Go to page:

When do you read DU poems?

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

I absolutely love DU.  Not only do I like contributing but I love reading the many submissions.  The depth of talent demonstrated here never fails to amaze me.

My reading ritual is simple.  It starts when I select 'Latest Poems' from my smartphone.  I do so when I find myself in a time void.  Like when I'm waiting in a cafe or similar place.   I've also been known to read a few poems while at work. 'Don't tell my employer.' 😜  I simply read the submissions in the order they were posted.

The beautiful thing about poetry is you can read many of these mini stories in a short time.   When I like a poem I try to comment on it.  Especially poetry written by new members to this site.  However, because I'm doing so from my phone and often on the run, my comments are often tainted with grammatical errors.  

I'm curious.  How often do you read poems posted in DU?  Do you, like me, have any peculiar reading habits?   Please share.

Nari
Laura Jean
Fire of Insight
Luxembourg 3awards
Joined 2nd July 2018
Forum Posts: 273

It's always nice to find like minded writers here that's the beauty of variety. Finicky usually only reads from poets being followed or already have on the reading list; usually. Thank goodness everyone is not as partial.

The current trend usually devotes a space to reading specifically with full focus, when nothing else is going; (dinner, wine, elevator music) although a silent partner as of lately marking my likes.

At times, it's a delicate balance between reading and writing.

Nice question

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

Because IRL i often run out of stuff to read in my domicile,
I go online.
I used to spend enormous amounts of hours on Facebook and LinkedIn and Wordpress
but now all that time is spent here and maybe a total of 60 minutes at the latter 3.  

Plus, there is GREAT variety here and so no pigeon holing  ;)

Lately, I've been sleeping about 21 hrs a week
and so You'll often see me here at all hours of the day and night.

I don't own a smartphone (on purpose) and so I am here
in the Deep only when home or at a coffee place using my laptop.

poet Anonymous

The random poem function is my friend. I have discovered so many people I wouldn’t have read otherwise this way.

I use DUP almost exclusively on my phone, so I read it almost anywhere. On the bus. In bed. In the bath. It’s always kinda there when I need poetry really.

Like you however, I also often scroll down the latest poems posted list. If a line catches me, then I’ll read it. Sometimes it’s pleasantly surprising.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Thanks Nari for your input.  

Speaking of new poets at DU, you're definitely am emerging talent.  I love word usage that has a neo noir ring.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

"21 hrs of sleep a week"

Insomnia is the curse of many a poet.  

Thanks for the comment, Tallen.  And take care.  Lack of sleep can catch up with you.  A little over two years ago I was hospitalized because of it.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Miss_Sub, thanks for the input.  The bus is a great DU reading place.  But considering what a klutz I am, no phone in the bathtubs for me. 😌

Nari
Laura Jean
Fire of Insight
Luxembourg 3awards
Joined 2nd July 2018

Thank you for the compliment. You are certainly not short stopping either; on my reading list twice with both writes profiling the romance-rise and fall in nature. See you in orbit!

Umm
Dangerous Mind
1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

when they're about me (kidding)

I tend to browse the latest poems list in the morning..before getting out of bed, & usually check it at least once a day 😊

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

Great way to start the morning.

SeaCat
Twisted Dreamer
England
Joined 18th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 12

Randomly.  But I've only recently become active on DeepUnderground, so I haven't formed a routine yet.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

We welcome you.

Nari
Laura Jean
Fire of Insight
Luxembourg 3awards
Joined 2nd July 2018

At the same time, the trend is changing somewhat for me. We've been in the habit of perusing competitions and sometimes a buzz word will catch my eye; stumbling over a poem that would have otherwise gone under my radar-as someone who doesn't normally read just randomly.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

deleted

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014

I find myself scanning the abstracts for something that catches my eye, like a child searching through gravel for a pretty rock.  There are many gems to found here, at DU. 💎

Go to page:
Go to: