Go to page:

How do you convey emotion in words?

DawnRaider
Dr
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 10th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 31

From my point of view; yes, all the time and then something happens, good or bad, something pisses me off or makes me smile and I write about how I feel. Write from your heart and you can't go far wrong my friend

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2252

I put everything
that I have inside
into the words
that I write
but the problem
becomes a bitch
when I try to fit words
into the meaning
of what I feel
and they have to fit
the words
that come after
the biggest bitch of all
is the feelings
that I have
that have meaning
but there are NO words
to convey the thoughts
that i'm feeling
so the only thing
I can do
is use
a poor substitute
words

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Nari
Laura Jean
Fire of Insight
Luxembourg 3awards
Joined 2nd July 2018
Forum Posts: 273

Offer a portal ie other wordly; escapism through story telling. People are generally on board with that kind of thing.

Karlasophia
Strange Creature
Joined 25th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 5

As a rule, everything is written on my face

blinkers55
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 26th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 4

love and happiness excluding all others

blocat
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2012
Forum Posts: 241

Write it anyway, no matter how bad you think it is then start to go over it a line at a time. Pick on the emotive words and ask: is there a better word? A word that expresses how I feel better than this word? For instance: Could I use the word rage instead of the word anger? Then, step back and ignore it for a day or so before taking another look. Even a genius like Ernest Hemmingway said his first draft of anything he wrote was shit.  
I'm not saying this is the right way for you, but it works for me. That's how I'd do it anyway. Good luck with it.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

A new born's coffin is so small and fragile...

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I like Blocat's answer and I'd expand on that a tiny bit more. Examine every word - actions, emotions, tenses. Can you say it with more emphasis, authenticity? Does everything flow? Say the poem out loud - how does it make you feel?

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

witing from the extremities of personal emotions are now second nature to me, I find it comes to the fore more and more and I have to deliberately change the mood in which I write. Somebody quite famous taught a very important lesson once. He said write something, anything, but, spend two hours writing every day, 7 days a week, despite mood. This I have practised since 2014. I would say about after six months of this you will start to write more organically and your mind will pick the subjects you write about, so much so that you will start to write a finished poem and where the hell that one came from

Go to page:
Go to: