Go to page:

Multiple Soul Mates?

KittyFromHell
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 31st May 2013
Forum Posts: 654

My older sister once said this to me in regard to relationships, and it stuck with me. I have to say, I agree with her.

"I don't even think that's the way it's supposed to be. I think trying to be with one person forever is unrealistic, idealistic, unnecessary, and damaging to relationships and to people's happiness. I used to NEED that--the idea of "the one", but now I believe in having several different soul mates. You learn and grow from each relationship, and once there is no more growth, you move on."

Thoughts, anyone?

SirCreepy
Colten Sorrells
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 13th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 375

Makes sense to me. Then again, my idea of "long-term" is just a little over a month (I get bored easily)

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16073

I wonder too. But I was once told by someone who claimed to have lived past lifes that a soulmate is just that; a single soul. Throughout one's many life circle the soulmates will have a chance to meet...to marry each other or not depending on the circumstances. Grand love stories are usually between soulmates.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Maybe I'm old and bitter and been in and out of love far too many times, but I think the whole concept of having a "soulmate" or finding "the one" is seriously flawed. This whole romantic delusion puts unrealistic expectations on relationships, because life is tough and people change and if you're in some delusional fantasy world of romance, you won't cope with life's challenges and your love won't adapt to change. We need to get back to reality, that love is a chemical reaction in our brains, it makes us feel good and when we share love with someone it feels even better.

I've been doing some reading on monogamy, it turns out that our poet friend Cameron, the polygamist, ain't the minority I made him out to be, and monogamy is a fairly new custom introduced by western culture.

So, perhaps the instinct to love many lovers isn't so unnatural after all... but most humans don't like being alone for long, so until we're ready to give love a fucking good shot, we should get the whore out of our systems.  

HHMCameron
BetaWolfinVA
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 315

Lol, "speak of the devil"... (*failed* polygamist... "share", "don't share", fine... never "humor")

I will say that soul mates are sometimes not your perfect match... (Just the one that you must have in your life and keep trying with even when simple communication is prohibited by a current partner)  and trying to keep them in your life (even peripherally, distantly) can have disastrous consequences for all concerned.  It is sometimes impossible to serve multiple masters (or rather mistresses)

I am uncertain about whether I myself have multiple soulmates (only having found one) but it is theoretically possible. Not looking for more :shudder: (one roller coaster is deadly enough)

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16073

Although I am strictly for monogamous relationships I find the concept of polygamy interesting. Muslims in my country are allowed up to four wives but the criteria is very strict. You must be able to support all wives equally financially, emotionally and physically. The agreement of the wives to share a husband must be acquired in writing too.
That being said what are the chances of meeting and marrying a soulmate then?

poet Anonymous

KittyFromHell said:My older sister once said this to me in regard to relationships, and it stuck with me. I have to say, I agree with her.

"I don't even think that's the way it's supposed to be. I think trying to be with one person forever is unrealistic, idealistic, unnecessary, and damaging to relationships and to people's happiness. I used to NEED that--the idea of "the one", but now I believe in having several different soul mates. You learn and grow from each relationship, and once there is no more growth, you move on."

Thoughts, anyone?

"unrealistic"? Nope. May be uncommon, but there are cases of relationships which last until one partner dies. My heart is capable of feeling emotional attachment and appreciation for many, but the one I married I will be forever involved with until he or I dies. My parents were together until death, and it lasted over forty years. Hubby and I are very close to accumulating the same amount of time spent in our relationship together.

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 628

KittyFromHell said:My older sister once said this to me in regard to relationships, and it stuck with me. I have to say, I agree with her.

Thoughts, anyone?

This is what sluts say to make them selves feel better lol

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Cameron, I say this with utmost respect, but the fact you've labeled one of your wives as your "soulmate", [Raven... I believe I've been paying attention], don't you think this has made it harder to let this woman go?

If you took the sex out of the equation and just treated this person as a good friend, someone you mentally and spiritually connected with or shared a lot in common, couldn't love and life be less complicated? [I'm not taking a shot a polygamy, I'm questioning the concept of a soulmate.]

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014

prity shur hmc cameron has been flogging this horse for some time now ??

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014

Fuck me here we go again

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Waterviolet said:Fuck me here we go again

I kind get this feeling I just unleashed something that should never be let loose... would multiple choice or true or false been a better option?

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014

As long as everyone has an opinyon there is no rite or rong
Answer so i am gona go with (c) fasl

Waterviolet
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 14th Mar 2014

Thoughts, anyone?

You are kinda sounding like a vampire here taking everything from a relationship then moving on. I think a to make it work u need certain things love trust respect
If u start to loose one of theese elements then u are in trouble it takes work to keep these things up and running alot of work thats y i think there is so mutch diverce now a days because people are lazy and not willing to work for love

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I believe it's just a another word to express how you feel about someone.  It was first recorded back in 1822 'apparently' by the poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, in a letter, but the idea goes back to  Plato’s Symposium, written in 385–380 BCE.

I've not been in an actual physical relationship in eight years or allowed a man into my physical life, out of choice and I have come to understand it is not a need but it is still something I want when I am ready mentally.  Whether that will be one relationship with all the weight it brings or just casual relationships, I don't know.  It would be great if I could find a soul-mate who could love me right instead of trying to slowly kill me.

Go to page:
Go to: