United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

David_Macleod said:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1bE-seH01k&feature=share

Fascinating Jim!
Indeed Bones
Logical Captain
Shut up Spock

No! YOU forgot the wit and wisdom of the Scotsman?!

Great video.  Most apropos.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Passion is as important as logic ;

Negate or elevate either , you do not have human ;

Feeling is body related ;

Logic is mind oriented ;

Feet in the earth , head in the sky !

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:1)  A critique posted on my latest poem was reported and  subsequently removed.  For the record,  I am not interested in who reported or removed it.  I had it restored by the Webmiss because I saw no violation of guidelines regarding its content.

Unless a response is derogatory, inflammatory, or an outright personal attack, should the thread starter be allowed to choose what gets reported?  

2) I have received several private messages regarding a certain member that disturbs me.  First, the member has violated no guidelines.  Secondly, personal feelings, vendettas, and mob mentality affect the site's healthy growth and member retention.  We've lost several good members because of this type of behavior.

Instead of forming a posse to chase them from town,  why not see how it plays out?  See what you're supposed to learn from the situation - how you might grow.  

Accept that you can't get along with everyone; don't take it personally and get some space before speaking your truth in a non-defensive way.  The best teachers in life are those you don't click with.   And you'll keep meeting them and meeting them and meeting them until you learn to overcome.
I fully agree. Thumbs up dear Ahavati.

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018
Forum Posts: 297

I agree...on both counts... and if I'm not sure about reporting someone or something, I'll contact Admin, and let them decide whether there is reason to act... it is their forum... they make the rules... we don't have to join if we don't like them.

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

I only say this because your sister writes a little better than you ,
Since you said you could take it I will go ahead and just lay it in the table. I rarely know what you are talking about.There, I said it.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

you always must remember it is only someones opinion of your writing ...not a all consuming truth about anything as who voted them king or queen of poetry...i would like your honest opinion of my work but feel it is seldom given...oh well

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

SatansSperm said:you always must remember it is only someones opinion of your writing ...not a all consuming truth about anything as who voted them king or queen of poetry...i would like your honest opinion of my work but feel it is seldom given...oh well

Have you submitted your work to the Honestly Crafted Critique group?  With few exceptions, I rarely critique in the forum.

Ely
E.A.Rothwell
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 20th May 2018
Forum Posts: 297

I begin to believe that fewer folk than I had thought understand the critique... there are many aspects to a poem... and to a poet.
I worked fpr many years in a field that required I first critique a student... then offer an assessment of what they needed to achieve their goal(s)
Then teach them how to do what I suggested...
*The biggest obstacle for most people to actually achieving their goal was often their  own attachment to the habit they were trying to break.*
I saw this time and again... both genders too.
It's simple...
We have to be open to change, if we want to succeed. Ely

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ely said:I begin to believe that fewer folk than I had thought understand the critique... there are many aspects to a poem... and to a poet.
I worked fpr many years in a field that required I first critique a student... then offer an assessment of what they needed to achieve their goal(s)
Then teach them how to do what I suggested...
*The biggest obstacle for most people to actually achieving their goal was often their  own attachment to the habit they were trying to break.*
I saw this time and again... both genders too.
It's simple...
We have to be open to change, if we want to succeed. Ely

Many people here write socially, that is to interact with other writers without the intent of becoming serious about writing.  To some it's a mere hobby they enjoy; to others, a means of expressing emotion.  There is nothing wrong with any of these.

We see exactly what you see time and time again as well.  We've even had some revise everything but the suggested edits on what was a pretty good poem to begin with, except for the suggested edits.  

Until the attachments ( mostly to habit and ego ) are broken, an assessment would appear futile.  Although we have gone that extra mile to provide one.  

Then we've had some really good writers who teach us a thing or two, which is always refreshing.  We're here to learn and grow as writers too, and that's more often than not accomplished through critiquing and being critiqued.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: