Go to page:

Should we be really scared of death? are you?

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

Should we be really scared of death? are you? has anyone made peace with the fact that it might come anytime and are they ready to face it? let's be honest here and see everyone's perspectives on this inevitable fact.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16186

Recently a friend was at the hospital and while they were testing her for something, she did not breath for more than 20 seconds. She saw a light and she was walking towards it, she was acceptable to death but they revived her and she said it hurts when she suddenly woke up.
My take on this is, I am scared of the perceived pain of dying but when its there already, I would be accepting. After all no one can escape death.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

You were dead for eternity (near enough) and will be dead for eternity again. I don’t see anything to fear.

The act of dying has some fear, if it’s not a good one (and by ‘good’ I mean painless, or at least fast, or hammered and doing some stupid shit, or doing something or someone I love). Death though, baby I’m ready. Now, tomorrow, 100 years…they’re all the same in the end.

wingless42
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 17th July 2015
Forum Posts: 11

In my experience people aren't so much afraid of death as they are the thought of not knowing what's next, what's not seen right in front of you. Some are also afraid of not finishing there desires, to leave regretfully and never truly cross there personal finish line, everyone is different but one thing is certain, oblivion.

Death to me is the final chapter to our lives in this world. Who knows what's next. It could be an adventure, noone knows. What I do know is when it comes I'll be ready, without fear, without regret.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

wingless42 said:In my experience people aren't so much afraid of death as they are the thought of not knowing what's next, what's not seen right in front of you. Some are also afraid of not finishing there desires, to leave regretfully and never truly cross there personal finish line, everyone is different but one thing is certain, oblivion.

Death to me is the final chapter to our lives in this world. Who knows what's next. It could be an adventure, noone knows. What I do know is when it comes I'll be ready, without fear, without regret.

Wonderfully said ... my thoughts and feelings as well.

hemihead
hemi
Dangerous Mind
New Zealand 13awards
Joined 1st Nov 2010
Forum Posts: 1749

(a small aside...I have "died" several times...suffocated as a child which involved slow loss of ability to breathe, knocked unconscious in the water which was quick, car accident which gave me a slip second to contemplate what was about to happen, logging accident which included slow bleed-out.....and the enduring memory of all of them was that once I realised I was fucked it was actually pretty relaxing, but the fight, until that moment, is a not-so-shit-hot experience)

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I'm not afraid of the death at all, I think the older one gets the more they come to terms with the idea of death.  Like many others, I'm more bothered of how I die, especially after watching my father suffer a long drawn out death (he had vascular dementia)

Some mornings I wake up and just feel too tired to deal with life and the thought of a long sleep can be very inviting (no I'm not depressed)  Life is testing, death is relief. (no I'm not suicidal)
I don't want to go yet, I still have a ten+ year celibacy to end. :O

poet Anonymous

It really is just fear of the unknown. I'm quite afraid of the circumstances of my death. My Grandfather for example died on the toilet reading the newspaper, and who wants to go through that.

I think I have become a lot more at peace with the whole thing since I have realised that everything has a place and a time. Everything is a circle. Once you start understanding the circles, the living and the dying becomes that little bit easier. Animals know nothing of their death however. I always wondered what that must be like.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Tossing in the Jesus-freak perspective : nope, not afraid at all and mostly I'd welcome death because I know/believe that life on Earth is just a dress rehearsal for life beyond here.

The only thing I'd fear about death, is wondering if I did enough in this life, to plant the seeds of belief in family and friends, so that they'll be joining me as well, in the better of two choices, for where to spend eternity.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

I think fear of death is something that we can embrace.  If humans didn't fear death, then we'd all be driving our cars like fuckwits and the world would collapse into war and reckless carnage.  Fear of death motivates people to fight predators and disease, and gives people a reason to live a more fulfilling life.

Accepting fear is accepting death.

I think I learnt to accept death by considering the cycles of the natural world.  Everything around us exists in cycles, seasons, day and night, the moon, the tides, a wave, evaporation and precipitation, a flower and a seed, whether you believe in eternal life in a spiritual sense or through the birth of a child, death is just a part of the endless cycle of life.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Miss_Sub said:My Grandfather for example died on the toilet reading the newspaper, and who wants to go through that.

No disrespect to you or the dearly departed, but I'm pretty certain after the moment passed for your grandfather, he no longer gave a shit... about dying.

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Bring it on!

I'm ever ready
I want to explore and live past this life.

Can't wait for it, really.

poet Anonymous

case28 said:

No disrespect to you or the dearly departed, but I'm pretty certain after the moment passed for your grandfather, he no longer gave a shit... about dying.

He didn't as he shuffled off this mortal coil. Those left behind to find it is a slightly different story. Big difference.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

KDAmB said:Should we be really scared of death? are you? has anyone made peace with the fact that it might come anytime and are they ready to face it? let's be honest here and see everyone's perspectives on this inevitable fact.

Death is but a doorway to knowledge and understanding entwined; those who don't fear Truth don't fear Death.

This Life is but a preparation for the next blueprint of experience.

Go to page:
Go to: