victimhood...it is a cultural Marxist tactic and bullshit...women have never been "weak"... physical history proves it...

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

we love the ladies and their cookery,......................

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

I have always been pretty scared of women, or being with a woman in a one to one conversation. Been like that my whole life. I may joke around but in truth, I am embarrassed by my own gender they are shameful without shame.

but it worries me that women especially the new feminists' solution seems to be acting just like men. Women are so much more than that, why lower your standards.

Ok, Ok I have reached my seriousness threshold  :-o

how many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb????

A: 21

I to change the bulb the other 20 to set up a support group

poet Anonymous

I’m in one of those women’s support groups. Eat my estrogen...

Na, I’m involved very much in supporting other women. I do attend two women’s circles and have come to believe that the more positivity we have in our lives, the better the world can be. These are women who do not judge each other. Who lift and support each other. Who celebrate each other’s achievements — we all could do with a bit more of that in our lives.

None of us however, like the word “feminist”. Because it has a negative connotation associated with it. I believe in women. I’m a supporter or women. I’m a lover of women.... but I’d prefer not to be labelled with that feminist word, kthx.  

elsiesan
Fire of Insight
United States
Joined 21st Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 122

Have to laugh at this one. Love the support group thing. Not all women are that way though. I am scared of support groups. Always have that "betterthanme" stinking thinking bullshit.

Thanks for 5he comment and the laugh. Heh heh.

poet Anonymous

elsiesan said:Have to laugh at this one. Love the support group thing. Not all women are that way though. I am scared of support groups. Always have that "betterthanme" stinking thinking bullshit.

Thanks for 5he comment and the laugh. Heh heh.

On the contrary, I had the same fears. Until I joined one.

Our support groups are supportive, free of judgement and inclusive of the fact that when one woman falls another will help her up as well as celebrate our collective achievements.

Go find one. Free your mind.

Go to page:
Go to: