who gets to choose what  'is' right? and what 'is' superior

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

just a few questions bugging...and begging the mind for answers:

who gets to choose what is right?

the question the mind's asking is what is 'right'? and what and why something or anything that makes right 'right'? is it our values?

if so, then what if some opposite values/different values dearer to multitudes of others? like for example - (pleeeeeeaaase do not target the example, look at the broader point am trying to put across via this example), killing a cow for meat is fine for billion plus of humanity and for similar if not equal number of humans it is a sin to the extent it is a crime. And then there are the vegans and vegetarians and others to whom all life is sacred, and doing so gives them the emotional satisfaction i have heard from at least a few of them..feeling of superiority alongside the moral/ethics side satisfaction.

Similar example is of people of different cultures(let's leave religion out of this topic..coz that'll be an endless loop) the West says the western civilization/culture is superior to those of the tribals/eastern/middle-eastern and vice versa when we go east.

from a neutral observer's point of view..lets us just say you're an alien...how ..would you determine what is 'right' and what is 'superior'?

Few points to those fellow members, friends, poets and all who are taking time to answer this request for answers, to remember:

this is just a humble invitation for expression of your opinions/views/reasons, not a contest, debate or point scoring/ego satisfying contest.

Strong views are welcome but attempts at imposition on others not in agreement are not.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

As a stringent vegetarian, I in no way look down upon anyone who eats meat.  I have friends who consume rare steaks in front of me; I don't blink an eye.

If a vegetarian and/or vegan berates another's choice in the name of "Love", then they still struggle within themselves, and have not yet reached that place of peace and acceptance.  Each person is on their own evolutionary cycle, and sometimes it takes lifetimes to reach certain points in that cycle.  

I believe animals have souls, and do not deserve to be raised in factory farms ( where they never see the sun or a blade of grass ), specifically for food.  Where they're cannibalized to eat the leftover waste of their fellow herd members post slaughter.

It is standard practice to ground or suffocate male chicks alive in the egg industry, because they are of no use.  

It is standard practice in the industry to rape female cows mechanically so they stay pregnant to produce milk in tbe dairy industry.  And because calves are byproducts, they are taken from their mothers at 24 hours and placed in veal crates because milk is for profit, not for calves.

All of the above is barbaric and cruel.  And I will not support it by my purchases.  That you ( general not literal ) do is your choice and personal evolution.

The family farm where animals are loved and cared for is different.  If you're going to eat meat, which contributes to the potential suffering and death of an animal, at least research where it originates that you're not supporting greed and cruelty.

Because you are what you eat in more ways than one - both physically and spiritually.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Ahavati said:As a stringent vegetarian, I in no way look down upon anyone who eats meat.  I have friends who consume rare steaks in front of me; I don't blink an eye.

If a vegetarian and/or vegan berates another's choice in the name of "Love", then they still struggle within themselves, and have not yet reached that place of peace and acceptance.  Each person is on their own evolutionary cycle, and sometimes it takes lifetimes to reach certain points in that cycle.  

I believe animals have souls, and do not deserve to be raised in factory farms ( where they never see the sun or a blade of grass ), specifically for food.  Where they're cannibalized to eat the leftover waste of their fellow herd members post slaughter.

It is standard practice to ground or suffocate male chicks alive in the egg industry, because they are of no use.  

It is standard practice in the industry to rape female cows mechanically so they stay pregnant to produce milk in tbe dairy industry.  And because calves are byproducts, they are taken from their mothers at 24 hours and placed in veal crates because milk is for profit, not for calves.

All of the above is barbaric and cruel.  And I will not support it by my purchases.  That you ( general not literal ) do is your choice and personal evolution.

The family farm where animals are loved and cared for is different.  If you're going to eat meat, which contributes to the potential suffering and death of an animal, at least research where it originates that your not supporting greed and cruelty.

Because you are what you eat in more ways than one - both physically and spiritually.

I welcome you dear Ahavati,
for both your presence and enlightening response.

Absolute respect for what you do and why you do what you do.
I have no issues with any of the above people i.e omnivores, vegans, vegetarians that is their life, their choice based one their, as you have hit the nail on it's head, the key word "evolutionary" phase/stage/level. And that is fine.

I welcome your views which shows solid reason and maturity and in no way the least, your humanity.

The key word to me was evolution, and actually that triggered a few answers of my own and for my own questions, i now see the benefit of asking peers here for answers that I have not clarity of thought.

Evolution as your answer triggered answers, has allowed mankind, through trial and errors(over the ages) with doing certain things many ways to find the best possible way(though not successful in most important things like living peacefully with non-believers )

My broader question is about right...how we determine what is right? and also the other question what is superior? does such a thing in reality exist? I again repeat my example of culture. (Personally i believe all cultures eastern, indigenous and western) are in their own way beautiful and respectable(we may not like certain aspects but are we right to look down on them?)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

"Right" and "Superiority" are ego-based.  While keeping in mind that actions do have consequences, i.e. - violating another's rights through assault, thievery, etc.  

But to hold oneself in higher esteem or superior is strictly ego.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Ahavati said:"Right" and "Superiority" are ego-based.  While keeping in mind that actions do have consequences, i.e. - violating another's rights through assault, thievery, etc.  

But to hold oneself in higher esteem or superior is strictly ego.

true.

i agree, 100% on both counts.

One observation I may be wrong, but have observed sadly millions of masses if not billions are raised on and in that very ego based belief of superiority.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

Well this is an interesting discussion, so I will have to jump in.

Penguins.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/09/sex-depravity-penguins-scott-antarctic

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

rabbitquest said:Well this is an interesting discussion, so I will have to jump in.

Penguins.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/jun/09/sex-depravity-penguins-scott-antarctic

welcome dear Bunny Man...
Thank you for the input...yes...i get the gist. What was shocking and morally "wrong" for the Adélie penguins, their depravity... well i get the answer.

Awesome article(.....until TheGuardian asked me to part with my money....as it does every time it sees me there  )

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Todski, I understand what you're saying; however, believe we're referring to two different issues.  

First, to be compared academically, more qualified for a job, or physically able to perform tasks is a different issue than viewing yourself as a superior human being in general; the latter being what I was addressing.

Secondly, what propells me is excellence I see in others, not superiority.  Because what I personally consider excellent another may not care for.  Subjectivity to personal taste is a consideration, as is opinion.

If I do consider something superior, it's a character trait, act of kindness, etc.  Not the actual person because we're all evolving.

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>
Dear Todski,
I welcome the presence of both you and your views and reasons. Absolutely loved your response and did make lot of sense to me.

I will depart shortly and may not be back for several hours, but I will respond in due course my views and thoughts.

Before that I would say 'better' is not same as 'superior', yes many people are born with exceptional qualities and some attain excellence through sheer hard work and determination, and that is awesome and no way wrong. But in my personal opinion make that person 'superior', better yes absolutely yes, superior...abilities wise yes but not in terms of their humanity.

I loved your detailed composed and well reasoned response and for that I am very thankful and chuffed.

Thank You!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

We don't;  we accept that we define things differently instead of attempting to convince the other that one of the two is superior, or right.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

we're given the words right and wrong through various mediums  from a very early age through life

I think what the words do for many people is turn a very colourful world into black and white. I think they also take away, on some level, our own self accountability and growth.

look up Milgram, it's an interesting study          

poet Anonymous

Another interesting viewpoint here is the philosophical idea of utilitarianism. This is the idea that the greatest good equals the greatest number of beneficiaries.

It argues that there is no such thing as a good or bad deed, but it is the consequence of the action that makes it so. I’m quite inclined to agree.

Anyway. Relevant here. Look it up if you ever can’t sleep.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: