by a relatively safe SSRi while others might require
electroconvulsive treatment.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012
Forum Posts: 496

quote "The idea that brain chemicals cause mental illness is first and foremost a hypothesis.  It is not a theory or scientific law by any stretch of the imagination. " "Most researchers now believe depression is not caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain."
"The hypothetical disturbances of neurochemical function that are said to underlie "mental illness" are just that: hypothetical.  No experiment has ever show that anyone has an "imbalance" of any neurotransmitters or any other brain chemicals."

the second part, i don't get your point because only people that act differently is considered mentally ill or those that visit a psychiatrist for help so if they act normally and is in a mental state of depression they wouldn't be considered mentally ill.

raorrick
Rachel O.
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 17th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 1590

freddwzz said:http://www.cchr.org/quick-facts/introduction.html

quote "Psychiatric disorders are not medical diseases. There are no lab tests, brain scans, X-rays or chemical imbalance tests that can verify any mental disorder is a physical condition. "

Mental illness is just another society stigma that is labeled on people that don't act like the majority.

2004 Brain scan helps diagnose bipolar disorder:
http://www.health.am/psy/more/brain_scan_helps_diagnose_bipolar_disorder_study/

The technology hasn't been perfected. The brain is complicated. That doesn't mean the disorders do not exist because you can't see it. Since the beginning of time, scientist have discovered things that you can't see by learning how to see them.

I do believe that they are overly diagnosed. No question about that.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012

@Rachel, a change in the chemical distribution in the brain doesn't means its a disorder [aforementioned] in my post.

raorrick
Rachel O.
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 17th Nov 2011

freddwzz said:@Rachel, a change in the chemical distribution in the brain doesn't means its a disorder [aforementioned] in my post.

A medical disorder is an abnormal condition affecting the body [brain]. It is often construed to be a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs. How does a chemical imbalance not apply to this?

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012

@rachel this is going in circle lol

"Appearing in CCHR's video is Dr. Julian Whitaker, author and founder of the highly respected Whitaker Wellness Center in California, who says that psychiatry is a pseudoscience. "There's no pathology. There's no blood test. There's no lab test. There's no x-ray. Psychiatrists list out and vote on clusters of behavior and call them a disease. They are giving drugs to millions of people who do not have a defined medical problem.""

"There's no biological imbalance. When people come to me and they say, 'I have a biochemical imbalance,' I say, 'Show me your lab tests.' There are no lab tests. So what's the biochemical imbalance?" -Ron Leifer a pyschiatrist

Whitewand6
Dangerous Mind
India 16awards
Joined 1st Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 2251

h i d d e n.

rayheinrich
Death Plane for Teddy
Tyrant of Words
Canada 32awards
Joined 4th Dec 2009
Forum Posts: 4409

Gee, judging that is easy for me. I look in my med box:
 If I've taken mine, they're crazy; if not, they're not.

P.S. I like fieryangelsouljia's "quality of logical connections"
technique. This works pretty well. Of course, if you stick to the
results of this technique you'll be classifying 'religion' as
mental illness. Just sayin'...

P.P.S. Rachel... is right, freddwzz is deluded (not delusional,
just deluded). There are very real scientific tests that can
diagnose some forms of mental illness. In the future there will
be many more. But yes, the current ambiguities encourage abuse
of diagnoses for political, cultural, and commer$ial reasons
(e.g. diagnosing homosexuality as a mental disease and
everything as depression).  

P.P.P.S. Though if 'they' start slipping notes like this under
your door, you should probably seek help:

http://wordbiscuit.com/images/thought_disorder.jpg

Image from Frontier Psychiatrist:  http://frontierpsychiatrist.co.uk/
(nice blog BTW)

P.P.P.P.S. For those who read the whole note:
Doesn't sound that crazy, does it?

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012

@Ray

how am i deluded, i do agree that there are cells degradation and that can be classified as "mental illness" but what other mental illness did scientific test concluded?

by the way I came to my own conclusion for this psuedoscience, and only today after this thread i googled for some "science fact" to back up my own conclusion.

So I guess I'm delusional by your standards.

Danii
Tyrant of Words
United States 5awards
Joined 27th Oct 2011
Forum Posts: 5152

Some people put on a front, to appear mentally abnormal. Honestly, I don't believe in mental disorders. Insanity maybe. But we all think and react to things differently. Just like mentally retarded people, they might seem slow, but how do you know they aren't trapped in their mind unable to say what they mean? They might have normal thoughts, but their body wont let them act normal.

Sublime
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 30th May 2012
Forum Posts: 481

firedaughter said:insanity IS geniuse..... in my opinin.. unless they are like psycho nutjobs that try to replicate your DNA and make a clone of you!.............(sorry... irrational fear #37 poked in bit there)

I don't think insanity is genius. My uncle is insane (literally insane) and he sees himself as a 6'7" guy with superstrength. He wanted to move to south Dakota because "that's where the strong men live". He has a breakdown if he finds out his clothes are from TJ Maxx and he believes that his "enemies" stole his aura and he has to get it back.
He also writes threatening letters to the government. And he's accused his brother of trying to poison him by leaving him in the car for too long, feeding him too much Chinese food, and putting too much salt on it. He then tells his brother that he should be killed.
Just some stories there. Some people who haven't experienced those close to them be in such a bad mental state they see insanity as some glamorous level of intelligence that stable people don't understand, and that's not really how it is. Most cases are awful. My uncle has wanted to kill his whole family.
Sorry, Kristany, if you HAVE had a relative or friend go insane and you still think it's "genius", but I agree with Carla. It's not the way it looks in books and movies, it's a horribly unstable mental state that shouldn't be glorified.

raorrick
Rachel O.
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 17th Nov 2011

freddwzz said:@rachel this is going in circle lol

"Appearing in CCHR's video is Dr. Julian Whitaker, author and founder of the highly respected Whitaker Wellness Center in California, who says that psychiatry is a pseudoscience. "There's no pathology. There's no blood test. There's no lab test. There's no x-ray. Psychiatrists list out and vote on clusters of behavior and call them a disease. They are giving drugs to millions of people who do not have a defined medical problem.""

"There's no biological imbalance. When people come to me and they say, 'I have a biochemical imbalance,' I say, 'Show me your lab tests.' There are no lab tests. So what's the biochemical imbalance?" -Ron Leifer a pyschiatrist

At the risk of going in circles again, here is the link that shows they proved a chemical imbalance in people who suffer from Bi-Polar disorder.

2004 Brain scan helps diagnose bipolar disorder:
http://www.health.am/psy/more/brain_scan_helps_diagnose_bipolar_disorder_study/

I am not in 100% disagreement with you. I see and understand your point. I just think that you are being very closed minded to mental disorders. If it can't be diagnosed with hard core, black and white proof, then you think it doesn't exists.

In the 5th century, the atom was a theory. In the 19th century, they had the technology to prove it.

freddwzz
Naked Satirist
Fire of Insight
Singapore 6awards
Joined 5th May 2012

@Rachel I know that there are chemical changes, but it doesn't mean its a disorder and the result only shows the differences and not telling you what is the "balance"

Even if it comes in black and white view, it can still be argued that mental illness are still just a contrast of society norms but i wouldn't go to that point. I guess I'll remain agnostic then.

raorrick
Rachel O.
Dangerous Mind
United States 14awards
Joined 17th Nov 2011

Again:

A medical disorder is an abnormal condition affecting the body [brain]. It is often construed to be a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs. How does a chemical imbalance not apply to this?

My last words on the subject.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

Times change, people have an inherent love or urge to learn new things and figure things out.

Did you know that century's ago  when the popes librarian saw a drawing of Saturn he decreed that the rings were Jesus's foreskin.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/556455_3268857288861_1626336030_n.jpg

Go to page:
Go to: