Can anyone really be a poet?

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 926

Miss_Sub said:I think anything can be poetry

... but it takes talent to make that poetry become words.

Yes. This is it.

poet Anonymous

SatInUGal said:

Yes. This is it.

*curtsy*

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

For those amongst us who have crossed the mystical poetic sound barrier to being an established and we'll respected poetry master...
We feel compelled to offer helpful hints how we got there, so you too can experience fame/fortune.
The first rule is to be humble.
I am the first to freely admit,
I am not the best poet.
Not even close.  
There are ten, maybe 15
Poets on this site that can
Dance circles around me.

Here are some of my secrets for success.

I often start with a simple phrase, spontaneously comes to mind:

'hi diggity Slocum pants
salesman forget me not.

Barack Obama had the
Oolong yes of course'

Next pick one or two letters from each word:
I'd iggi umpa Sam
get men Barb
mad loes four.'

Add fill words,
correct Grammer
And that's it:

I'd marry Iggi
But Iggy likes

"Umpa lumpa" Sam

I'd go for
"Get men" Barb

But Barb Gives me
mad love x four.

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

indeed if you are in the poetry game to be rich and famous and to have all your peers tell you how brilliant you are ….well you're better off spending your time and energy elsewhere.

if you wish to purge yourself of the angst and the anger and frustrations that are built up inside you..then I would suggest taking up a martial art or some other form of physical exercise.

if your interest is simply to clear your mind/soul of troublesome thoughts and such...then you should write what you want and not spend a monkey's second fuck worrrying about what viaclovsky or anyone else thinks about it.

if you really truly desire to be great at the art of poetry...well then you will probably need to spend about 10 or 15 or 20 or 30 years working and grinding, reading  and reading and grinding and toiling away and being endlessly frustrated and getting up at 4 in the morning to write and failing and failing 2000 or 3000 times before you even begin to get "good" at it.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I had planned to close up shop
But then was approached and informed
My title of 'dangerous mined' is going to be upgraded to 'gnarly word smith'
So here I am.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Define “good” because I’ve read a few here who’s work rivals that of award winning poets yet they’re lauded as the standard of the contemporary form ...

Poetry, like any other creative industry, is lined with gate keepers and unless you know one willing to unlock the locks, your work remains underground

poet Anonymous

LobodeSanPedro said:Define “good” because I’ve read a few here who’s work rivals that of award winning poets yet they’re lauded as the standard of the contemporary form ...

Poetry, like any other creative industry, is lined with gate keepers and unless you know one willing to unlock the locks, your work remains underground

Well said 👏👏

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

well yes "good" is in the eye of the beholder of course, i was not implying that something has to be mainstream-successful to be good.
there certainly are good poets here on DUP but i am just guessing that those poets have spent a fair amount of time struggling and working on their craft and did not simply fart it out.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

Vandel_Viaclovsky said:well yes "good" is in the eye of the beholder of course, i was not implying that something has to be mainstream-successful to be good.
there certainly are good poets here on DUP but i am just guessing that those poets have spent a fair amount of time struggling and working on their craft and did not simply fart it out.

I agree whole-heartedly.  Even those with a natural propensity for writing ( and there are many ) need to hone how to construct poetry.  

Lane
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 4th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 6

I think like most poetry, and writing it has to have some kind of  cadence or meter.
rhyme. some people write with what they call "flow and anything they write works, and a pleasure to read.
me?  I write so choppy, some of the work almost is like one liners.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

Lane said:I think like most poetry, and writing it has to have some kind of  cadence or meter.
rhyme. some people write with what they call "flow and anything they write works, and a pleasure to read.
me?  I write so choppy, some of the work almost is like one liners.

True!
I love the poetry of Felix Dennis.  At a time when it seemed everyone tried writing in a Ginsberg free verse style, Felix rebelled against the norm of the day.  His poems tried to follow a cadence or meter.
His work was widely critized by the poetry gate keepers of his time for it's simplicity.
Yet, his work became wildly popular.  60 Minutes did a segment on Felix Dennis that is quite interesting.  I believe it's on YouTube.

snugglebuck
Dangerous Mind
United States 77awards
Joined 3rd Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 1873

LobodeSanPedro said:Define “good” because I’ve read a few here who’s work rivals that of award winning poets yet they’re lauded as the standard of the contemporary form ...

Words of wisdom. Indeed, poetry has it's share of Gatekeepers.  I live in the City of St. Paul Minnesota, where the poetry culture is quite active.  
But the Gatekeepers here can be quite snobbish.  

Lane
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 4th Mar 2011
Forum Posts: 6

cool, I`ll go take a look and see if I can find it on the tube.

found him, very cool performance, and He has been through
life, burnt up and built up. thanks for the info.  

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Vandel_Viaclovsky said:

if your interest is simply to clear your mind/soul of troublesome thoughts and such...then you should write what you want and not spend a monkey's second fuck worrrying about what viaclovsky or anyone else thinks about it.

On the most part this is me from when I first started writing and purging at the age of 18 and now, 37 years later.
I went through a phase in the middle where I wrote for competitions and such, got published in a few anthologies and put into the libraries of the UK, won $100 first prize in poetry writing comp.

Now I don't really give a toss whether I write or not, whether I'm read or not and so on. I do however love creating audio poetry, for that on the most part, I need to write, but I struggle to find it in me anymore.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1739

"Can anyone really be a poet?"
Can anyone really be a musician, a potter, a dancer, a chef ... ?
I'm sure the starting point is do your 10,000 hours - and then some more. It takes at least as long as a professional musician learning an instrument from scratch, and becoming good enough to be hired by an orchestra.
None of the above relates to 'becoming known' - that's a separate journey.

Go to page:
Go to: