Go to page:

Multiple Soul Mates?

poet Anonymous

That explains me then. I have yet to stay in a consistent relationship.

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16070

BrokenPoet18 said:That explains me then. I have yet to stay in a consistent relationship.
I believe love will come to you, not bang! and its there....but a dawning.  One person with love to give will find a kindred soul. And if its you...so be it.

MarcosLucas
Black12 of Hearts
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 2

I personally don't believe in a single person being the prefect mate, we chose who we wish to be with. Still it's up to the person if they think they are growing with the person they have chosen. If no growth is happening or one becomes worse, then an end to the relationship is recommended.

Gemini
Geminitalian
Fire of Insight
United States 9awards
Joined 28th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 1378

I can write multiple chapters on this topic but I haven't got the time so I'll have to return. For now I will just leave the simple answer of: yes.

Poeticzview
AKingzCrown
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 5th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 3

I think sometimes we put so much pressure into finding that one person, worrying, thinking if this person is the one...I think love has changed so much over time that we couldn't or don't want to see that one person anymore, people are so caught up in life that we've devalued that idea of the one, we pick what we want when we want labeling the wrong people constantly because it's no longer free will or two people searching for one another it's just time, convenience and selfishness. Overall I still think the one does exist just much harder to find.

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1122

Wow. Sometimes I think I'm a romantic, and then I read a thread like this and realize I can be painfully practical....

I do believe that some people have immediate, emotionally intimate connections with each other. That is a wonderful thing when it happens, but I prefer the term "kindred spirit" to soul mate. Soul mate sounds so exclusive and FINAL to me. As I get older, I realize that life is constantly changing, and will continue to do so until the day I die. The thought of ONE person meeting all my needs for the rest of my life just seems ridiculously unlikely, and maybe even a little boring. A person who seems like my "soulmate" at one time might not continue to be so after we've both weathered some storms. People change, and not always in the same direction.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't believe committed relationships. When it's time to choose a mate for life, choose wisely - someone that you love and enjoy and share values with (awesome sex is great too!) - but the pressure of that one person being your everything for life is ridiculous. Committed relationships take damn hard work and compromise, and acceptance that nobody can be everything for another person. Those people who are married happily for decades? They have many connections with other humans outside of their marriage, and that allows them to be fulfilled and happy people who can maintain the commitment they made to stick with their spouse. They aren't (necessarily) together for their whole life because they've found their soul mate - they're together because they realize that a marriage is only one of the important relationships in their life.

I am married to someone that I love and admire and have fun with (when life allows us the time) and have frickin amazing sex with. I also have other friends who I consider kindred spirits, that feed my need for deep conversation and emotional sharing in a way that my husband doesn't have the patience for. And it's ok. Yes, there is self-control involved sometimes to keep things from passing into territory that I've committed to my husband. I can deal with that because I'm a grown-up. Our relationship is solid.

So, I guess I don't believe in soulmates, if that term means ONE person who fulfills ALL your needs FOREVER.  I don't want the pressure of being that for anyone else, personally! But kindred spirits, whose souls connect with yours on a deeper level - absolutely. If you're fortunate enough to find one of those people at a convenient time in your life for "mating", then congrats - otherwise, just make a really good choice of mate, one who is realistic about the fact that you will also have other important people in your life to help feed your soul, and then stick to your commitments (unless things become abusive or toxic, of course).

You can always do like me and spill the angst of having an inaccessible "soulmate" in your poetry. And then go about your grown-up business. Life ain't perfect.  ;)

lena8expressions
lenaexpressions
Lost Thinker
Greece
Joined 27th July 2017
Forum Posts: 6

Just like Gemini, I can write pages on this topic. My answer is also, yes.  This is such a touchy topic for me and for now I will post one of my favorite quotes below. I'm sure a lot of you can relate as well.

"What a sad thought it is, that some of us will surrender and settle down long before we've met the person we are supposed to love."
-Beau Taplin

poet Anonymous

I personally feel that the idea of a soulmate is more of a wishful thinking than anything else.  Perhaps at some point we connect for an instant or moments...with another with the same ideology, dreams, energy and the excitement of feeling needed and wanted but time is dynamic as we are.. just as needs and wants are.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I think it's a personal preference.  We've all had times, I imagine, when there is that one person who makes us feel so special and good about ourselves (on the most part it is self serving and the cracks eventually start to show, along with true colours) many persevere so much in the name of love and because they are led to believe it's the done thing.

Invest in what makes you happy, when it turns cold, let it go.  I don't think you have to be lovers to be "soulmates"  There are people who I connect with on many levels, we are in sync with each other and enjoy each others company, which is positive times with no crossed words.  They are my soulmates (male and female)

You cannot force, good feeling, happiness, attraction, togetherness, love.   If you have to, then it's a sham, just like a lot of things in humanity.  

Go to page:
Go to: