Go to page:

Do you overlook people less advanced than you ?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

"My question is: do you more advanced writers overlook the less advanced when reading the poems ?"

No , I am always looking for new works / new poets when I have the

time , and I am more than happy to help them in any way I can...

Sometimes a new poet also inspires me through their thoughts in

their submitted poems , as they grow in their ability...

And do the less advanced writers feel out of their depths when reading the more experienced and advanced writers work ?

I would most sincerely hope not !

I could only hope it would challenge and inspire them !

And if they asked for feedback , or assistance , I would ,

and do my best , to follow through on those questions ;

Any poet here , is welcome to ask me for such !

poet Anonymous

I am an editor if ato  poetry ezine.  To be honest I tend to look more closely at the less advanced poets. I have found that advanced writers submit with expectations and egos.

spdred
spidey
Lost Thinker
Indonesia
Joined 14th Nov 2017
Forum Posts: 6

yo, i can't say that i'm "advanced" in any way, but since english is a native language to me, and since i've been exposed to english literature at a young age, i do recognize that i have an advantage.
having said that, a part of my ego always wants to overlook and undermine "less advanced" poets. but i make a conscious effort to put that aside, and try to recognize potential and heart. keeping track of people's progress and watching them grow is always amazing to me.

and for the second question... well, sometimes i do feel out of my depth, but i just keep in mind that the function of my poetry is as a means for catharsis. i aim to achieve beauty, yes, but as long as i get my work out there, and strive to be better than i was yesterday, i don't necessarily feel insecure about my work, or my language... and neither should anyone else!
if there's anyone you should compete with, compete with yourself 😊 and learn from everyone else, but never lose sight of yourself.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14583

Do you more advanced writers overlook the less advanced when reading the poems ?

No. Time is my taskmaster.  A personal life of photography/editing, writing/copy editing is time consuming.   Here, as a Co-director of Honestly Crafted Critique with JohnnyBlaze, and a facebook page scheduler/editor, we spend an enormous amount of energy on various unseen things if not critiques, i.e. - monthly newsletter, new templates/tips we'll be releasing soon, scheduling posts, etc.  

And do the less advanced writers feel out of their depths when reading the more experienced and advanced writers work ?

We are all teachers and students with room to learn and grow - no one is above either despite how advanced; however,  I can certainly understand feeling intimidated by someone you perceive as more advanced.  I certainly have at times. I have MUCH to learn.

That feeling is nudging you out of your comfort zone so you can grow.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Likewise, time is an issue. I usually don't have much for anything other than critiquing and co-directing with Ahavati in the Honestly Crafted Critique Group.

As for the latter question, I consider myself more farther along as opposed to more advanced in certain aspects of poetry. For example, as far as forms go, I'm way behind.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 817

When I first posted poems on DUP I pondered whether I qualify as a poet. I have since come to realize that poetry is an intensely personal baring of the soul and that the idea of "advanced" is a subjective one. some of our most famous poetry is rough hewn and straight from the soul. I do enjoy dabbling in the traditional structures of poetry but I also enjoy learning more modern styles.
I personally get overwhelmed by the number of poets we have on this site and often it's by pure happenstance that I read a new poet.  My passion is storytelling and I really enjoy reading stories so I look for them and the more genuine they are the better. I am fascinated by the human condition and anything that teaches me in this regard is a treasure.
I will try and reach out to the broader community of poets

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14583

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

You're welcome. Open communication is key.

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 180

Welcome to DUP, Sawyer!  

You have definitely brought a very interesting topic that merits answers even if just to satisfy peaked curiosity. I completely understand where you are coming from with your question, as I, myself, create “not so advanced” poetry...FAAAAR from it.  Standing next to some of the Shakespeareans here on DUP, ALL my work looks like Dr. Seuss.  

However, it does NOT stop me from admiring and standing in AWE of the cleverly-outstanding work of the “advanced” writers. Sometimes, their skills are so way advanced that I am unable to fully grasp the meaning of their lines.  However, I take it as a challenge OR just gasp appreciating the beautiful compilation of words they’ve skillfully weaved into lines....

The BEST thing about this website that I have found while being a part of DUP is that NO ONE, as far as I know, has EVER looked down on any other poets’ work here, even when you submit a poem requesting honest critique, which is what you MAY receive to “BETTER” your poem, not “tear it down.”

When standing next to “Kings and Queens of Poetry,” how do you NOT feel Small?  DON’T COMPARE yourself against them and know YOU HAVE A PLACE!  You are DEFINITELY NOT ALONE if you are NOT a Shakespearean or even come remotely close!  Every write of an author and poet is UNIQUE because each author and poet is a UNIQUE individual...producing UNIQUE expressions.  

Don’t judge your work based on howm many ‘likes’ you receive either! I have seen OUTSTANDING work with 56 Views and only 6 likes with ZERO comments in regards to “honest critique” or “reason for dissatisfaction.”  There are some whose poem reaches viewers in the HUNDREDS and with SINGLE DIGIT likes when, in my opinion, the poem merits at least HALF of viewer population ‘likes.’  Why they don’t click ‘like’ AND don’t leave any feedback? I really don’t know....but DON’T go rating the value of your work by the “like” button!

Don’t be discouraged to join the competitions, either!  When you join, just look at it as an opportunity to display your BEST work and if you win, stand proud but if not, don’t be disheartened!  At the very least, you stuck your work and yourself out there and made yourself known to someone who may not have otherwise known you were a part of DUP!  (you may earn yourself followers even if you did NOT win the comp, per say). This Dr. Seuss has won 2 awards, by luck or chance...I don’t know nor care....I’m just happy....and point being that even for the DR SEUSS poets here like me is NOT impossible to win...just may take a bit longer than for the Shakeseareans!

In conclusion and reaching the bottom line: Welcome again to DUP!  Just do YOU....just be YOU....Write your heart out....Post your work...and you WILL fit RIGHT IN....Promise!

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 817

Dr. Seuss was one of our best...I think 😁

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

Time.

If you feel like a less advanced poet then what you can do with is some time. Time to read the better and more skilled poets. Time to enter competitions. Time to experience life and write about that. Time to find your niche and style.

Though there is not really barrier between any poet here writing an astounding poem or winning a competition with all the glory that brings. If you (the proverbial you) see a poet who has skill coming out of every orifice (yuck) then by all means follow that poet to have some of their creativity rub off on you. Or indeed, comment on that poem and feed their ego and get to have a peek behind the curtain to understand how their magic came about. Or indeed message that poet to get some tips and tricks and knowledge, but just go easy on the asking to begin with and be nice and patient. Hardly anyone likes an inquisition out of the blue.

Find your comfort zone but do not be afraid to venture out of it, just do not copy the style of someone else as that will not work. However if another poem uses a certain form or theme, do some background research on it to maybe help in crafting, or just give it a go yourself. A good form or style or theme (including the free verse form) is a good foundation to build a masterpiece or simply a nice piece on.

The alternative is to bumble around here for a few years and maybe get asked to be a moderator, but it is not for everyone.

poet Anonymous

Last night I had an interesting conversation with a lovely lady I know about the concept of fitting in.

As she told me about her life, and moving here from another country, she proceeded to tell me that she’d always struggled to see where she fit living in the United Kingdom.

Y’know what she said? : In the end it doesn’t matter where I fit or where I don’t fit. It’s where I belong.

I’ve come to this conclusion with the DU really. Truth is, there’s a lot of people that do fit, and of course some who don’t, same as everything. The ones that do fit get as much as they put in out of this website. They belong here. They grow here. They become here.

My opinion of another writer on the DUP is not based solely on whether they can write well or not - it’s whether they want to learn. It’s whether they can be bothered with words. It’s whether they belong.

Because, poetry.

Talk business with me, and I’ll talk business with you. Come in here and post 3,000 memes and a load of buttsucking half measures... I’m probably not ever going to read you.

It really is that simple.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

Ah, but memes are somewhat an art form in their selves, and fuel for that finicky thing called inspiration. Though, yes, post meme after meme and you will be politely told to cease and desist post-haste.

"The race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" - Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann.

As for fitting in I don't think that was ever a feasible choice for me, so it really is not for everyone.

poet Anonymous

Viddax said:Memes are somewhat an art form

Ah, but gifs... gifs are where it’s at!

Viddax said:As for fitting in I don't think that was ever a feasible choice for me, so it really is not for everyone.

I feel you’ve missed the point somewhat on the fitting in. It’s not whether or not you fit in - it’s whether you belong. You clearly belong here, soldier.

Go to page:
Go to: