Page:

Squirrel of Judgement!

Poem-Worm
Poetry Worm
Thought Provoker
Joined 1st Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 346

Happy Sunday from the Squirrel of Judgment! Parts of the world are blanketed in snow, forcing indoor retrospection. For others it's warm and sunny, providing opportunities for outdoor exploration! And maybe for a few tropic areas, heavy downpours are restricting outdoor activities. So, what ARE you doing creatively on this Sunday? And why?

Deep Underground Poetry's new Poet, LoudninjaMaster (A blind sensai), believes in "Quality over quantity.  I  thought I had to be in a mood (i.e. anxious, lonely, longing...) to write. Now I'm not sure that's strictly true; I've noticed recently it has more to do with having something to express."

Tell us why you create, and more importantly, WHAT you are creating. Remember, the Squirrel of Judgment is watching! And if you don't think it matters, wait until the next time you're driving around the curves of those country roads.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154849372888665&substory_index=0&id=148635498664

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

The meme is hilarious. And oddly true, especially if you drive. :\

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 180

There is no ONE particular reason to explain why I create.  However, "to express myself" usually is the case, whether feeling emotional (good or bad), or when I have something to say that might otherwise come across as harsh or angry and may otherwise turn into an argument, poetry is an outlet that allows me to "tone down" and separate negative feelings from positive emotions, like a filter.  

For example:  A piece I wrote: "Highway Of No Return" was directly written for my mom.  I wanted to confront her about her seemingly giving up on her health.  Selfishly, I wanted to yell at her and 'get her' to continue with her treatments.  However, I knew if I approached her in conversation, it would become a debate leading into a possible argument of my wants vs. her wants, and I even thought, as I brainstormed, how it could even lead to hurting her feelings just because I was hurting watching her fading away.  Bottom line:  To avoid my feelings of heaviness to come to play and ruin my relationship in part with my mom, I resulted to writing "Highway Of No Return."  Writing this piece helped me remain non-bias and consider both, my mom's feelings and my own and filter through only the FACTS of my thoughts, while filtering out my strong negative feelings that urged to "shake her up."

When I presented her the poem, we both cried and she was receptive because the poem-format filtered out all the things that could have otherwise resulted into debate and argument.  It was like giving her filtered water rather than water with its pollutants (if I would have just argued my case in conversation)..  

However, I wrote "Ghostly Encounter" strictly for FUN simply to join in on the '5 Senses' Endless Competition.  It has no need for my personal feelings of doom and gloom, or love and hate.....No!  The poet before me left me 5 senses to include in my poem, and my 'scribbles' led ME to produce/deliver "Ghostly Encounter."

It is the Same "scribbling" that produced, "The Gloom of the Princess" for the DUP's king/Queen of Comed Competition,, and "H-E-L-P. HOTLINE," for the Suicide Hotline Competition.  They are all lite and witty for FUN read.

"Sidewalk For Two" was just created this AM just because I wanted to address racial ignorance.  But, it had nothing to do with deep emotions of severe feelings.  I just took it upon myself to bring myself to express and address racism in a poem format.

So, in conclusion:  No!  Feelings are NOT a requirement to produce a good poem, though they DO "savour" better the stronger the feeling...,But, scribbles and doodles does not necessarily produce BAD work either..,"Scribble poems could even be considered a breath of fresh air from the norm....:)

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

I have to write, since if I didn't
hold a pen between my fingers, where
else
would I put it...

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

i have given up on creating
i am only always horrible
now i just watch football
for it is less grating

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

Vandel_Viaclovsky said:i have given up on creating
i am only always horrible
now i just watch football
for it is less grating

Now you're about to stir the Anger of Ahavati. We don't ever want to stir the Anger of Ahavati...

WillowsWhimsies
Dangerous Mind
United States 16awards
Joined 8th Mar 2016
Forum Posts: 248

I don't know that I create at all, really.  I just release what's locked inside.  If I didn't it wouldn't be pretty.  But does that make it creation?

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

For myself it is how I center.
Very much in the way meditation works.
I'll use music in the same manner- listening or creating.
Even walks among nature or city life, have the same effect.

What is currently gnawing at the inner-core will sometimes rise to the surface, giving me a chance to inspect it.
Other times it is simply a balm for it.

Then there are the creations that are simply "going through the motions"
Because you know how.
It can be a game for battles against tedium.

Many (mini) short Writes are an equivalent to cross-word puzzles.
A stimulator for the mind .

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

urge, because there is an urge that hates when I say NO...
sometimes for no reason at all
sometimes as a response
sometimes as a test to my limits
sometimes as a necessity

Page:
Go to: