Go to page:

Selective "Glitch"

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

souladareatease said:

Hopefully once again said, it CAN be fixed...again...Frequent used threads deserve it.
another hopeful moment is that this doesn't turn into another troll in the park and tit for tat -tally
Comments mentioned was actually from a standing member of the community who is highly regarded and respected
I Typed this with One finger

Lets bring the purpose back to reactivation of Q&Q  

Glad I was of service in keeping it from going further off track.

poet Anonymous

Vee said:ML, I believe most members who have been quite active in Q&Q have expressed the desire to keep that original thread present and active in the forum and accessible to all as long as possible till it's truly exhausted.  

At the moment that particular thread is 92 pages and for reference purposes i just checked the 4 letter thread got locked at 229 pages and Anagrams at 180 therefore the Q&Q has long ways to reach the point of storing away.

Totally valid point here.

Vee said:it would be more than beneficial to have their objective input in this matter, afterall there's a reason to have so many on the board to have fairness and balance.

It would be exceedingly refreshing to have some varied mod input once in a while, or even to hear what the others are thinking. If I may, maybe this is something you could pass on to the modship team by means of going forward, or as a suggestion. ML I believe you used to have an 'updates and announcements' thread that was largely beneficial - is there some sort of thread that could be used for interaction and communication with all mods? A live question forum of sorts? It would stop all sorts of other thread creating.

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5598

Miss_Sub said:

It would be exceedingly refreshing to have some varied mod input once in a while, or even to hear what the others are thinking. If I may, maybe this is something you could pass on to the modship team by means of going forward, or as a suggestion. ML I believe you used to have an 'updates and announcements' thread that was largely beneficial - is there some sort of thread that could be used for interaction and communication with all mods? A live question forum of sorts? It would stop all sorts of other thread creating.

I did have an updates thread going once, for that very purpose.  It turned sour at one point, for a reason that I really can't remember, and its presence was then found to not be necessary, per decision of Admin.  I remained respectful of that, and did not start a new thread to replace the previous one.

It started out as a good and useful concept, and I've not come up with any good ideas for an alternate solution, but if anyone else has thoughts/ideas--toss them out there, or in here.

As for other mod input--I agree that all mods should participate, but like with every other member here, there are things in life that take precedence, at times, or they participate in other ways, that may not be readily visible in the forums.  We can't really make someone post, I guess, is what I'm saying, but the ones who do, do it in an effort to remain visible, approachable, open, and what have you.  

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

Vee said:As for the other Mods, It's completely understandable that not all are present at all times but it seems that given the delicate nature of the issue concerning the member in question who started these threads, it would be more than beneficial to have their objective input in this matter, afterall there's a reason to have so many on the board to have fairness and balance.

Miss_Sub said:It would be exceedingly refreshing to have some varied mod input once in a while, or even to hear what the others are thinking. If I may, maybe this is something you could pass on to the modship team by means of going forward, or as a suggestion. ML I believe you used to have an 'updates and announcements' thread that was largely beneficial - is there some sort of thread that could be used for interaction and communication with all mods? A live question forum of sorts? It would stop all sorts of other thread creating.

I do not speak for all the Mods, but for me on cases of technology and website coding I have rather little to say and can be better summed up with silence. As some Mods do not haunt DU every day it seems slightly unfair to press them for a response and reply on this matter or on some matters, especially if they are not known for commenting on matters.
I understand there is a desire for transparency and response, but having a response from every moderator, a response that could be very small and have little idea or concern for the topic in hand, seems rather counterproductive.

A live question forum could be beneficial but past evidence proves that a question or topic or event often needs a whole thread for itself. Not all the problems or things are clear cut with quick solutions, sometimes leading to discussions which goes towards providing a short and long term solution for the topic.
Such a forum or thread/threads of a Q&A with the Mod Squad, also has the risk of ending up being the responsibility of a few or only one Mod, whose views and answers do not necessarily represent those of DU or the Webmistress or other Mods. The need to answer a question of the Q&A would be best done as soon as possible, but it may well take time for even the Mods to work out what the answer is.

On the original topic of losing a thread when a member is banned or removed or leaves, it might help if a dummy account is set up to host such threads. Possibly putting the DU Worm as the host, so that the thread is still displayed and other members can post in it, although the host/banned/left member's posts will still be absent. The invisible/lost threads are a way to hide the damage that a banned member has caused, so that other members do not carry on the fight or become further casualties. A good thought, but as this thread shows, not without fault which will hopefully be changed for the better because of this!

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Update:  the mystery is solved on the Q & Q thread-- looks like there was a setting off or applied wrong to it, that was causing it to not show up in the live feed, so this has been rectified.  No idea how long it's been like that, or how it got mis-set, but occasionally when doing things on mobile, there is the strong possibility for human error, pressing the wrong prompt or button, due to the much smaller display, than on a laptop, tablet, etc.  This particular one, looks to me like it was indeed a glitch, as the culprit setting, appeared multiple times from our end, which is really odd.

It should show up now, and if anyone notices any other threads doing the same thing, give a heads up, so we can go have a look to see if the same thing happened.

Edit:  There's definitely some sort of weird glitch going on--we've had a couple of members unable to log in, got it fixed, and now there's another who can't log in.  It's probably something that's affecting different areas and functions, intermittently, so any problems noticed at all, give a heads up either here or message the DUP Facebook page if you're having trouble logging in here and you have access to FB

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DUPoetry/?multi_permalinks=10155116937394312&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1488091385977780

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

MadameLavender said:Update:  the mystery is solved on the Q & Q thread-- looks like there was a setting off or applied wrong to it, that was causing it to not show up in the live feed, so this has been rectified.  No idea how long it's been like that, or how it got mis-set, but occasionally when doing things on mobile, there is the strong possibility for human error, pressing the wrong prompt or button, due to the much smaller display, than on a laptop, tablet, etc.  This particular one, looks to me like it was indeed a glitch, as the culprit setting, appeared multiple times from our end, which is really odd.

It should show up now, and if anyone notices any other threads doing the same thing, give a heads up, so we can go have a look to see if the same thing happened.

an on off switch lol well at least it didn't take recoding or other high-tech malarky!!!
Thank You -Mods both for giving Your time/words and energy to this-Seriously-Its very Appreciated

(Did You hear that Vee,  someone turned of the switch when they left the room no wonder it was fkn dark rofl)

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013

Soul--I just edited my post above yours--there's some weirdness going on that's causing people to have trouble logging in as well, so I think this is all part of the same whatever is going on.....

I checked the settings on the Q & Q thread yesterday, too, when all this came up, and it looked just fine, so it either didn't register in until now/recently, or I don't know what the heck's going on.... ugh.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

MadameLavender said:Soul--I just edited my post above yours--there's some weirdness going on that's causing people to have trouble logging in as well, so I think this is all part of the same whatever is going on.....

I checked the settings on the Q & Q thread yesterday, too, when all this came up, and it looked just fine, so it either didn't register in until now/recently, or I don't know what the heck's going on.... ugh.

I was having all kinds of problems with the forum today while using IE on my desktop. Mostly with pages loads. On several occasions I had to close DUP and reopen it in a new window.

I noticed an extra advertisement above the Taboola ads recently. I just figured the Mistress was experimenting with the layout and ad placement.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14580

JohnnyBlaze said:

I was having all kinds of problems with the forum today while using IE on my desktop. Mostly with pages loads. On several occasions I had to close DUP and reopen it in a new window.

I noticed an extra advertisement above the Taboola ads recently. I just figured the Mistress was experimenting with the layout and ad placement.

She's definitely up to her elbows in groups trying to launch asap. I know she's tested some interfaces (or whatever you call them), but I'm not sure if it's related to the log-in issues some members are experiencing.

I'm certain Mistress will have it all worked out soon.

EDIT: Johnny you said you had issues with IE. I just heard from John Feddeler who said he had to switch to chrome. Maybe it's an IE issue? Or...maybe it's a John/ny issue.

Stay tuned for our next episode of "WTF" to find out.

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

JohnnyBlaze said:

To whom it may concern in the midst of all this:

Once the Tabooa ads were mentioned, I knew I should jump in and at least bring up how in the last few days, I've been inundated with Taboola on the lower section of the DUP page I see on my iPhone screen which seems to be slowing down when I tap on the key pad, and what's really strange, is

I have an ad blocker app in play on the phone, a good one, yet now I'm seeing the Taboola ads, nonstop.  That shouldn't be.

Any thoughts?

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Yes
Take the plunge
Become a supporting member
Say goodbye to those pesky ads

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

rabbitquest said:Yes
Take the plunge

Yes I'd love to but I'm unable, limited income church mouse that I am.🐭

(My ad blocker app on my iPhone works on other sites, but not here now)

poet Anonymous

rabbitquest said:Yes
Take the plunge

I am a supporting member. I still see those ads constantly... not sure if I'm supposed to.

Also Viddax and ML, I'd like to clarify that I was in no way demanding individual mod input to the topic. I was merely saying it would be refreshing to have some different viewpoints once in a while as I'm sure you can appreciate. Hope this clears things up.

poet Anonymous

Viddax said:

I do not speak for all the Mods, but for me on cases of technology and website coding I have rather little to say and can be better summed up with silence. As some Mods do not haunt DU every day it seems slightly unfair to press them for a response and reply on this matter or on some matters, especially if they are not known for commenting on matters.
I understand there is a desire for transparency and response, but having a response from every moderator, a response that could be very small and have little idea or concern for the topic in hand, seems rather counterproductive.

Lord V, i respectfully disagree on your reasoning but I will defer that discussion with details at another time since this thread is not specifially on that issue but rather it was a plea (a hope) that other other mods would offer their suggestions/help in this matter which i stressed with some small detail the importance of it during this thread. Thank you for your thoughts and input.

souladareatease said:
(Did You hear that Vee,  someone turned of the switch when they left the room no wonder it was fkn dark rofl)

Yes, it seems to be occupational hazard

MadameLavender said:Update:  the mystery is solved on the Q & Q thread-- looks like there was a setting off or applied wrong to it, that was causing it to not show up in the live feed, so this has been rectified.

Thank you ML for your time, glad it was solved, much appreciation for your help.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Miss_Sub said:

I am a supporting member. I still see those ads constantly... not sure if I'm supposed to.

so you go to the my home page, you see "settings", click on that,
then a list of yes/no choices, so you say yes to "Hide Adverts"

Go to page:
Go to: