the line break IS the punctuation

81.82% • 9 votes • yea
18.18% • 2 votes • nay
Total votes: 11
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

the line break IS the punctuation

poet
Magdalena
AnitaMagdalena
Tyrant of Words
54awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2412

Throw your paint at the canvas and see where it lands, then throw some more.  Didn't some humans become great artists doing that.  It's about capturing the audience [if you want an audience that is] not how correctly or not so correctly punctuation is placed.

I've always used lines breaks for pause and movement.  

ee cummings didn't use punctuation or capitalization  

poet
Gahddess_Worship
Dangerous Mind
United States
24awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 348

Noted

poet
lepperochan
Craic-in-a-box
Tyrant of Words
Palestine
64awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12182

It's hard to define poetry. so it's hard to pin it down with rules (I'd have thought ) as I understand it form may be rigid in terms of syllable count, line count, rhyme scheme (if any)  etc, but none demand punctuation

punctuation carries its own rules wherever it shows up. even that can be stretched. ellipses' for example should have three dots. but two can do the job etc

that said, the Capital letter after full stop rule kinda falls by the wayside in poetry. be it for reasons of aesthetics', rebellion or habit. more people don't than do  

let's face it, grammar can easily take a stretch in poetry if the result is poetic. I, for example can be left from the start of a sentence without  much interference. other side of that coin is tense clash has potential derail a poem, though even that has its exceptions'


so, where there can be stringent rules and regs there also exists a beautiful chaos where there can be anything you want






poet
Gahddess_Worship
Dangerous Mind
United States
24awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 348

lepperochan said:It's hard to define poetry. so it's hard to pin it down with rules (I'd have thought ) as I understand it form may be rigid in terms of syllable count, line count, rhyme scheme (if any)  etc, but none demand punctuation

punctuation carries its own rules wherever it shows up. even that can be stretched. ellipses' for example should have three dots. but two can do the job etc

that said, the Capital letter after full stop rule kinda falls by the wayside in poetry. be it for reasons of aesthetics', rebellion or habit. more people don't than do  

let's face it, grammar can easily take a stretch in poetry if the result is poetic. I, for example can be left from the start of a sentence without  much interference. other side of that coin is tense clash has potential derail a poem, though even that has its exceptions'


so, where there can be stringent rules and regs there also exists a beautiful chaos where there can be anything you want


I agree. Your last paragraph,  to me, captures very well the nature of poetry.  I remember my very first critique on this site.  I was congratulated on a good poem but was told that initial caps per line were no longer necessary or in style.  I accepted that as wrot but after some resesrch found that neither convention is universally accepted. I was confused

poet
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Fire of Insight
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 541

What Is Convention Other Than Dogmatic Intention ?

poet
Gahddess_Worship
Dangerous Mind
United States
24awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 348

Blackwolf said:What Is Convention Other Than Dogmatic Intention ?
Well said.

poet
slowfires5
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 30th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 21

a poem becomes a long featureless road without punctuation,

punctuation becomes time, time to read the poem,

time to savour each line or sentence,

people can moralise on punctuation, but a poem becomes mutable it leaving it out,

it becomes a rant, there is on this poetry site the irresistible fascination,

too leaving it out, driving from start to stop; the poet's craftsmanship

of published works all have punctuations;  

poet
anna_grin
grin
Fire of Insight
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 1487

slowfires5 said:a poem becomes a long featureless road without punctuation,

punctuation becomes time, time to read the poem,

time to savour each line or sentence,

people can moralise on punctuation, but a poem becomes mutable it leaving it out,

it becomes a rant, there is on this poetry site the irresistible fascination,

too leaving it out, driving from start to stop; the poet's craftsmanship

of published works all have punctuations;  


oh no honey what is; u doing

poet
TheGoddessMinerva
Minerva Grace
Dangerous Mind
United States
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd Dec 2014
Forum Posts: 337

Magdalena said:

ee cummings didn't use punctuation or capitalization  


but ee cummings did use punctuation. he may have broke up with the grammar/punctuation rules, but he did use it. i think he was one of those people that knew the rules, but decided to explore elsewhere. i would also argue, that some of his poetry isn't accessible to everyone. you and i, and others here, could read is stuff and understand because we have spent time reading poetry. we aren't shocked by crazy line breaks and punctuation in seemingly random places. but if you were to give my dad a sheet of paper with ee cummings buffalo bill's on it and ask him to read it and make sense of it, he would have trouble. because he is NOT a poetry reader.

i've been thinking on this since it was first posted and i'm still conflicted. i can see using the line break as a pause, as emphasis, as a literal break. so yes, that takes the place of the punctuation. i can see that, and when used i can most often get the gist of the poem/thought without all the images running together.

BUT, i'll stand by my earlier statement that sometimes a poem is just easier to read when real, actual punctuation is used. because we're all taught basic punctuation/grammar in school so we have a basic understanding. it levels the playing field for those inexperienced poetry readers. again, my opinion. i am not trying to dispense rules.   i sometimes just wonder if we've made poetry this weird, esoteric thing when i think it should be able to be enjoyed by a vast majority of people.

*i just realized i published my first response under a different profile (DaisyGrace). sorry for any confusion!

poet
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Fire of Insight
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 541

"i sometimes just wonder if we've made poetry this weird, esoteric thing"

I think I am a weird , esoteric thing that writes poetry , and sees the world

through different eyes and thought frame than the mainstream  ;


I think there are more than just me out there with this wellness among the

many with a more mundane consciousness entrained by society #$%*@ .

Therefore we shall always have the perpetuation of the weird , strange ,

bizzare people , poets , poems , and ideas of language and punk to nation

as Johnny Rotten would have said...O

                                                                       u

                                                                               t !

poet
Magdalena
AnitaMagdalena
Tyrant of Words
54awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2412

TheGoddessMinerva said:

but ee cummings did use punctuation. he may have broke up with the grammar/punctuation rules, but he did use it. i think he was one of those people that knew the rules, but decided to explore elsewhere. i would also argue, that some of his poetry isn't accessible to everyone. you and i, and others here, could read is stuff and understand because we have spent time reading poetry. we aren't shocked by crazy line breaks and punctuation in seemingly random places. but if you were to give my dad a sheet of paper with ee cummings buffalo bill's on it and ask him to read it and make sense of it, he would have trouble. because he is NOT a poetry reader.
(DaisyGrace). sorry for any confusion!


Your right and I should have said, "he didn't use punctuation/capitalization in the manner it was meant for, he made his own creative uses of it"  That's my point really, no need for restrictions on creativity.


Go to page:
Go to: