Etymology

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010
Forum Posts: 748

diploma

Comes from the Greek verb, diplono, which means 'to fold'. A diploma was originally a document which was folded.

cyber, cybernetics

From Greek kuverno, meaning 'to steer'. The Romans turned the 'k' into a 'g' and the 'v' onto a 'b' to produce the Latin word, gubernator, meaning a helmsman. It also produced the word, 'governor', a person who 'steers' the state.

salary

Money paid to Roman soldiers as an allowance to buy salt. The Latin for salt is sal.

opheliac
Dangerous Mind
9awards
Joined 29th Aug 2009
Forum Posts: 2122

Etymology

Derives from the Greek word ἐτυμολογία, etymologia, itself from ἔτυμον, etymon, meaning "true sense" and the suffix -logia, denotes "the study of"
Etymology also refers  to the source word of a given word.

jaspersilence
Fire of Insight
United States 7awards
Joined 12th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 708

I heard tattoo came from the sound of how the tribes marked their skin.They had a pointed stick and another to strike down upon it which made a "tat too" kind of sound????

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

jaspersilence said:I heard tattoo came from the sound of how the tribes marked their skin.They had a pointed stick and another to strike down upon it which made a "tat too" kind of sound????

The Oxford English Dictionary gives the etymology of tattoo as, "In 18th c. tattaow, tattow. From Polynesian tatau. In Tahitian, tatu." The word tatau was introduced as a loan word into English; its pronunciation was changed to conform to English phonology as "tattoo".[1] Sailors on later voyages both introduced the word and reintroduced the concept of tattooing to Europe.[2]
The first written reference to the word, "tattoo" (or Samoan "Tatau") appears in the journal of Joseph Banks (24 February 1743 – 19 June 1820), the naturalist aboard Captain Cook's ship the HMS Endeavour: "I shall now mention the way they mark themselves indelibly, each of them is so marked by their humor or disposition".
The word "tattoo" was brought to Europe by the explorer James Cook, when he returned in 1771 from his first voyage to Tahiti and New Zealand. In his narrative of the voyage, he refers to an operation called "tattaw". Before this it had been described as scarring, painting, or staining.[3]

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

"shit"
Ship.High.In.Transit

This was stamped upon boxes hauling manure.
The reasoning this came about, was ships were hauling mass amounts up and down the waterways, keeping them stored below deck...
As You may have surmised...on hot days and moisture climate....pockets of methane gas would build and boats would explode.
Of which people I cant quite recall....but their ships were blowing up at an alarming rate till someone figured out this need for ventilation and stamp.  

scarletvelvet
Fire of Insight
United States 8awards
Joined 5th May 2011
Forum Posts: 21

I love all things etymology..... ♡♡♡

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010

stirrup

from Old English 'stig' (climb) + 'rap' (rope). So, a 'stigrap' (stirrup) was a rope that enabled you to climb onto a horse.

Madintellect
Mike stew
Fire of Insight
Canada 4awards
Joined 29th Mar 2014
Forum Posts: 232

Selfcomplexity said:Hahaha I love this odd amusement especially the comments

odd? You mean highly intelligant right? Your odd buddy, i love it. Always will, hahaha well at least now i know im not alone dope discussion!

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

Money...

mid-13c., "coinage, metal currency," from Old French monoie "money, coin, currency; change" (Modern French monnaie), from Latin moneta "place for coining money, mint; coined money, money, coinage," from Moneta, a title or surname of the Roman goddess Juno, in or near whose temple money was coined; perhaps from monere "advise, warn" (see monitor (n.)), with the sense of "admonishing goddess," which is sensible, but the etymology is difficult. Extended early 19c. to include paper money

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012

poetry...

late 14c., "poetry; a poem; ancient literature; poetical works, fables, or tales," from Old French poetrie (13c.), and perhaps directly from Medieval Latin poetria (c.650), from Latin poeta (see poet). In classical Latin, poetria meant "poetess."
... I decided not to tell lies in verse. Not to feign any emotion that I did not feel; not to pretend to believe in optimism or pessimism, or unreversible progress; not to say anything because it was popular, or generally accepted, or fashionable in intellectual circles, unless I myself believed it; and not to believe easily. [Robinson Jeffers (1887-1962), forward to "Selected Poems"]

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

Magdalena and all poets participating in this thread, just wanted to tell you I'm enjoying the read  👍

poet Anonymous

Whiskey

(noun): a spirit distilled from malted grain, especially barley or rye

Whiskey is the shortened form of whiskeybae, which comes from the Old English "usquebae," derived from two Gaelic words: uisce (water) and bethu (life). Thus, whiskey literally means "water of life."

Phony

(adjective): not genuine, fraudulent

Back in old days, pirates used to sell "fawney," basically British slang for fake gold rings. Anything can happen when you add a pirate accent.

Clue

(noun): a fact or idea that serves as a guide or aid in a task or problem

According to Greek mythology, when Theseus entered the Labyrinth to kill the minotaur (a half-man, half-bull), he unraveled a "clew" - a ball of string - behind him, so he could find his way back.

The word "clue" didn't even exist until the mid-1500s when people started to vary the spelling of "clew."

Astyanax
Ceejay
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 23rd Feb 2010

Poem

Going even further back, the word 'poem' comes from the Ancient Greek 'ποίημα', ('pee-eema') which itself derives from the verb 'ποείν', ('po-een')  meaning 'to make'. In other words, the distinctive feature of  a 'poem' was that it was something deliberately created, not an accidental pattern of speech or writing.

Bigamy

This word comes from the prefix 'bi', meaning 'two' (as in 'bicycle'), and the Greek word 'γάμος' ('gammos') meaning 'a wedding'.

Go to page:
Go to: