Then one day you realize you're art is being exploited

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. ... Ernest Hemingway

Dear Anonymous Phantom ...

It's ironically sad that you equate money with meaningful art;  and from what you've described, human connection and building relationships has no place in your bottomline.

I never grow tired of thanking those here who've helped me grow as a poet, writer,  and stroryteller.  

I've more than a few times rejoiced in telling of my experiences in getting poems and essays published in SERENDIPITY magazine (Athens, Greece) when a then member of DUP picked up on my work, and that of a kick ass Aussie, I now call my brother.

He came to NYC to visit me, and we checked out jazz and reggae bands in Harlem, and recited our poetry at the world famous Nuyorican.   Four months later we were guests of that publisher in Greece at an arts festival in Athens.  It was a glorious time filled with laughter, dancing and art.

Those experiences gave me the courage to write more social political pieces about growing up in a community where heroin flowed like water, and also about the violence I saw in my home which led to my father being shot and killed by the police ...

Trust me, I'm asking no one here for fuckn tears on that ... the redemption comes in seeing my oldest daughter work as an AIDS/HIV advocate, and march with those during the Occupy Wall Street movement and march in the protest of the murder of Trevaughn Martin (and yeah I've written on those things too).

The ideas to write on those things came from competitions hosted here on THIS site, or from reading the sparkling work of others HERE!

I wasn't engaged in a race to fatten my bank account,  I just enjoy writing about the agonizingly glorious and painful conditions of the human race.

I haven't made enough money from my writing to buy a pack of cigarettes, so it's a good thing I don't fuckn smoke.  Nonetheless I wouldn't trade my time with those I've met here for the fortune 🔮 you claim you've made from YouTube.

Next year my studies will take me to Rome, and then I'll spend some time in Paris or Amsterdam retracing some of the steps of Baldwin, Wright and Hemingway, and when I'm there I'll write about it ...

Post it all HERE ...

Just happy to share the joys and pains of life with people worth caring about.

Good luck with your deletion, you'll be missed.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
escape_artist_322
Lost Thinker
Joined 6th May 2017
Forum Posts: 58

And without this digital platform, how many of you would still be writers? But yes, let's not go off subject.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

escape_artist_322 said:And without this digital platform, how many of you would still be writers? But yes, let's not go off subject.

That's sort of the point isn't it ... this platform, and others like it, give those who might otherwise be voiceless (including yourself) a forum to connect with others globally without the stranglehold of established corporate media.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

DaddyPhantom said:
I actually get more from DUP than it gets from me. How many can other Poets on this site say that?

Yes I also get more from DUP
than I put in.
I am starting to discover interesting people
Thru their poetry

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Some of us were writing before electric typewriters became mainstream in the 80's.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14269

JohnnyBlaze said:Some of us were writing before electric typewriters became mainstream in the 80's.

📝

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

It's free to the user, so someone has to make money to make the website work. Seems pretty simple to me.

If you'd like to be paid for your work, then expect to pay to use the service.

Also, a small reminder that poetry doesn't pay, hence the freedom of the artform...it's very worthlessness is its greatest value.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

Also, 'your', for fucks sake.

Also, had to laugh at "hard earned work". Let's be pretty honest and admit that 99% of what is posted on here is absolute shit, my own included, so not sure I can see all the "value" we're laying down to be exploited...

Poem-Worm
Poetry Worm
Thought Provoker
Joined 1st Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 346

DaddyPhantom said:Congratulations! This poem has been nominated for Deep Underground Poetry's Featured Poem of the Month Competition
[...]

#Tequila

But seriously, a worm has no need for money.  What a worm does have need for is funneling the underground for underexposed poet/esses and providing exposure across social networking sites ( of which we are not reimbursed for ).

The only thing in my bank account is gratitude from featured poets. That's about as rich as you can get for a poem-worm. 💰

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

hemihead said: Let's be pretty honest and admit that 99% of what is posted on here is absolute shit, my own included, so not sure I can see all the "value" we're laying down to be exploited...

SMASHING the like button repetitively!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

JohnnyBlaze said:

Maybe I could dye my thinning greying hair orange like the Heat Miser.

Wait---I thought you had dreads...you know, your avatar, and all...

poet Anonymous

hullo

if Im not mistaken, Muggle done this on some level. ( sans facebook) .wouldn't have thought it exploiting. most people like the added validation or nod. some declined, which was totally fine too. why wouldn't it be.

the value of poetry is both subjective and collective. it's hard to judge someone on how they value theirs. more than that, why would anyone want to.

on one hand, the site is geared for competition. we get regular updates on how many views, likes, rsading lists, comments, comments liked, competitions held, trophies,  challenges ..views on profile etc etc, and it's no harm. fair enough some people take it a bit seriously

the way I value my poetry these days is by keeping it here in one place. poetry here remains the property of the author. it's fundamental

this is really simple. if  being a part of the poetry-worm-hole to face book is not mandatory than opt the fk out  

edit: ..no passive aggressive -ness from me. no sah

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

Ard-Ri said:hullo

the way I value my poetry these days is by keeping it here in one place. poetry here remains the property of the author. it's fundamental

this is really simple. if  being a part of the poetry-worm-hole to face book is not mandatory than opt the fk out  instead of whingeing about exploitation like Peter Green when he got clean

Much agree with this point...the other place I keep scribbling's are paper and lap-top .......I know crazy right? I could be making pennies a day off this hacked out crap
This site was my first for Writing...and still the only one I care to call home.
It is still the savvy one of the lot out there!!!
If You are looking to make a buck...best to find a job

***I have some very rare prints of originals I penned at 15...I sell them out of my garage on weekends ..Authentic Mead paper (mint and near/mint condition) stop by they're going fast

Go to page:
Go to: