Go to page:

When to stop spanking?

SychophanticSlag
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2011
Forum Posts: 1958

When is it unacceptable to spank your children?
If it is at all to you?

Me, I'm fourteen and my dad threatens me daily.
(This isn't a cry for help or whatever you may think.)
So yeah, I think it's wrong.
If you have to turn to spanking your child you really shouldn't be a parent and should have raised them better...are my thoughts.
Me, btw, I'm not a bad kid. My dad is just bleh.

Jestalessa
Dangerous Mind
Scotland 35awards
Joined 27th July 2010
Forum Posts: 2329

i'm not going to pipe in on whether spanking is wrong or not, because that subject alone is its own debate topic.

assuming one believes it's acceptable to hit any child, i think it should stop significantly before they hit puberty. otherwise it feels plain inappropriate. in my humble opinion.

Darkbee
DB
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 29th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 965

When it stops becoming an effective deterrent.

poet Anonymous

I believe its okay to spanked up until 18...if you act like a child in your teens...you deserve to be spanked!

MythsComeAlive
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 25th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 201

I believe that hitting, in any form, is never right to do to anyone, but especially not a parent to their child. One, it teaches that violence solves problem. Two, it deters without giving an alternative. Three, it teaches the child to fear the parent, an emotion that hinders a real, solid relationship. You never hit a child- they will never do anything so wrong that it's required. Unless they attack you, and you are defending yourself, any contact with a child should be in a nonviolent- and nonsexual, just sayin'- way.

poet Anonymous

In some circumstances, I believe it's ok. But if you're a parent willing to do this, you must have total control of how often you use this solution.

666gothchick
Paulina Dionne
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 7awards
Joined 9th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 1141

never too young and never too old....

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

I don't think anyone should be spanking you, Carla. You're a sensitive, intelligent person - why can't your dad talk to you instead?

opheliac
Dangerous Mind
9awards
Joined 29th Aug 2009
Forum Posts: 2122

You mentioned he threatens you daily but has he ever spanked you as hard as he says? Because saying and doing are two completely different things.
I should add that im not taking your part or your fathers i merely want to know if he hit you or not.

SychophanticSlag
Dangerous Mind
United States 5awards
Joined 24th May 2011
Forum Posts: 1958

[quote]opheliac said:
You mentioned he threatens you daily but has he ever spanked you as hard as he says? Because saying and doing are two completely different things.
I should add that im not taking your part or your fathers i merely want to know if he hit you or not.

He hasn't actually done it in years.
But I find the psychological damage from the threats to be ten times worse than actually getting hit.
My dad isn't a bad person though, it's just how he was raised.

rayheinrich
Death Plane for Teddy
Tyrant of Words
Canada 32awards
Joined 4th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 4409

[font=Courier New][size=2]
 I'm against negative re-enforcement because it produces results that are much
 too specific. Positive re-enforcement allows the brain to generalize and use
 the training in a broader range of situations. Mostly it's because the brain
 functions more creatively when it is not in a state of fear.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Six-Out
Jon Rodgers
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 9th June 2011
Forum Posts: 251

I get tired of people saying you should never spank a child, it does nothing. I mean, I was spanked when I was a kid. And guess what? When I got spanked, I stopped being an ass. Cause I didn't want to get spanked again.

That's how life is, you do something until something deters you from doing it. The whole timeout thing is lost on me, I see absolutely no point in it other than I wish it were around when I was a kid, because I'd have had a lot more fun, without worrying about getting spanked for the fun I was having.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
LunaObscura
Utmakalitho Petragammata
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 2nd June 2011
Forum Posts: 655

spank until they try to spank back. ...then send them to a montessori school

Go to page:
Go to: