Go to page:

What does "harder side of poetry" mean?

blue_angel
Fire of Insight
United States 10awards
Joined 15th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 173

The Harder Side of Poetry subtitle... is an extended explanation that appeals to the writers, and readers that desire raw, unfiltered, undiluted, unabashed works of art, or spiels, as they may be. It's just saying, "Hey it's okay to spill your poetic guts here." There are poetry sites/platforms/communities that don't allow extreme content.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

SatInUGal said:

This really gets at why I posted this discussion, because I feel that a lot of people agree with you, but my contention is... cocks and nipples are also soft. So is living tissue and a vulnerable mind. DU, from what I've seen, has a very exposed underbelly and that is a massively good thing in my opinion, so I was kind of taken aback by the one-sided descriptor.

Maybe you've focused on the "cocks and nipples" and missed the point of what I was saying, that is [insert pretentious statement here]... everything in life requires balance to exist and coexist.  Perhaps when we've discovered DU we've been attracted to the "harder side", we all have a voice and want to be heard, but then we read and write, meet some like minded people, we expose our vulnerabilities, and from the inspiration and expression, we discover that we're not as hard as we once thought.

The answer to your question is found in the legend of the WebMistress.  She is after all the biological mother to the so called Deep Underground...  A hundred years ago, back in the Neo-Gothic Age, the WebMistress was a young girl living on the streets London.  She was a poor homeless orphan who wore an eye patch, sniffing molten silver solder to get high, making money from collecting aluminium beer cans and fixing broken Atari and Commodore game consoles with her soldering iron.  She was frequently beaten to death [playing pac-man and asteroid] by gangs of nerds and geeks that loitered around pinball allies.

One day whilst sleeping in the gutter, she was captured by a dark lord of the cyber world, the one they called Sir William Hellgates.  The dark lord took her back to his factory, washed and fed her, he read her poetry and taught her to speak binary code and dos.  Soon, under the guidance of her master, the WebMistress became the most feared hacker, programmer and web designer on the Internet, and more powerful than her master could ever imagined.

Inevitably, Sir Bill Hellgates fell in love with the young WebMistress... but she refused to be a shackled slave to a sociopath, for her one true passion in life was poetry... closely followed binary code... so she fled from her master and left the country to a place deep underground.  Hellgates was furious when he heard of her escape, but knew he was no match for his apprentice, so he put a bounty on her head so big that she would never be able to show her face on the internet again... except for the one eyeball she wore under her patch.  

Since that day the WebMistress has lived in exile, with her only contact to the outside world through the website she created called Deep Underground.

So you see, the WebMistress once lived a HARD life full of darkness, goofy sex and virtual violence.  When she started the website she was a young women, the world was a darker place and the people around her believed poetry was for pussies, when the reality was the opposite, the poets from the Neo-Gothic Age were hard motherfuckers trying to survive in a world that didn't understand.

SatanUGal is an interesting choice for a pen name.  Perhaps the harder side of poetry rekindled the younger darker poet within.

DaddyDotDom
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 3

This is poetry without boundaries. You won't see these on KidInk Lol

Moon_Witch
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 29th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 8

I agree with ur comment 100%
Some ppl just don't get poetry that isn't flowery or godly. I was on a site where the majority of poems were religious, about God and saying Amen to one thing or another. Thsts all good. Everyone's entitled but after so many being shoved down my throat I started to gag and had to go. The thing is, is that if u wrote anything opposing u'd be verbally slaughtered. It was ridiculous! My poems are definitely controversial & I'm hoping I've found a more accepting crowd here. :-}
Looking forward to posting, getting ur feedback as well as reading and giving feedback to u.

poet Anonymous

... fkn hell Case, have you been sniffing the bog cleaner again?

I think the harder side of poetry means people who choose to think, rather than just read and accept what is. Thinkers and readers are generally different mindsets.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Miss_Sub said:... fkn hell Case, have you been sniffing the bog cleaner again?

Are you suggesting that the legend of the WebMistress is a load of shit or that the shape of my head resembles a toilet pan, implying you'd like to sit on my face?

poet Anonymous

I could just toy with you and say at least one of those facts is correct.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6693

Any evidence pertaining to the Webmistresses would be highly appreciated. Though concoctions and falsities, although entertaining would not warrant publication. Yet on that note, it must be just me but every picture and appearance I have seen of the Webmistress, hallowed be thy title, she has two eyes. However others only seem to see one.

DU is hard like a rubik's cube: it is edgy and frustrating at times but needs some brainpower to truly appreciate.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

It's poetry that makes men hard and the womenfolk squishy.

Dear Penthouse,

Thinking of myself with Heather
how sublimely erotic we are together
I got my cock stuck in a Coke bottle
and now I'm laid up in the ER

Whether for better or worse
I've fallen in love

Nurse Jean just brought me a jar of Vaseline
in her latex glove

She is very handy

Sincerely,

Randy in Wisconsin

whale
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 24awards
Joined 9th Dec 2013
Forum Posts: 233

SatInUGal said:

Cute

Poet took E
And left CUT

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

leaving DUP is one of the harder things I've
ever had to do. but i got a job in a new strange city and new strange friends to meet too so I took the job...
I promise I will write.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

What's wrong with you, poet?  The name wattpad sounds like it's made for vaginas.  Isn't one writing community enough to bolster our egos?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
FreyaJ
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 24th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 22

For meself the "Harder side of poetry" means absolutely nothing at all...is just a slogan

Hardest thing about poetry..finding you own voice, stand out from the all the mundane crap, to improve but not lose your edge
I been on a few sites, some naff some good, this place is no better or worse than most others...has a good mix of members with a good mix of styles

It lacks in helping members 'improve' their skills...I know many hate that word lol as if it some kinda insult or sell out...it isn't, far from it...it helps you to hopefully not only stand out, but think deeper into wot you actually trying to say...in a 'poetical' way

So maybe the 'Harder side of poetry" is the realisation any idiot can write a few sentences...but a poem it does not necessarily make ? And how to turn that rawness into somthing more refined ?

Go to page:
Go to: