Page:

Article 13: To arrest Deep Underground Poetry in the EU?

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

Do I understand this correctly?

Article 13 will likely shut down all creative content on DUP unless it can be pre proven to be "clean" content.  

Let's not forget that art and poetry are copyright protected, meaning no one can upload poetic or artistic content without PROOF of ownership. How will you prove you have the right to upload and share your material!?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5601

Here’s a link that explains the article, because I had to look it up , since I’m not in the UK.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-article-13-article-11-european-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban

I think we’re already doing the basic premise of this , which is removal of copyright infringed writing , aka, plagiarism.

But there too , we have to find it amidst the thousands of poems here , then prove it. Not always an easy task.

I’m sure there’s more involved though in the article.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I can't afford to get arrested.
I'm a logging OUT

poet Anonymous

Article 13 is an EU law, not exclusive to the UK. Not that the English care, because we’ll be divorced from the EU soon... possibly, maybe, never  

*cough*I voted remain*cough*

If we aren’t knee-deep in recession and combing the bins for leftovers by the middle of next year, I’ll start worrying about the meme law. It’s not really high on my list of worries before mortgage escalation, free movement and whether the healthcare system will still be able to keep me alive.

God bless Brexit, and all who sink in her.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

MadameLavender said:Here’s a link that explains the article, because I had to look it up , since I’m not in the UK.

I think we’re already doing the basic premise of this , which is removal of copyright infringed writing , aka, plagiarism.

But there too , we have to find it amidst the thousands of poems here , then prove it. Not always an easy task.

I’m sure there’s more involved though in the article.

YouTubers have explained/claimed that all content not pre-proven to be legit must be blocked from all media (DUP, too)

Even original content can be disputed, aka official music videos. Infringement claims are broader than memes. They involve disputing creative similarities, too. Parody, anything that draws controversy or has non-pedigree, unproven content must be stripped or blocked from upload

It's the beginning of a cultural dark age.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

rabbitquest said:I can't afford to get arrested.
I'm a logging OUT

Arrest is a word with multiple connotations. A website cannot be put in handcuffs, but it can be ordered to block all non proven or disputable uploads, even of original poetry. Or have its services frozen in the EU.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

Miss_Sub said:Article 13 is an EU law, not exclusive to the UK. Not that the English care, because we’ll be divorced from the EU soon... possibly, maybe, never  

*cough*I voted remain*cough*

If we aren’t knee-deep in recession and combing the bins for leftovers by the middle of next year, I’ll start worrying about the meme law. It’s not really high on my list of worries before mortgage escalation, free movement and whether the healthcare system will still be able to keep me alive.

God bless Brexit, and all who sink in her.

It has already passed but the consequences will not be felt for about two years. So we should revisit the conversation then, assuming anything here is permitted to remain after that.

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

I usually read IPKat with reference to IP law ... here's a link http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2018/12/general-rules-on-direct-and-indirect.html which also contains links within it.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Keep calm and post poetry.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5297

JohnnyBlaze said:Keep calm and post poetry.
Aye aye captain!

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:Keep calm and post poetry.

Agreed! So does that mean you might post in my forum comp? Poetry could be part of the cure, right?

https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/competitions/read/10511/#435787

AnonymousBystander
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 28th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 226

Interested in your competition but time scale is very short (for me).  I have two ideas but it will take me a while to work them up.  If you don't see my contribution, please don't feel slighted.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018

AnonymousBystander said:Interested in your competition but time scale is very short (for me).  I have two ideas but it will take me a while to work them up.  If you don't see my contribution, please don't feel slighted.

That's a good reason to lengthen the comp. Thank you, thank you! :)

Page:
Go to: