Go to page:

Naming Your Poetry

Nari
Laura Jean
Fire of Insight
Luxembourg 3awards
Joined 2nd July 2018
Forum Posts: 273

How do you determine how to name it? We usually give everything a one word name; easier to remember.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
yelluw_always
Haley Quaquaversal
Fire of Insight
United States 5awards
Joined 24th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 141

sometimes i like to use it as a way to give a code to the whole idea of my poem, a way to crack the puzzle.

sometimes i feel contrary, and name it after the place or a nearby object i was in when the first idea came to me.

if its several of them contributing to a theme, then I make the title whimsical + straightforward.

its a mood thing. sometimes it seems people throw away titles, i work on them diligently as though as they are a part of the poem.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

emily dickenson didnt have no titles,
she figured they was a distraction and a spoiler of her poem.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

rabbitquest said:emily dickenson didnt have no titles,
she figured they was a distraction and a spoiler of her poem.

Yeps; Cummings didn't either.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5297

it all boils down to the author's choice/what works for them best.
sometimes the titles help the reader in 'getting' the poem as the poet intended, but again it's a big 'sometimes'.

personally i incorporate the title into the poem and begin my work from there as it does help me with the blending and dis-ambiguity side of things

titles can be of great assistance in getting the message through and yes not all poets use titles for same purpose i believe, they have their own reasons behind them.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2295

For me,
I try to incorporate the title as a part of the spill
not separate or giving the piece a nomenclature as an advertised tempting ort

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

I use a word or series of words that are the focul point of my poem.

I don't want my readers thinking they have to guess what I'm thinking, because I'm not smart enough to be a deep thinker.

lotuslover
Gypsy_Rose
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 3rd Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 100

Sometimes I pick something that has nothing to do with my poem, but it actually ties in, like a riddle. Other times it's blatantly obvious how I came up with the title. I'm also horrible about not sticking to one or two word titles, I like a complex title that leaves you scratching your head, makes you wonder wtf the author was thinking and draws in the reader. But, I could be wrong.

SumDude
Strange Creature
Joined 26th Aug 2018
Forum Posts: 9

I just put whatever feels right either before I start the poem or after its finished.

AspergerPoet56
Tyrant of Words
Scotland 30awards
Joined 4th Dec 2018
Forum Posts: 1878

My poems never tell me I have to force a title out I’m never happy with resulting title. Or themes they are restricting too

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

Some good tips on naming your poetry:

http://www.canuwrite.com/article_titles_poems.php

poet Anonymous

I never stick to one method of choosing a title. Whatever feels right, suits the mood or the theme, or idea that works and ties into that theme. If I keep it simple it seems best and sometimes I do like to make people think or give them a smile before they ever start to read it. If it draws in somehow the reader can then see the meaning clearly and concisely. I tend to write shorter lines so short titles keep it all tidy.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Pure poetry names itself without a poet's effort...

I listen to the poem , then title it accordingly...

Go to page:
Go to: