Go to page:

Multiple Soul Mates?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

lot's of animals mate for life, elephants for example visit the graves of their loved ones every year and cry on the bones of their dead mate.

The idea of a soul mate may seem alien to those who haven't experienced such a thing. you've said yourself that you've not really been intimate with anyone, but I don't think that would exclude you from feeling a soul mate if he or she is in your perimeter.

I think that  the idea of a soul mate has become a bit skewered. I don't think they are exclusively love partners or monogamous in that your soulmate could be someone else' too, same way you could connect in a soulful way to any amount of people.

soul-mate: a person who you feel an intense connection with.      

poet Anonymous

Most animals can be and are emotional creatures. Elephants are a great example of this as are whales and dolphins(because just like humans they have spindle cells). In the documentary Blackfish its even stated that orcas may have a more complex way of processing emotions than humans, as some parts of their paralimbic cortex are better evolved. But all of that just proves that animals are smart and emotive. And sure some animals mate for life but I'm fairly certain that they do this because they've found a suitable mate not a soul mate.

The idea of soul mates is most certainly skewed, so much so that everyone has their own personal definition of what it is or isn't, to me a lot of it just seems to be semantics.

poet Anonymous

i read 'skewered' as skewed. apparently. :P

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

figured skewered was a bit more apt, deeper, in that it say what you said in your last two lines in one word. don't feel bad, I'm a tyrant of words, you'll get there :)'

and come now, with animals, finding soul mates is so much easier and less complicated. their souls aren't polluted with all the distractions and wants that plague us. when animals connect, they connect by feeling not by talking so of course their souls will connect  

poet Anonymous

So basically only animal un-plagued souls get into haven. I wonder if they hold as much belief in god as they do in soul mates.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

no, no that's not what I said at all. I said it makes souls easier to connect. animals and heaven. I've never read anything that would indicate that animals inhabit heaven, but then, there's no scripture I can think of that gives much by way of what it looks like inside the pearly gates.

I saw a quote some time ago where a native of Alaska was given a bible by the missionary he said " if I did not know about god would I still have gotten to  heaven "
the missionary chap said yes       ..how true that is I don't know, but it does make some sense

poet Anonymous

I guess I was just thinking out loud my random associations with beliefs in general there. I got what you meant though, but is there really any differentiating between souls in general much less of animals and people, after all people are animals too, which begs the question...how accurate is it to assume that soul mates have to be of the same species?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011

I wouldn't say it was absurd, I mean it's not uncommon for dogs to have a deep connection with their owner, or somebody in a household, kid grows up with the dog, something like that. there was a guy in the paper recently said he found his soulmate in the form of an orca and subsequently had his way with her for some years.

I think it's about what level of consciousness we are rather than who we are or what we are      

poet Anonymous

I think I saw that same story, the man was diagnosed as having a new form of a monothematic delusion and his love interest is still going through therapy concerning her self image after being treated like an orca for several years.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

I remember something along the lines of Rene Descartes as not seeing animals as on the same levle as humans because animals have a lower conciousness, or sense or lack of rationalism and being subject to instinct.

I do not understand how you can say that soul mates are more apparent in nature; just because animals are together for years or decades does not necessarily mean they are soul mates. They may be together as they are incredibly superficial: the mate had better plumage than all other suitors, or it was simply around at the right time and 'will do' regardless of whether they actually like/love/ or have affection for each other.
Its a bit like saying that people who regularly carpool together or take the train/bus/taxi regularly are all in a massive orgy of adoration.

Having said that maybe one aspect of a soul mate is them being a friend on some level: so that they have familiarity. (Plus we all have an intrinsic connection: we are human, heres another: we all live on earth, though I think you might have meant intensive or deep connection rather than intrinsic. The connection is made and developed, it is not necessarily actually intrinsic and there from day 1, especially if the two live on opposites of the world and or do not know of each other.)

Plus it seems to get a little absurd when it is a case where there can be inter-species soul mates but not ones of the same species. Surely things that are similar and complex are more compatible in general, than dissimilar and complex to less complex. (Animals being less complex than humans in this case as animals lack the trappings of 'civilisation' though for now this makes them simply diffeent and an other rather than a less and worse than humans).

This post is aimed mostly at you Ooo at I saw some logical errors, and when I go down the rabbit-hole in following up I end up taking heavy mining machinery and digging dwarf-deep.

poet Anonymous

I didn't say they were more apparent in nature, i asked why they weren't so.  The idea being that if soul mates are an essential part of life, not just something people made up, the need for them would be visible in other species. Which in my opinion it isn't.  I think that love, compassion, attraction, etc. are all there and visible (in some species more than others) but I would never consider that to indicate or validate the existence of soul mates. Which in reality is probably just semantics.

To me your aspects of soul mates, such as: friendship, tuned in-ness, understanding, whatever else, seem like they could simply be aspects of relationships in general(with or without a soul mate)...I don't see the necessity in labeling them as something only a soul mate would/could provide.
(also 'intrinsic' was probably not the best word for what I was trying to convey)

Rather than reflecting my views on the subject of soul mates the inter-species question along with a few other questions were asked out of a simple indulgence in curiosity. My views on soul mates are still the same as when I first posted here...I can't say the same for my will to argue about them.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

I never stated that the aspects were only to do with soul mates, and only ever to be labelled with soul mates. Suffice to say that anything needed for basic relationships will be needed in 'advanced' relationships.
Perhaps stop saying what you think 'everything is connected to a label' and read what I have said. If you do not understand or follow it (my mind and writing is not always crystal clear) then ask rather than jump to assumptions.

The idea of soul mates in animals (creatures, non-humans) does not hold. We can only see the world from our position and judgement (so far). So any animal relationship cannot help be seen in human terms. In other words, magpies who are forever together may well have absolutely no feeling either way about each other, but we as humans would 'percieve' a relationship.

How can you talk about semantics of soul mates with such glibness, insincerity, shallowness, just after saying about love and compassion as those two latter things are concrete and material! Of course its blumming semantics, thats a poet and writer's bread and butter building blocks!
If love is little more than intimate and fondness for a person, then a soul mate is pretty much the same thing. The only difference being that love is more connected to the concept of sexual relationships than a soul-mate is.

And if you really want to split hairs you might as well ask what is a sibling, or parent, or friend, or family, as they are all based on relationships. So is a soul mate. Its just that a soul mate is someone close, a friend is not as close, and a lover is someone you would sleep with (stereotypically).

And if that tirade is not clear enough then god's help us all, bring on winter!

poet Anonymous

Viddax said:

The idea of soul mates in animals (creatures, non-humans) does not hold. We can only see the world from our position and judgement (so far). So any animal relationship cannot help be seen in human terms. In other words, magpies who are forever together may well have absolutely no feeling either way about each other, but we as humans would 'percieve' a relationship.

The idea of soul mates doesn't hold for any animals(humans included). The same way people can falsely perceive magpies as having a relationship they can also falsely perceive an actual relationship(or love) as being something more than what it is...which is how phrases such as 'advanced relationship' and 'soul mate' come into existence.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009

Ooo said:[quote-294117-Viddax]

The idea of soul mates doesn't hold for any animals(humans included). The same way people can falsely perceive magpies as having a relationship they can also falsely perceive an actual relationship(or love) as being something more than what it is...which is how phrases such as 'advanced relationship' and 'soul mate' come into existence.
[/quote]

So the moral of the story that you are saying is that the world is a cold unfeeling uncompassionate one, where we should only percieve the world in terms of empirical facts devoid of any personality and utterly crush anything that pertains to fiction or anyone but our own empty version of reality??

Just because you do not wear rose-tinted glasses or have any joy and feeling in your heart is no reason to deny it to others, or deny the views of others on it. Though I am not quite saying the world is one big bag funhouse of love and stuff, its not quite that.

Nevermind that a 'relationship' if getting technical with the classification hat is not a concrete set of values. And nevermind what on earth is beyond love "(or love) as being something more than what it is", the mind boggles.

My bark and bite await your reply. My laughter and love also wait, and can welcome others if needed.

poet Anonymous

The world is indeed cold, unfeeling and uncompassionate(at least for the most part). If it weren't so, the need for poetry/art would be greatly diminished. That being said, fiction, imagination and personality are all necessary parts of life and should not be crushed and can thrive in spite of the indifference/uncompassion of the world(as can unnecessary ideas such as soul mates, apparently.)

Although I don't believe in soul mates I can see why some people choose to and I certainly wouldn't want to "deny the views of others"...if it helps maintain your belief in soul mates I can even pretend to agree with you on their existence. Or you could just imagine that I did.

Feel free to bark and bite now, but do refrain from laughter and love...it annoys my joyless unfeeling heart.

Go to page:
Go to: