Go to page:

The great political debate

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

I've been reading some submissions from two comps here, one about how terrible Trump is, one about how terrible Obama was. I do not talk about my political views much in fear I will put people off because I am somewhat conservative, really I am a conservative libertarian (I want drugs to be legal but a well protected border ect) and many people I know are not, I never want people to judge me based only on my political view, being that I disagree with many of my closest friends politically I don't think it is hard at all to get along, but we all seem to have knee-jerk reactions to someone with a different view. I am not the biggest Trump fan by any stretch, but I am much more aligned with many of his policies than I ever was Obamas'. I do not think Obama was the worst president ever, I think he was a slight improvement from George W Bush, I think they were both bad presidents over all, that is just my view though. But I want this tread for us all to put our views out there, for a open discussion without personally attacking one another.

poet Anonymous

While I have no desire to participate in the vast sh*tstorm that is American politics and largely avoid looking at what Vanilla Isis is up to these days, not to mention I'm a little busy observing my own sinking ship (#Brexit) I heard a quote on TV the other day that summarised the whole Trump experience quite well:

"People have been comparing Donald Trump to Hitler, which is totally wrong, because at least Hitler had a plan."

anonymouslyhere
Pariah Shadow
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 31st Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1633

Miss_Sub said:While I have no desire to participate in the vast sh*tstorm that is American politics and largely avoid looking at what Vanilla Isis is up to these days, not to mention I'm a little busy observing my own sinking ship (#Brexit) I heard a quote on TV the other day that summarised the whole Trump experience quite well:

"People have been comparing Donald Trump to Hitler, which is totally wrong, because at least Hitler had a plan."

Well, ya know, it might also be totally wrong because Hitler killed at least six million people, there is also that.

This is my issue every time I try to discuss Trump, it seems people jump to Trump being Hitler, which isn't an argument. It is weird to me because there are SO many ways you could come at a debate about Trump to attack his policies intellectually (not you personally, I know you don't care about American politics but the collective who dislike him so much) and I would respect it, I am highly critical of him my self so I might even agree but, he isn't a Nazi, or even a white nationalist.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

he reminds me of my grandpa

..i think he's probably a good person but his views are a lot different from mine

MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 225

There is not much to debate at the moment.

Obama had eight years of mostly a Republican Congress attempting to thwart any progress with the name Obama attached to it.

Trump is the president now working with and against a mostly Republican Congress. He is a proven pathological liar surrounding himself with liars who are slowly being outed. We still have less than 4 years of the liar, his lies and the consequences of his lies to deal with.

There will be more to debate down the road.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

What's great about politics?

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

case28 said:What's great about politics?

It generates enough talk so that whoever is actually running the polis can do it uninterrupted.

Personally, I do not think I have any political agenda, I would much prefer to see things done right than see who gets the credit. Or rather see things done and the credit goes to whoever can be cunning enough to claim it.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Governments only commit to things that can get done within the term they're in power.  That's why most Governments won't plan more than 5 years into the future.  It's rare for a Government to take on something so big that they risk not being there to take the glory at the official opening, just to let the opposition take all the credit.

I'm over this shit.

Fallen_Angel_194
Angel.
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2014
Forum Posts: 318

I rarely get into the political side of Du fearing that I will say something I do not mean. I'm not the biggest fan of Mr. Trump,
He isn't hitler. Not even close. But the thing i do know is that his actions will have consequences. The people that are in his circle may have too many skeletons in their closets,and soon enough, They will be revealed.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

poetry should put a bullet in the head of politics... write a poem FFS

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

anonymouslyhere said:

Well, ya know, it might also be totally wrong because Hitler killed at least six million people, there is also that.

This is my issue every time I try to discuss Trump, it seems people jump to Trump being Hitler, which isn't an argument. It is weird to me because there are SO many ways you could come at a debate about Trump to attack his policies intellectually (not you personally, I know you don't care about American politics but the collective who dislike him so much) and I would respect it, I am highly critical of him my self so I might even agree but, he isn't a Nazi, or even a white nationalist.

I agree the comparison between Trump and Hilter - at least at this point - is a bit farfetched - Mussolini, on the other, is spot on!  

It was, of course, Il Duce that gave us the 'fascisti" from which "fascism" gets it's name... They believed that big business and government officials and bureaucrats should be completely in charge of running everything and that the people involved should move easily back and forth between the two... to ensure the consistency in the running of things. Sound familiar - how many cabinet secretaries are billionaires?

Mussolini did accomplish the impossible - he got the Italian trains to run on time, and Hitler was Time's Man of the Year for 1938 for turning around the German Economy and hosting the Olympics ( both of which he partially managed by confiscating a great deal of German Jewish wealth and property - you see "die Juden" were Hilter's "Islamic Terrorists", as "communists" were Mussolini's. Anyone for "muslim registries" - but I digress).  The thing that Time didn't know - Hitler also turned around the German economy by God-awful amounts of military production, so he could take over the European Continent, which he had begun by the annexation of Austria in 1938 and in earnest with the invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1939... the rest, as they say is history...

Look, my libertarian friend, the same folks who want to secure the borders want full rights over a woman's reproduction - that once a fetus is in her - no matter how that came to be - she becomes no more than an incubator for that fetus.  That's about as far a government can be inside in citizen's business. They want government to keep its hands off business - but as deep inside a woman as it can reach - Regulate the womb - not banks...

Individual rights have been under attack for decades and, with this administration, it will only get worse, because people who are scared, hungry, and poorly educated will buy anything.

I'll end with a quote from a founder - Ben Franklin:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

case28 said:poetry should put a bullet in the head of politics... write a poem FFS

BOOM! Shakalaka!

UnleashedHeathen
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 6th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 578

MaryWalker said:There is not much to debate at the moment.

Obama had eight years of mostly a Republican Congress attempting to thwart any progress with the name Obama attached to it.

Trump is the president now working with and against a mostly Republican Congress. He is a proven pathological liar surrounding himself with liars who are slowly being outed. We still have less than 4 years of the liar, his lies and the consequences of his lies to deal with.

There will be more to debate down the road.

Obama lied about being a negro so he could get called a president. Congress believes his lies because they believe their own lies.

You say there is not much of a debate and I agree because complaining is not debating. The democrats and otherwise are out there complaining because their mommy Hilary didn't win like they had hoped. They were thoroughly wrong and now they are crying like little mama's babies. Meanwhile, those that see without tunnel vision are accepting that there is more than one viewpoint in this world.

Go back to your nipple before you cause some trouble by not accepting reality for what is it.

MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 225

UnleashedHeathen said:

Obama lied about being a negro so he could get called a president. Congress believes his lies because they believe their own lies.

You say there is not much of a debate and I agree because complaining is not debating. The democrats and otherwise are out there complaining because their mommy Hilary didn't win like they had hoped. They were thoroughly wrong and now they are crying like little mama's babies. Meanwhile, those that see without tunnel vision are accepting that there is more than one viewpoint in this world.

Go back to your nipple before you cause some trouble by not accepting reality for what is it.

I see the Alternative Facts Convention is in full swing.

Go to page:
Go to: