Go to page:

Acceptable Free Speech and Expression

Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 228

Will start by saying i understand the problems associated with being a Mod here and i respect those who give their time and effort to help this site run smoothly.  Can't we all just get along?  Not always no.

i play nice here.  i am not abusive to anyone and i don't reply to an insult with an insult.  That being said, free speech is important to me, not just for me but everyone.  i prefer up front honest behavior, it beats insinuations and beating around the bush every time for me.  i may not like what is written, but i can have no demand to shut up a person who i feel upset me or insulted.  It's easy to get upset, it's easy to take offense if one is so inclined, but lets be clear, yes crystal clear about one thing.  i cannot hold another person responsible for my emotional reaction to their writing.  It's on me and me alone.  

When we start sanitizing speech we are heading down a slippery slope with no bottom in sight IMO and it matters not how good our intentions were in deciding to do that.

i have an affection for this site and wish that discussions and comments be civil, but to demand it, i will not do that or support such action.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

When I first joined DU I was an advocate of unfettered free speech and expression. over my years at DU and some heated debates I learned that it is not possible or desirable. I have found that many people play the free speech card usually after the have bullied or abused another member of the community as a way of trying to hide their original intent, probably realising that they were wrong to say what they said.

In this place of all places comparisons to Nazi Germany and communist Russia are not just over simplifications they are insulting to this community which is no more fascist than a pepperoni pizza. In fact like a pepperoni pizza we are all here to share.

Should I be allowed to write a poem called "I hate all niggers" should me as a community see bullying and abuse and just let it slide, should I be allowed to go out into the street and find a five year old child and scream obcenities at them. With free speech comes responsibility for the consequences that happen in response to your words. If you don't believe that I would suggest that you might be:
Pro-bullying
Pro - abuse
Pro-personal insults
Pro-Fuck responsibilities I'm alright Jack
Pro-not caring  for vulnerable members of YOUR community
Pro-laughing, and finger pointing out a persons disabilities is ok
Pro-Making up lies and portraying them as truth in order to save face
Pro-Campaigning to force some one out of this community because they disagreed
Pro-Recruiting other members to join in mocking and bullying another member
Pro-standing in silence and taking no action against abusive people who deliberately abuse other members

Surely this is not what we are and who we have become?
Surely this is not what you are and who you have become?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

hullo

I can see you're very passion-ful, and in fairness you should be commended for your stance. personally I don't think it's right or wrong

"should I be allowed to write a poem titled "I hate all niggers" I think the short answer is yes you should. I wouldn't write it, because I don't feel that way.

more often than not it would be more acceptable to put the same hateful shit into a poem titled "why I don't really like African folk" , or more acceptable still if it were rolled up into nice metaphors etc

I'm curious (is all, not looking for the OK fkn coral) if it's the thought which is (should be) forbidden or just that one word

thank you muchly for reading    

runaway-mindtrain
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 30th July 2017
Forum Posts: 759

Our site involves freedom of creativity....but it is meant to be a constructive comment community...free speech happens at a political rally and two activists are arguing with cops standing by...they can hate and fuss all day long....it takes one stating a terroristic threat towards personal harm to stop it...and the cop can make an arrest... DUP can never be so broadband and outspoken...perhaps on the forums...but the comment sections must be more decent... as our personal responsibility holds it in control....just as all real communities must work...

RByron418
R Byron Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 16th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 48

Free speech has nothing to do with "acceptance" any more than tolerance equals "liking".

Free speech is a two way street:  You can say what you want, and I, and we, can respond how we want or choose to not listen at all.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

RByron418 said:Free speech has nothing to do with "acceptance" any more than tolerance equals "liking".

Free speech is a two way street:  You can say what you want, and I, and we, can respond how we want or choose to not listen at all.

does that apply to personal Insults, personal abuse, individual persecution and bullying?

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5600

RByron418 said:

But all freedoms must be used with wisdom which includes common sense, common courtesy and morality—just because you can, does that really mean that you should?

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

MadameLavender said:

But all freedoms must be used with wisdom which includes common sense, common courtesy and morality—just because you can, does that really mean that you should?

not strictly  true. freedoms don't normally have prerequisites like wisdom or common sense. look at the waves of challenges stupid people took this year. one person burned herself severely in a 'burn yourself severely challenge' this is part of freedom and its also a part of the consequences of actions.

freedoms don't require manners. freedom of speech / expression certainly doesn't

"just because you can, does that really mean that you should?"

what it really means is you can.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 87

Dear Northern1,  Free Speech/ Freedom of Expression is usually the antithesis of Censorship....however, all freedoms must be regarded with responsibility.  The expression of an opinion that is non-prejudicial, does not threaten, does not exploit and is respectful of another's physical and/or emotional demeanor should be allowed (as part of a meaningful dialectic).  We can't all have the same opinion; dissent creates freedom.  I DO recognize that any private website controls the content and tone of any entry on that site.   (I'm relieved to learn that I may NOT be the only one to voice an unpopular comment on this site...).   Thank You for reading!

Northern1
Fire of Insight
Iceland
Joined 15th Apr 2016
Forum Posts: 228

Dear PoetWarrior, What is respectful to one is disrespectful to another.  How is an insult determined and who determines it?  Where does hate speech begin and where does it end?  How can we ask respectful use of language at the same time as we ban it?  These are valid questions.
This site however can set the rules it likes, no one disputes that.
Thank you for reading :-)

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018

Northern1 said:Dear PoetWarrior, What is respectful to one is disrespectful to another.  How is an insult determined and who determines it?  Where does hate speech begin and where does it end?  How can we ask respectful use of language at the same time as we ban it?  These are valid questions.
This site however can set the rules it likes, no one disputes that.
Thank you for reading :-)

Yes, the site DOES have that (and many other) rules; it must!  You posed some essential questions. I think that taste and civility are the considerations regarding socialized peoples.  In Democracies, there has to be a balance; it is usually self-enforced.  No?   Thanks.

poet Anonymous

MadameLavender said:But all freedoms must be used with wisdom which includes common sense, common courtesy and morality—just because you can, does that really mean that you should?

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018

Miss_Sub said:

I agree with you, 100%.  That's where civility, socialization and common sense come in!  

Go to page:
Go to: